Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Update:
Vets have just phoned about Meg's Skin Scrapes,all normal.
Have some shampoo to pick up on Tuesday and vet will see her in two weeks time,they are as confused as we are but as bloods and scrapes are normal she's put it down to alopica and for some reason dogs lose coat with no explanation for it.So nothing going on everything's normal and we have half a bald dog
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Hi Sal
I live in Spain and here there is a nasty disease spread by a sand fly.Its called "leishmaniosis"It is not supposed to be in the UK but im now being told that it is becoming more of a problem.I guess this is due to people who live in Spain moving back to the UK and taking infected dogs back with them.

Alot of what you have described sounds like this disease.One thing that doesnt add up though is the fact that she is putting on weight.

It can be tested for with a blood test but your vet may not know about it as it would be very unusual in the UK.The other blood test you have had done would not show it up as far as i know.It is a specific test.

I have a dog with Leishmaniosis and his blood tests come back normal but the specific one shows that he is positive.

Just an idea and if she was my dog here in Spain,its one of the first tests my vet would have had done.
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Hi Sal
just caught up with this thread. I don't have any brilliant ideas to add but wanted to give my support. It must be so hard for you and meg, hopefully she isn't too distressed with the diet and constant tests, I hope the F4D and shampoo help get to the bottom of things.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2013, 02:01 PM
That is great news that the skin scrapes were normal, but doesn't help with her hair loss

Lets just hope that her hair starts to grow back as quickly as she started losing it. It will me worrying for you than her ((hugs)).
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Hi Sal, that's what Georgie had, atopica, but he had it all his life. I hope that shampoo they're getting you might be the Sebomild which is oat based, and I had fantastic results with Georgie with that shampoo, it worked wonders for him., unlike the Malaseb which did absolutely nothing! Good luck with Meg, I hope she's not scratching at any of it and let's hope this puts an end to it getting any worse.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Nechda, I think that Sal might have meant alopecia.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Hi Sal, I'm glad the skin scrapes came back normal, and hope the shampoo works for Meg. But it also must be a worry that they haven't come up with a diagnosis properly, as I'm sure alopicia wouldn't have the other symptoms Meg is showing.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Nechda, I think that Sal might have meant alopecia.
Oooops , that's twice you caught me out today grandma!!! You're right of course, and there I was thinking the typo was with the "l" Sorry Sal, ignore my post, it's rubbish now! Good luck with Meg, but have no experience of this condition
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks all,
There is nothing underlying so that's good
So I guess there isn't anything more we can do.We have also managed to get some weight off her and she has lost 2lb in a month so again that's good
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Thanks all,
There is nothing underlying so that's good
So I guess there isn't anything more we can do.We have also managed to get some weight off her and she has lost 2lb in a month so again that's good
If there is nothing underlying then I suppose it is one less thing to worry about.

Well done with the weight loss - it took me a year to get Pereg to lose 3.6kg [just under 8lb].

Cuddles for Meg and (((hugs))) for you! xx
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6