View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 11:24 PM
I have to agree that as much sensitivity should be given to non smoking people as to non smoking animals (and if any of you are freely giving your dogs a fag in the morning, shame on you! ).

I have to say that both my Dad and my Brother smoke like chimneys and quite happily do so in the kitchen in my presence like they're doing me and everyone else a favour ( ), but all our animals have lived to a good age??? Bonnie suffered most of the smoking and died at the age of 15, Woody is now heading towards 12 and Pickles 15. Although the latter two are rescues so may have had early lives smoke free? Also it may be possible that as smoke rises and dogs are generally closer to the ground that they are at less of a risk due to the ciggy smoke?

One last thing for those that go on about Cigarettes and tax. As far as I'm concerned smoking related diseases cost the NHS far more than the tax gained from cigarettes, so if we were lucky and smoking magically stopped, then the government would gain anyway would it not? So not only would we all gain from smoke free lives, we'd all save money! (Or the government would find another way to continue taking the remainding money!)
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Smoking related NHS treatment costs 1p for every £1 smokers pay in fag tax.

Smokers fund others.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post

Smokers fund others.

Or perhaps themselves when they need treatment?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 11:46 PM

Smokers fund others.
Could I see some stats please, cheers!

Also are you just counting the treatment of smokers themselves, or those inflicted through passive smoking?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Jeez - I've no stats but I'll look into it.

It was something I read when there was talk about stopping NHS treatment for smoking relating illness.

A lot was said about the amout of tax smokers pay and how it was unfair to eliminate treatment for the problems they suffer.

I'm sure (from memory) that the breakdown in cost was about a pound to a penny and how the government who were keen to be seen as 'anti smoking' simply couldn't afford to really reduce the number of smokers.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Jeez - I've no stats but I'll look into it.

It was something I read when there was talk about stopping NHS treatment for smoking relating illness.

A lot was said about the amout of tax smokers pay and how it was unfair to eliminate treatment for the problems they suffer.

I'm sure (from memory) that the breakdown in cost was about a pound to a penny and how the government who were keen to be seen as 'anti smoking' simply couldn't afford to really reduce the number of smokers.
Stats would be helpful, heresay means little to me I'm afraid!

To be frank considering the amount of treatment smokers need throughout their lifetime + the treatment that those harmed by passive smoking would need I very much doubt that it costs more. But then if healthcare workers were paid a decent wage that might change.

Spot the Nurse preparing to strike!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Nurse - my hero

I'll look into it and let you know. I'm a strange breed - an anti smoking smoker !
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Nurse - my hero

I'll look into it and let you know. I'm a strange breed - an anti smoking smoker !
Yeah I'm the hero til the day I break someones ribs whilst trying to rescuitate them and then get sued!

I'll be waiting with baited breath.............

Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-04-2007, 12:04 AM
but not short breath LOL
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2007, 12:09 AM
but not short breath LOL
Don't count on it, I live with two chain Smokers remember!
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >