Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
Just to lob another spanner in the works,

It depends on what the breeders idea of improving the breed comes down to,
spanner two:
again in my breed cant talk for others,

often show bread dogs are very diff to pet bread dogs, not just in looks and conformation but general attitude,
I often find show bread dogs are more hyper, up on the muscle, kinda like a young TB race horse, hot blooded

non show breeding
being more laid back, lazy to a point, less reactive in situations, just general big plods, more like your clydesdale horses as aposed to race horse,

just my observations of course, but I feel I need to keep my breeding within the handling ability of owners, thus that is high on my list,,,,when you think about it, breedings a bloody nightmare eh
This hyper quality in show dogsI find too in GSD's, the bitch I've just taken on doesn't like to gait round a ring for half an hour at a time, constantly keeping going & hyper, this is why she was rehomed by her breeder in the first place, but its great for me. She's more like a greyhound loves a mad 10 minutes but is then happy to lie by the fire for a few hours. The dog that does well in the ring is often a problem in a home where the owners are out at work part of the day & the dog is bored. Its one of the main things that worried me when I was breeding as I only bred when I wanted a dog to keep but what I wanted wasn't neccessarily what was best in a pet dog. Used to aim for the happy medium but I'm not certain I always got it.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
This hyper quality in show dogsI find too in GSD's, the bitch I've just taken on doesn't like to gait round a ring for half an hour at a time, constantly keeping going & hyper, this is why she was rehomed by her breeder in the first place, but its great for me. She's more like a greyhound loves a mad 10 minutes but is then happy to lie by the fire for a few hours. The dog that does well in the ring is often a problem in a home where the owners are out at work part of the day & the dog is bored. Its one of the main things that worried me when I was breeding as I only bred when I wanted a dog to keep but what I wanted wasn't neccessarily what was best in a pet dog. Used to aim for the happy medium but I'm not certain I always got it.
thanks for that sue, very open and honest of you, I guess the getting the balance right is a hard thing to do, I have been pretty lucky so far as I new where I was going {kinda prior to buying my dogs} so far I have not had to use an outside stud, the two litters I have had I know exactly what I have got in these dogs the same will go for the next litter, then as happens I will need to look for a stud, I have one lined up but you just dont know whats round the corner, so It may be a hit or a miss or I may just chicken out and the 4th litter may never come to pass, I shall take it as It comes I guess,
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Breeding should be about trying to better your chosen breed in whichever area you are interested in - whether that be working, show or pet. I also prefer to buy a pup from a breeder who is keeping one for themselves. I would never breed unless it was to further a working line (in collies) and to keep a pup for myself.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6