Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Miranda Luck View Post
If you live in the UK and are considering adopting a rescue dog I wonder if would you be willing to take part in a new Cesar Millan show? The filming will take place in Spain this summer so you must be willing to travel for 3 days (all expenses paid). Interested? Please PM me for further details. Thank you!
This will be welcomed like a fart in a lift o.0
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
the new alpha wolf story was interesting, and one she related to draw attention to another incident between 2 dogs aggressive toward each other. yet their was no obvious correlation between the two, and she didnt explain why they did correlate. it didnt appear to make much sense.

i would have to see the documentary for myself that she kept referring to. do you know what it was called.
even better, do you know where i can read a study about the reintroduced pack in yellowstone park and this actual incident?

holding and twisting the collar of a reactive dog she also explained thru a case study in her book for a dog that was all guns a blazin' in the back of a traveling
car.

i agree - cesar milan, i think, has always been genuinely anti-BSL, i dont think one can accuse him of bandwagon jumping on that issue.
Sorry to reply so very late - I missed your post.

The real circumstances of the new "alpha" male wolf accepted into another Yellowstone pack was not as JF claims in her book i.e. that the Yellowstone male who was not part of the pack was accepted into a pack because he stood his ground when charged by the "alpha" (i.e matriarchal) female.

This supposed wolf behaviour was her argument for claiming the dog accepted the one it was aggressively charging due to it just standing its ground like the wolf, also disreguarding that (IIRC) it only "stood its ground" as it was held (or tethered?) there with no option!

I had come across a much fully account of this interaction when looking at Yellowstone wolf behaviour and specifically the reintroduction programme.

This stated that this same pack had earlier killed a wolf from a rival pack who came into their territory. In fact the greatest cause of death to wolves living within the protected area of the park at that time, as the numbers increased, was intra species competitive aggression from wolves from other packs.

However since the time they had killed the other wolf from the same pack as the eventually accepted one, they had gone out of the protected area of the park and the female's breeding partner had been shot and killed.

Hence when they came back into the park they had not been in occupation of that territory for a few weeks (i.e their territorial claim was weaker), and there was a potential vacancy for an unrelated breeding male to be accepted by the female, rather than chased off or killed by her male partner, from that male's established, owned, home territory.

At another time, under different circumstances, standing his ground would have got him killed, as some of his previous packmates had been. Indeed the greatest cause of death of wolves in Yellowstone (where they were protected from human hunters), as both the number of packs and the number of members within packs rose and territorial overlaps occurred, was interpack disputes.

IIRC it was on a TV documentary, specifically about the Yellowstone wolves but I have looked at so many things about wolves (and other animals) throughout many, many years that I cannot remember which this was in.It would have been one of the earlier ones, when they were newly introduced.

As you can see the full story puts a very different set of highly significant circumstances in place than that single. and erroneous, theory put forward by JF that this male was just accepted because he stood his ground. In other circumstances he would have been killed, like his pack mate.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Roofs View Post
Oh yes, I would LOVE to meet CM... I'd like to see how happy he is after I rugby tackle him to the floor then stick a spiked chain round his neck and haul him up by it... I bet he'd blinking do as I said afterwards!
what I would give to see this a nasty little man with no interest in dogs and no idea what he's doing, just looking for a 'quick fix' to enhance his TV career
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 09:15 PM
CM is the one who left his own dog behind in Mexico to come to America isn't he? Who looked after that dog when he left? Just wondered if anyone knew?

Mind you a free holiday would be good
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2012, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
CM is the one who left his own dog behind in Mexico to come to America isn't he? Who looked after that dog when he left? Just wondered if anyone knew?

Mind you a free holiday would be good
Here we go get your popcorn ready everyone!
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6