Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It depends on your style and the individual dog and your ethos.

Nina Bondarenko for example uses a "bridge" or "keep going" marker using ex ex ex ex EXCELLENT!

I sometimes use it in a particular context (mine is clever).

So it is not only a variance in methods but what your dog copes with.

My dogs generally find verbals in most contexts as an interruption to their concentration. This is because their MAIN keep going cue is of course, SILENCE!

So basically whether or not you use the voice can depend on you, the individual dog, the exercise, the environment etc.

Does that make sense?

As in all things, I think you can give too much and too little feedback whether it is verbal or body language or clicking etc.

This is why, when training or judging others, it can be difficult (unless you know the partnership well) to determine (at first) whether handlers are being helpful or obstructive!
A very long time ago I was doing one of those pay to do an agility round with your dog things at a local show.

The dog I had at that time could get far too interested in other dogs, and the round was off lead. So....aroused excited dog, off lead, in busy, exciting distracting non enclosed environment (just a rope round the ring) around a lot of other dogs.

We went round, he did it right and got his rosette but the agility trainer running the ring said I was talking to my dog far too much and "distracting him" and wanted me to do it his way.

I tried to explain the above but he wouldn't have it.

We got over the first obsticule, from a focused sit stay, with him telling me not to speak to the dog until he landed, and the dog then p***ed off at full speed immediately he landed, leaving the ring and almost investigating another dog 20 yards away, before I whistled him back, because by being quieter and reducing my commands I hadn't instantly engaged him, and kept him engaged WITH ME, before landing to overcome the distractions.

As you say, know your dog, and your handler/dog combination, before you comment or judge

In a different situation I would have handled the dog differently.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6