Dogsey Veteran

09-01-2005, 03:40 AM
Be interesting to hear what he says A/staff, keep us informed please
Don`t forget to print out any of the info he might want/need to see
Christine.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

09-01-2005, 03:44 AM
Well Candie, Jean Dodds, Schultz, Carmichael, Macluggage, Intervet says.......
No need to booster.....I think
Christine
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

09-01-2005, 03:53 AM
Oh definitely a lot easier to read than my posts Lizzy & a lot shorter too

It`s just I like to give scientific articles/evidence/references whenever I can, as a lot of people need *proof* if you see what I mean. As its not me whos saying these things, its veterinary experts! I`m just passing the info on to whoever wants to read them, in order to help them make an informed decision
Christine.
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2005, 09:49 AM
well i shall hava a good read then, jazz will be 2 in a coupl of weeks so i think wahtever she needs this lots done (in March) but it would be nice to know if she 'needs' anymore

thanx everyone for all the info
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Hi all just wondering what you all thought of the info/articles I posted & if anybodies had second thoughts on boostering? Did any of you get a chance to read any of them?

Another question for those of you whos vet uses intervet vaccines, are they still boostering your dogs yearly or biding by the manufacturers guidlines & doing it every 3yrs?
Christine.
My vet uses intervet, I took all my stuff with me off the internet as proof of only needing boosting every 2 years (when my dog was due for his first booster) & said I only wanted Lepto doing this time round if they would permit it.

Unfortunatly mine had his done when he was in for his hip x-rays & because I had to take him in early the vet wasn't there so I discussed it with the vet nurse who went off to discuss it & came back & said shes not sure if they could do that but she would let the vet know my feelings on the subject when he arrived & he would give what he considered appropriate.

When I went to pic my dog up I checked the vaccination card & they had given him the full booster anyway. DHPPiL

On the letters they send out they claim to only give the full booster every other year with half a booster in between (whatever thats supposed to mean).
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 03:36 AM
I just saw this thread as it has a new post on it and thought I`d mention, for people unsure about vaccinating you can have a titre test done which shows if dogs need a full or partial boost or not [ full being for everything, partial being if they are immune to some things vax`d for but not others ].

If anyone does decide to have a titre done, check with a few different vets as some charge ridiculous prices but others do it very reasonably, and some vets think they have to fill everything in on the Lab forms when they are not supposed to which lands the dog owne with a full panel cost from the lab.
My vet does take bloods for titre and charges only the consult fee to do it and Glasgow lab is where he sends the bloods which they charge for themselves. Frineds of mine had 4 dogs tested together and the total cost including consult [ vet only charged one fee, not four individual ones ] so for everything for 4 dogs it came to £145.
The results showed 2 dogs needed no boosters and the other two which were younger only needed a booster for one disease so thats what they had.

At my agility club, I do insist dogs are up to date *but* a titre test result confirming immunity is absolutely acceptable because it shows they are up to date for immunity as opposed to when they last had jabs.
Unfortunately some clubs and most kennels [ if not all ? ] still insist on vaccinations regardless of titre results which means some dog do get over vaccinated [ overvaccinating is what has brought about discussions in the veterinary and scientific world afaik about how fequently jabs are really needed, the general consesus, so far that I have read, being 2 to 3 years ].

For dogs of senior age I would have a titre done rather than have jabs straight off, as all vets I have used have agreed that its more likely to cause problems to have an older dog vax`d from scratch than not at all - a titre would show if they need them or not with no area of doubt either way.

There is one part which has to be tested for separately but I cant remember which one right now. If Madmare see`s this hopefully she will respond as she had her JRT tested for that recently as well as the general titre.

Hope that helps for anyone not aware of titre testing
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 05:30 AM
Thought I had replied to this already but can't be bothered to trawl back through and see.
As patch said I have mine titre tested as my last 2 beautiful dogs died of auto immune disease probaly caused by vaccination. I never wanted to go through that again or put dogs through that again so approached my vet about titre testing.
They done the blood tests and sent them to Glasgow and my dog came back with very high readings of immunity, so it would have definatly been a mistake to booster him.
However Lepto was the one that worried me and my vets found a lab that would test for lepto immunity. They found Idex and sent a sample off there that came back that he had no immunity so I had him boostered for that.

Earlier this week had my big girls blood done has she is now due her first booster. Vets are testing for everything and have sent the whole lot off to Idex this time as they test for everything there and are quicker than Glasgow.
I would Never routinely booster again.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6