Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 08:24 PM
No, I just could not fagged to quote woofinity
kim645
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Bracken, Ghillie & Revel get: Dr John's Platinum (Chudley Puppy for Revel), selection of DAF raw food, veg & fruit - potatoes, carrots, apples, bananas, raw eggs, goats milk, tinned sardines in sunflower oil and tomato sauce, chicken wings and anything else tasty dog suitable things I can find.
They enjoy pigs ears and snouts as treats. Revel gets sausages as he is still abit wee for pigs ears etc. And markies or bonio's before bed.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Jake is raw fed... he gets wainwrights trays for emergencies but I am looking at some kibbles like Orijen to have in instead.
woofinfinity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Must be nice to be able to afford to be so picky........ I am afraid feeding organic food to humans is out of my price range let alone my dogs.

I do not understand why you believe chicken fat is as bad as corn. What is the difference between chicken fat and beef/lamb/fish fat etc?
Diamond Naturals is cheaper than most commercial brands actually. But yes, I find the really healthy dog foods super expensive too.

I didn't mention fat, but I think you mean oil. I left out a lot, but basically it is more that I want to find a dog food whose meat source came from an organic or free range farmer, since there is a big difference in the quality/nutrition of the meat. Dogs can build up intolerance to beef, dairy products, and chicken, just as they can to corn, wheat and soy. Oils are hard for me to explain, there are studies that show depending on the type of oil in their diet, they can create problems, or prevent problems. Fish oil for example, has omega-3 fatty acids and can help treat allergies, kidney disease, arthritis, high cholesterol, etc. Fish oil have anti-inflammatory effects which help relieve itching due to allergy-related skin conditions.

Dog food companies, even some grain free ones buy meat from the cheapest sources/farmers they can find, the chickens used in most dog food companies are fed A LOT of corn, these chickens are 'grown' with very little nutrition. Studies have shown that organic/range fed chickens contain four to six times more vitamin D, one third less cholesterol, one quarter less saturated fat, two-thirds more vitamin A, double the amount of omega-3 fatty acids,
three times more vitamin E, and seven times more beta carotene.
The same sort of thing happens with beef, they are fed very poorly and so their nutrition is very poor, with the exception of organic or grass-fed and free range cattle.
Lamb however, are generally grass/free-range fed and the nutrition is going to be better in general because of their more nutritious diet. Ideally I would like to find a dog food with organic lamb, but I'd settle for a dog food with any organic meat source that is also grain free.
woofinfinity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Someone in a dog group on another site just messaged me about a dog food called Canine Caviar, http://caninecaviar.com/ it isn't available within 100 miles of where I live, but it looks really good. It is 'nearly' raw, is grain free, and the meat sources appear to be free range. Pricey though, $60 for a 27 pound bag, yikes.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 11:30 AM
They had Origen and Arcana in the pet shop we went to today but it was soooo expensive! It would cost an awful lot for me to feed my 2 on this and they are only medium size dogs.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 04:19 PM
My boy has a tenancy to be a bit too skinny but I have found that raw keeps his weight and general condition far nicer than other ways of feeding.p
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 04:22 PM
I also have no doubt that organic would be best for him (& me) but theres no way I could afford it.
woofinfinity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2011, 08:40 PM
I wish I could feed raw, it is nice to find more and more people that do. In Southern Oregon there are just not enough meat processing plants for there to be competitive pricing on necks/backs and organ meat, and one once said to me they'd get in trouble with inspection if they leave scraps like that in their freezers (I don't understand exactly why), it would cost me around $70 or $80 a week to feed raw, way too much for me when I only spend $30 a week feeding my dogs Diamond Naturals. Once every week or two I like to cut up raw liver or beef heart and mix it in with a cup of dog food for each of my danes, it's not enough to make a noticeable difference in Wanda's weight but the nutrition in it is so good and they love it. I gave liver to Star every week during her pregnancies and she was so strong and had very easy deliveries, I can't prove it was the liver but extra animal protein couldn't hurt.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Maybe adding some raw beef or lamb mince into wanda's diet would help keep her weight up without only feeding raw? So maybe DN for one feed and replace the other with mince a few times a week? Raw on it's own is what suits my dog best but lots of dogs do well on a diet of both raw and dry food.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >