Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Brandykins View Post
Loki hated the halti and I didn't like it either. I got a Canny collar, which was much kinder but still didn't like them. I moved to a harness and Loki was fine with that and stopped pulling me Once she learnt to stop pulling me, I changed to a collar and lead and it is me who has to pull her now
I too find that a harness is so very much kinder, and dogs never seem to object to them.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Yes me too - I much prefer the harness for two reasons, firstly when he does pull I don't have to worry about that sensitive front part of his neck and secondly if he does go for another dog or cat I have a very useful and effective handle on his back, I'm stronger than him and can pull him out of trouble if the need arises. My husband once got badly bitten trying to separate two fighting dogs by grabbing the collar of one of them.

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I too find that a harness is so very much kinder, and dogs never seem to object to them.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Oh yes indeedy..........mine does that too
The funny thing is I was walking him the other day down a residential street and he was popping his head into every gate and between every hedge and a big ginger tom sat on one of the driveways, this cat didn't move a muscle, just sat there with a fixed a steely stare and the stupid dog didn't even notice him! I think he is looking for movement and enjoys the idea of the chase.
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2012, 01:36 PM
I guess the main thing about a head collar is that the dog can't pull you at all (well, some of them figure out some sort of technique anyway but there is so little power behind it compared to pulling on a collar/harness).
Even my 7 month old one now, if he is wearing a padded harness he is so much stronger than "just" wearing a collar. I can easily see why as it is clearly more comfortable to jump forwards in a harness and put lots of energy into pulling, compared to pulling with his neck.

Ofc I'd prefer him to be the best behaved dog in the world, sadly he isn't at the moment, so there are times every walk when he gets excited and wants to jump around.
I will look into head collars and get him one soon, purely because I don't want to be the neighbourhood idiot who gets pulled about by her dog on occasion!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2012, 06:11 PM
I find my one pulls the most with the collar and significantly less with the harness.

I use a double ended lead that clips once on his back close to his neck and the second one a little further down towards the middle of his back. Maybe I do have more leverage with two attachments.

I know what you mean about the neighbour that gets pulled around the streets - embarrassing isn't it! My one's not quite that bad but most people sadly turn their nose up at mine whatever he's doing, good or bad, because he's a staffie x (brown brindle) and I suspect most people are making judgements about him - it doesn't seem to bother him though.

Originally Posted by JulieSS View Post
I guess the main thing about a head collar is that the dog can't pull you at all (well, some of them figure out some sort of technique anyway but there is so little power behind it compared to pulling on a collar/harness).
Even my 7 month old one now, if he is wearing a padded harness he is so much stronger than "just" wearing a collar. I can easily see why as it is clearly more comfortable to jump forwards in a harness and put lots of energy into pulling, compared to pulling with his neck.

Ofc I'd prefer him to be the best behaved dog in the world, sadly he isn't at the moment, so there are times every walk when he gets excited and wants to jump around.
I will look into head collars and get him one soon, purely because I don't want to be the neighbourhood idiot who gets pulled about by her dog on occasion!
DonnaMcV
New Member!
Female 

03-12-2012, 05:32 PM
I use The Canny Collar, its not a head collar its a training collar. Its fits on the dog like a standard collar and there is a line that slips over the dogs nose like a horses bridle and then the lead attaches behind the dogs head then you dog get their head being pulled to the side. Its a very gently method but really effective - You can find out more here - www.cannyco.com
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
The funny thing is I was walking him the other day down a residential street and he was popping his head into every gate and between every hedge and a big ginger tom sat on one of the driveways, this cat didn't move a muscle, just sat there with a fixed a steely stare and the stupid dog didn't even notice him! I think he is looking for movement and enjoys the idea of the chase.
Hehe phoebe does that. If whatever the small furry is stays very still she dosnt see it
Samchico
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Exactly what Labradork has said.
Head collars are excellent if fitted and used corrently.
New user here. A Brit living in the US now. I've use haltis with several dogs over the last 15 years. I was first introduced to the halti by Roger Mugford the chap who designed them originally. He taught me how to fit and use them. I totally agree with Labradork. If fitted and used correctly they're a great great tool. Of course the dog should be happy and comfortable wearing it as with any other device we ask them to wear.

Sam
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2012, 08:41 AM
I use a dogmatic for my german shepherd kodi, not because she pulls as she walks lovely but as she is so reactive with other dogs it gives me more control. She doesnt seem to mind wearing it and it seems to have a calming effect on her. A worry I have with it though is she has managed to pull herself out of it but then she also has managed to get out of harnesses and collars several times.

I got a dogmatic for my springer spaniel, because I am still trying to train him to walk nicely with not much success but one size was too small, and the next size fitted but he absolutely hated it , he seemed to be really stressed with it and kept licking his lips and every few steps he managed to pull it off his face. I have started to use a control harness with a lead attachment at the front which is a lot better. The only problem is it's so dark in the mornings and evenings that I struggle to put it back on him to go home.

I think all dogs are different and what suits one won't necessary suit another. It's just so expensive trying all the different aids .

Hh
Wild storm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Hi, I use a halti for my weimeraner. Worn correctly my dog isnt in discomfort because he knows if he pulls it will tighten so now he walks with no pull..walking to heel is probly a better option
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6