Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
To be fair the office Lurcher made "I'm going to rip your head off" noises every time the terrierist even vaguely drifted her way for about 5 days. Fortunately he'd stay out of her way and I knew her well enough to be confident it was all noise.

I'm not sure how long the boss would have put up with it if it was the other way around though.
Great picture! Reminds me of the "I will not look at you" going on here - two years ago tomorrow:
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Great picture! Reminds me of the "I will not look at you" going on here - two years ago tomorrow
Brilliant. She was door watching waiting for her owner to come back but she's still not big on physical contact... he does sometimes get away with it though...

Long way from the death threats within the 5ft exclusion zone.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Great picture! Reminds me of the "I will not look at you" going on here - two years ago tomorrow:
And that is what I have with Rue and Merlin. A dignified, respectful choreography; each giving the other the maximum politeness and space. The spats and squabbles (and worries and "will it work?") were over & done with months ago.

Knowing Merlin they probably will never sleep together but they will come to feel part of the same family, if they haven't already.

It's not a match made in heaven, but it's certainly not hell either...
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by HWestie View Post
Do you guys think I was stupid to not give her a chance? The fosterer Now knows she has to be rehomed as an only dog.

To be perfectly honest with you, and i have no apologies if it sounds harsh, but i think the poor dog has had a lucky escape.
You pretty much decided you didn't like her or want to give her a chance after an incredibly short time in your house
I hope she gets the home she deserves; someone to give her the time, patience, unconditional Love and understanding she needs to be the best that she can be.

Jann x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
To be perfectly honest with you, and i have no apologies if it sounds harsh, but i think the poor dog has had a lucky escape.
You pretty much decided you didn't like her or want to give her a chance after an incredibly short time in your house
I hope she gets the home she deserves; someone to give her the time, patience, unconditional Love and understanding she needs to be the best that she can be.

Jann x
On the other hand - it`s probably better to return the dog in a day (before she settles) if you realise you`ve made a mistake and can`t cope with her.
I just wish people wouldn`t look for reasons. Aggressive is such a terrible label for a Rescue dog. It can kill.
It is quite understandable for an animal to be apprehensive and reactive in a frightening new situation. But admitting that the fault is on your side rather than blaming the dog is far more constructive.
Prince was nearly killed because his new owners sent him back saying he`d bitten. It turned out he hadn`t. The fact he was not house trained or used to being indoors that was the real problem IMO.
Saying he was aggressive and `guardy` gave them a clear conscience I suppose. It also meant the RSPCA couldn`t rehome him to anyone else.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Cocker spaniels have a reputation for being snappy especially if their golden cockers unfortunately I think this will lesson the cockers chances of getting a home in a small charity now she has none to snap or appear aggressive.

Very sad but thats what happens when you cant be bothered to fix a problem that could easily be fixed with time, kindness and understanding.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
On the other hand - it`s probably better to return the dog in a day (before she settles) if you realise you`ve made a mistake and can`t cope with her.
I just wish people wouldn`t look for reasons. Aggressive is such a terrible label for a Rescue dog. It can kill.
It is quite understandable for an animal to be apprehensive and reactive in a frightening new situation. But admitting that the fault is on your side rather than blaming the dog is far more constructive.
Prince was nearly killed because his new owners sent him back saying he`d bitten. It turned out he hadn`t. The fact he was not house trained or used to being indoors that was the real problem IMO.
Saying he was aggressive and `guardy` gave them a clear conscience I suppose. It also meant the RSPCA couldn`t rehome him to anyone else.
Yes that is the thing that makes me most sad in cases like this
Not talking about the OP here but in general

People tell the rescue whatever they feel they need to in order to get the pretty dog with the sad eyes
They actually dont have the time and experience they say they do
They expect the dog to fit into the house right away
They push push push the frigtened dog in its very first day in the home to just get on with home life, to force loads of cuddles on the dog, to expect perfect obedience and to get on with all other pets in the house right from when the door opens

The stressed, confused, scared dog snaps

and is then returned to the rescue as a biter most likely to be PTS

ANY dog can bite if forced into it

Anyone getting a new dog should give it the time and space it needs to fit into the home

Some just need 30s sniffing about the place
Some need weeks and months

But expect for the first few days to keep other dogs seperate most of the time till they get used to each other
Give them a safe place to be able to be on their own and process all the new experiences

Expect the worst always andthen you will always be nicely surprised
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 02:11 PM
I hope this thread gives some sort of insight into taking on a rescue dog, especially if you already have a dog.

It's not always fairytale endings, some work may be required!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I hope this thread gives some sort of insight into taking on a rescue dog, especially if you already have a dog.It's not always fairytale endings, some work may be required!
Good point!

there is a cracking little book which I'd recommend to anyone thinking of getting rescue dog -
Who said it would be easy.. or straightforward, or cheap?
By Alison Rowbotham
An honest guide to choosing and living with a second-hand dog.

It's available from a few places (try looking on Ebay as well) including the APBC site (scroll down to the bottom)
http://www.apbc.org.uk/shop/dog

It tells you everything you need to know and expect and also how to look for a good rescue and what to expect from them by way of backup if things don't go as planned.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6