register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-04-2007, 05:42 PM
that is the way sales is though, they are always moving the goalposts, changing where you need to focus etc. You get good at doing one thing, and they change their minds and want you to be good at something entirely different.
You need to prove that nobody is hitting target really.
There will always be the favourite who is 'fed' though, once you are out of favour it is amazing how hard it is to hit target.
Have you heard anything from the Union or your Manager at all since you sent your sick note in?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Ah, the moving sales target!
Here's a little story. (Not about me, I had already been in sales & gotten out when this occured) Bill was a good enginer & a very nice guy, we worked in the same Systens Design Dept. in Cambridge. The company offered him a sales job in Scotland. I tried to talk him out of it but he took it, moved house & all his family to Edinburgh. First year he did well, about 5% over target, but had to work dam hard to get that. Second year his terget was doubled, yes 2 x the first year. A recession was looming & when Bill complained his manager said "Oh we set the first year target low so you ease into the job!!" Bill was devastated, not only had he no hope of hitting target, especially with the recession comming on, but had lost all his friends & contacts in Cambridge, and there was not a lot in his line in Edinburgh so he had to change jobs, sell his house, & move his family again. End of story.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
that is the way sales is though, they are always moving the goalposts, changing where you need to focus etc. You get good at doing one thing, and they change their minds and want you to be good at something entirely different.
You need to prove that nobody is hitting target really.
There will always be the favourite who is 'fed' though, once you are out of favour it is amazing how hard it is to hit target.
Have you heard anything from the Union or your Manager at all since you sent your sick note in?

My union guy rang back today before meeting HR bloke, said that seen as my diary included 3 people that it may be best sorting it out informally as i would have to go back and work with them....

But will get back to me by wednesday after speaking to HR guy...

I dont know if i will go back.... im looking into doing social work or counselling......
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Ah, the moving sales target!
Here's a little story. (Not about me, I had already been in sales & gotten out when this occured) Bill was a good enginer & a very nice guy, we worked in the same Systens Design Dept. in Cambridge. The company offered him a sales job in Scotland. I tried to talk him out of it but he took it, moved house & all his family to Edinburgh. First year he did well, about 5% over target, but had to work dam hard to get that. Second year his terget was doubled, yes 2 x the first year. A recession was looming & when Bill complained his manager said "Oh we set the first year target low so you ease into the job!!" Bill was devastated, not only had he no hope of hitting target, especially with the recession comming on, but had lost all his friends & contacts in Cambridge, and there was not a lot in his line in Edinburgh so he had to change jobs, sell his house, & move his family again. End of story.
sounds about right!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-04-2007, 09:50 PM
that little story rings so true. I saw it happen loads of times myself. People pumped up and believing they would earn loadsa money, moving their families and their lives across the country to places where they knew no one, come the end of a year, they would be quite literally dumped, having failed to jump through the requisite hoops
I used to have a little line at the bottom of my posts (it disappeared, no idea why) saying 'Depression is a Dark Room where you develop the next Chapter of your Life'
it came from a very interesting article I read which said that when something like you are experiencing now hits, it means that your body goes into some sort of hibernation and shuts you down because you cannot mentally or physically cope with any more. You then start developing the next chapter of your life because you quite literally cannot go back, you have to move forward, you start then looking for other doorways. It led to me starting my own little empire, because it gave me time to consider my options and then work out what direction I wanted to go.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 09:59 PM
that little story rings so true. I saw it happen loads of times myself. People pumped up and believing they would earn loadsa money, moving their families and their lives across the country to places where they knew no one, come the end of a year, they would be quite literally dumped, having failed to jump through the requisite hoops
I used to have a little line at the bottom of my posts (it disappeared, no idea why) saying 'Depression is a Dark Room where you develop the next Chapter of your Life'
it came from a very interesting article I read which said that when something like you are experiencing now hits, it means that your body goes into some sort of hibernation and shuts you down because you cannot mentally or physically cope with any more. You then start developing the next chapter of your life because you quite literally cannot go back, you have to move forward, you start then looking for other doorways. It led to me starting my own little empire, because it gave me time to consider my options and then work out what direction I wanted to go.

I think that is what is happening....

Its led me to think i would like to do a job where i am aout and about helping people and engaging with them actually doing some good!

My bro and Sis are independent financial advisers and doing extremely well after leaving co-op and i can see what they say when they tell me to stick at it and leave once i have my qualifications and go on my own, my parents both want me to stick with it...but whilst doing the dishes today, i realised i just have no desire for it... i dont care about it and yes i would be working for myself but i doubt i would really have that kind of motivation.... i dont want to work from home, i want to leave that behind when i walk in through my front door....

Rick says he is behind me whatever i want to do so long as i can still pay half the bills....

Alex
xx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-04-2007, 10:03 PM
just keep taking their money as long as you can possibly spin it out whilst you make some decisions. Do not be rushed into anything, do not resign, no matter what sort of pressures are put on you. Everytime they pay you it is a sort of payback for the way you have been treated!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 10:07 PM
just keep taking their money as long as you can possibly spin it out whilst you make some decisions. Do not be rushed into anything, do not resign, no matter what sort of pressures are put on you. Everytime they pay you it is a sort of payback for the way you have been treated!
Im gonna try and take as long as possible to really decide what i want and to aplly for jobs!!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Best of luck to you - I really hope things improve.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Best of luck to you - I really hope things improve.
thanks hun - i have seen a job in social work - trainee social worker with bolton council work and train for qualifications as you go...so gonna apply for that...

Alex
xx
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >