View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Stallions dont usually attack foals, I would bet this has been a tragic accident, and the poor baby was in the way and got caught, so sad. It depends on how many there others are in the field. It may well have been one of the other mares....if no-one saw what happened, it is speculation.

just another thought, if the mare is in a foaling heat, the stallion might have tried to mate her, and the foal got in the way.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Could well be ELAINE.Looks like the mum has gone and there's no sign of the big guy either so reckon he's gone too.You're right as no one actually witnessed it,who knows? Seems he's a bit of a devil by all accounts and they could be just jumping to conclusions,based on what he's done in the past which is a bit unfair
3 or 4 of them are gathered around the one spot,am wondering if that is where the foal was
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-04-2014, 04:37 PM
How new was the foal Eileen, if what Elaine thinks is right, the foal would be about a week old, and would fit in with her theory.
Glad they've moved the mare, maybe taken the stallion as well to put her back to him if she is in foaling heat.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Foal was just born this morning
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 04:45 PM

Here's a pic of two of them.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Might not have anything to do with the others, might just have died and the mare or stallion tried to get it up and has maybe caused some injuries, either before it died or quite possibly after it died. The mare might need vet attention, if it was a bad foaling, as you say Eileen, if no-one saw it, who knows....I always had my mares in and sat with them the whole time, it is so very upsetting to loose a foal, my mare lost one, and she was inconsolable...it was still born....so sad....
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 04:54 PM
He is normally here every two days dropping off bales.If I see him next time I'll pop out and find out how the mare is and where the big guy is at.Has a few fields nearby where he keeps other horses so I guess the stallion has been relocated and I imagine the mum is getting some TLC.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Just had a lovely little walk up to the woods with Zena. Met the lady with the two bulldogs but she had only one today so I asked her why. She then told me that she was indoors resting having been attacked by this other one she had with her. They get along just fine normally, but at night time, when the other one starts licking this one's ears and slobbering around her face, she wakes up, doesn't know where she is, so she attacks her other dog doing the licking. So sad, cos this is the 2nd time in 3 months, so now she's decided to separate them at night - should have done that first time around methinks.

Only had one slight altercation with a bloke with a staffie coming down on the other side of the road, with his kid closely behind with a jr onlead and he told his kid to keep hold of the dog, and they both proceeded to lunge on their leads barking and snarling at poor Zena who was totally unphased by it all on the other side of the road, but of course, I wasn't cos this kid could have been no more than 6!!! My saving Grace was, he had the jr and not the staffie I s'pose It was such a lovely walk, nobody up there so I might do this every day whilst the sun is shining, cos Zena had 5 wee's and one poop which of course, saves my new turf!!!

Glad to hear they've moved the mare and possibly the stallion there Eileen. I wasn't actually wrong in my assumption cos I've been Googling and a stallion will kill a foal if it's not one of his (he doesn't want another stallion's foal in with his herd), or if it won't get up or is sick, because he knows the mare won't move on with him if he doesn't, as shown in the film Cloud, but one who's out with his own herd is fine. See, you learn something new everyday don'tcha, cos I never knew it was ok to leave a stallion with a mare and foal.

Now I really must get that washing in cos it's bound to rain again overnight
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Evening all

Hope all the dogsey folks, both the two and the four legged ones, are well or on the mend.

Been very busy all this week....had to buy new mower and strimmer.....decided on petrol this time..... then we went for a new tv today. Our one had gone so dark we had to guess what was going on in some programmes!! Blooming thing was only six years old.....I expect more years than that when I buy a telly! While we were there we got a DVD player too. OH also spotted a sound bar thingy that he says we need too. Probs get that later. I can't remember when we last spent so much in a week, I need a lie down now haha.

I've been trying to catch up over the week....you lot can't half natter ...but I do enjoy the banter.

I'm off to make tea, see you all later
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2014, 05:43 PM
House cleaned, ironing done, and, yes Jenny, little cakes made for tomorrow!
It's turned into a nice sunny day, not at all what I expected, so I hope it will be the same tomorrow, even if we can't sit in the garden my friends will at least be able to have a look around it, they are all keen gardeners.
Page 6 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »