View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 03:08 PM
It's a good idea to curve and bury wire beneath the soil too to a depth of a good 9 inches or more. I used to have to do this to stop even my giant tortoise 'tunnelling' under the fence to neighbouring gardens.

I'm surprised the Cavvies make so much noise. Mine hardly ever barked. Maybe they are just 'afraid' of such a big dog moving in!

As you can't control what your neighbour's pets do or how they behave and don't even know what sort of pets they might get in future - it is best to work on how your own dog reacts or what they can 'do' obviously if there are gaps big enough for a Cavvy's snout to get through and actually bite Dillon - they need seeing to.

I had a neighbour in Berkshire whose dog barked constantly for a while. When I mentioned it to them they said it was MY fault because their dog could hear MY tortoise ambling around my garden lol!

And one time when my own dog (GSD) started to mysteriously bark for what seemed no reason - we managed to pin it down - it was one of those stupid little windmill thingies that some people nail to the top of fence posts. A little plastic bloke with a hammer or whatever going click click click. Wasn't even all that loud but was driving the dog nuts - just a new noise I suppose?

I've actually lived next to people whose 'waterfalls' made a noise that really irritated and got to me more than any barking dog would. Sounded like a persistent dripping tap. The sort of noise you couldn't ignore indoors. One said to me that they found it very 'relaxing' I said yes I do too about as relaxing as a CROW SCARER!
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Good Morning all,

Firstly big <<<hugs>>> for Lynn, I read through the thread and I am sorry you had such a cr*p day and that Dillon is really trying it on. I am sure he is picking up on your emotions re. the move and life etc.. but you are all moved now and the only way is UP right Training classes would be brilliant for you both, if you can find the right ones during the day etc.

Well after book club last night feeling a little fuzzy headed this morning, too much wine consumed, too much is any for me as I hardly ever drink anymore.. going to take a lot of coffee to get me going!! One of my neighbors drank rather a lot and at the end of the night dropped her phone down the toilet - gotta larf, its like having a bunch of kids round.. blummin drunkards!! brilliant fun though!

So last day of the week, working etc.. and Mr M is home today so he shall do the dogwalk, I might stay home as it is pouring with rain

HI to everyone and loved the puppy fix today.. they are so cute! Well done on finishing the TMA Lore, and hope everyone is having a good day x
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Dropped her phone down the toilet! My daughter has managed to do that with one of hers too! In her pocket as he hitched it all up to sit down.

Phones don't survive that sort of treatment usually!
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 03:25 PM
I know, I sent her home with instructions to put it in a bag of rice and leave it for a while.. we will see...

It was just like you said, in her back pocket and as she dropped her draws - plop!!
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Afternoon everyone
Having just read through the thread sending you (((hugs)))) Lynn.
I've not been on for a few days cos been busy with extra childminding and doing extra hours at Sainsbury's
But I'm looking forward to my son and his girlfriend are coming to stay for the weekend. Poor girl never been here before but we've met her as she goes to York uni which is where my son met her. She lovely but hope she copes with Rosie trying to monopolising her
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
His breeder has emailed back she says I need to get tougher which she knows will be hard for me as I am so down.

She says he is being a git.

She also says if I really can't cope of course she will take him back but she has a litter due soon so wouldn't be able to assess him as she would like but she does have someone on her list waiting for an adult dog.

I don't know what to do for the best. He shouldn't feel like such hard work I don't know if I can give him what he needs I just don't know what to do.
What if this person can give him more time, training exercise and possibly another dog for company on the other hand he will of been moved from his original home to a new home then onto another home and new people. How will he cope ? Possibly better than me.
Also another failure like Zanta was.
You have a dog to enjoy them. Not to feel worried/uncertain around them.

You are sounding down and it is to be expected. Your gut sounds like Dillon is at the moment a step to far you.

He is not a failure and neither are you. So no more rubbish like that. YOU LADY are a little too soft with him not physically but mentally. He is a good dog and you are a good owner.

Why not ask to meet the person on her waiting list - see what you think? Sometimes rehoming can be for the best - Bella was classed as unmanageable and unable to walk on a collar and lead and needed a harness and went for other dogs - the rescue ladies husband had her off lead outside within a day. I had her on a collar in 15 minutes no issue and she walks on a lead perfectly - but I have had Staffs for many years and although she takes the "Michael" out of my parents, sister, brother in law she does not to me, my nieces brother or the rescue people. Personality is strange thing.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Good morning all!

Lynn, I'm sorry you're having problems with Dillon. Hopefully you can get a handle on it, with help

TW thanks for the puppy fix! Mabs looks so sweet lying there with her puppies and the bone.

DD that's what you get, you lush lol

Just discovered Mouse is in heat. Wasn't expecting it this soon. She has gone into heat every 8 months since she started... it's only been 7 months! So wasn't watching closely. I should have known when she started being way too picky about wgere she pees last week! Lol

Well, its snowing again... another 6 inches forcasted for today and tomorrow. It's been really warm the last few days, so about half of the first 14 inches is gone, so this is just to make sure we have enough lying around lol. Have never seen this much snow this early! Infact 14 inches is often all we get spread out over the year! Nevermind 20 inches before December! . It started snowing an hour ago and there's already an inch on the ground... could be messy!

There were 4 or 5 fatalities due to the driving conditions after the last snowfall. This could be bad.

Have a good last half of your day all! I'm going to play with Poodles today!

PS I cad chocolate cheesecake for brekkie... lol
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Afternoon Dyanne, Mandy and Kazz thanks for the support.

I have done the housework and am now sitting and pondering the more I think about it the more I think that jacket was the key and also I think I forget that his life has been turned upside down too from a house he has known for almost two years from a pup Gorden being around most of the time except for when he went to Kazakhstan. By then Gorden was only working part time then he gets the full time job but we were still in the familiar house the familiar walks his regular dog friends to meet and one day we end up somewhere new and Gorden is gone all week and I am a miserable unhappy woman to live with.

So we start again and try again and his breeder now knows but would rather he stayed with me but is prepared for him to go back if needs be but not yet I have decided.

Kazz yes at the moment mentally I am not strong enough in fact I haven't been mentally strong enough for him for a while so I need to toughen up and get some routine back into our lives and stop making excuses for him and me.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Sara the snow sounds yuk the chocolate cheesecake sounds nice.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
You have a dog to enjoy them. Not to feel worried/uncertain around them.

You are sounding down and it is to be expected. Your gut sounds like Dillon is at the moment a step to far you.

He is not a failure and neither are you. So no more rubbish like that. YOU LADY are a little too soft with him not physically but mentally. He is a good dog and you are a good owner.

Why not ask to meet the person on her waiting list - see what you think? Sometimes rehoming can be for the best - Bella was classed as unmanageable and unable to walk on a collar and lead and needed a harness and went for other dogs - the rescue ladies husband had her off lead outside within a day. I had her on a collar in 15 minutes no issue and she walks on a lead perfectly - but I have had Staffs for many years and although she takes the "Michael" out of my parents, sister, brother in law she does not to me, my nieces brother or the rescue people. Personality is strange thing.
That is an absolutely EXCELLENT post and summing up of the situation IMHO.

As I was saying earlier somewhere - not just every dog is different, but every owner is different too. There isn't a one size fits all magic solution when it comes to training and obedience and all that.

I've owned dogs for most of 40 yrs and never ever had a failure housetraining them from an early age with great success. I pass my 'method' on to people and for some it works and for others it doesn't but for EVERY dog it works for me. So owner personality and all that must come into it even with something as basic as housetraining.
Page 6 of 17 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »