Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Absolutely
Mastiffs have the same tail carriage as Rotties but they don't dock working Mastiffs
never seen a mastiff in the forces, guess its down to the scent work side of things,
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by DanishPastry View Post
if some moron wants to swing a dog by its tail, I doubt he gives a flying f*ck whether it is high or low set
Arguments for docking just doesn't hold water!
hence the reason they prefer dogs with a high set tail to be docked, no police man wants his dog swung around,
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 12:34 PM
I think the last thing a criminal is going to do is faff about searching for a tail when faced by a trained police protection dog
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
I think the last thing a criminal is going to do is faff about searching for a tail when faced by a trained police protection dog
Agree absolutely think they would be more concerned about the front end. To a criminal a dogs tail is a tail wether it be high set or low set. I think they would know by grabbing a dog by its tail in these circumstances the dog is not going to turn around and lick them.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
not my view becky thats the police view,
Sorry was referring to DP Danish Pastry not you lol!
Becky
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Agree absolutely think they would be more concerned about the front end. To a criminal a dogs tail is a tail wether it be high set or low set. I think they would know by grabbing a dog by its tail in these circumstances the dog is not going to turn around and lick them.
often dogs are used for crowd control, so it wouldnt have to be the person the dog had hold of, but it will not matter what I say your all clued up, so the stance your all taking is the dogs used in the police force, army and so on have no need to be docked?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 01:31 PM
I don't believe any dog needs to be docked but I certainly can't see a need for security dogs to be docked no.
Becky
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I don't believe any dog needs to be docked but I certainly can't see a need for security dogs to be docked no.
Becky
Becky have you ever handled dogs used for police type work? there are many sinarios that can and do happen, sadly some dogs are killed, badly injured each year working for police and army,
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't doubt that, but I doubt very much they have died as a result of a tail injury. To be honest the only dogs I've heard of die of tail injuries are puppies that have been docked!
Becky
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Well one of my dogs was regullally used for crowd control as his handler in the breed ring worked security & his own bitch was too sharp to use for football matches so he used my dog who looked & sounded the part without the bite. If anyone had suggested docking him I'd have been mad but as all the dogs were GSDs none were docked.
Page 6 of 17 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »