View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 10:15 AM
On a different but similar subject, my grandmother's sister recently died of old age. She was 94. She had a 6 year old cat who she'd had from a 4 week old kitten and hand fed herself. 6 is not an old age for cat really, I have a cat now who is 14 and still a spritely little lady.

When this lady died her cat was taken in by her granddaughter, whom lives alone with no other animals, just as the cat was used to. 1-1 attention. She took him on as she works from home and was looking into getting a pet anyway.

He didn't eat a single morsel after his owner died. His new owner even tried taking him back to his old house and staying with him there for a while, he ate a few small amounts there, but soon went progressively downhill.

They tried tube feeding him, even the vet was at a loss as what to do. I think you can guess what the outcome was for the poor little guy. I know he was not a dog, but I have heard of dogs doing the same thing.

On the other hand I think it would take Dusty a matter of days to feel comfortable elsewhere, and Charlie would be right at home after the first day as he is a tart! But like I said, i'd put money on mad dog pining for a long while.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 12:14 PM
I think dogs tend ot live in the moment a lot more than we do. They focus on what is happening in the here and now...food, walk, play, drink,sleep. I don't think (but I could be wrong!) that they actively 'miss' us. They may feel strange about being put in a new place or having a new routine, and that may unsettle some more than others, but I don't think they actively sit around and 'miss' us as we would do...
My pups have all remembered me. It is clear that they remember me and one was distracted form working when he cuaght a sniff of me as I was down wind of him. Do I think that means he misses me? Nope...I think my smell just triggered pleasant associations for him. It's been the same with them all.
I'm not saying dogs don't form bonds and like being with us, I am saying they are creatures of habit and routine and any changes to that will ultimately unsettle them. This can, at times, be interpreted as them 'missing'us.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I think dogs tend ot live in the moment a lot more than we do. They focus on what is happening in the here and now...food, walk, play, drink,sleep. I don't think (but I could be wrong!) that they actively 'miss' us. They may feel strange about being put in a new place or having a new routine, and that may unsettle some more than others, but I don't think they actively sit around and 'miss' us as we would do...
My pups have all remembered me. It is clear that they remember me and one was distracted form working when he cuaght a sniff of me as I was down wind of him. Do I think that means he misses me? Nope...I think my smell just triggered pleasant associations for him. It's been the same with them all.
I'm not saying dogs don't form bonds and like being with us, I am saying they are creatures of habit and routine and any changes to that will ultimately unsettle them. This can, at times, be interpreted as them 'missing'us.
Totally agree Ailsa. I think some worry about the concept that if their dog isn't supremely loyal then it mustn't love and care about them! It is in fact dogs just being dogs
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6