Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 04:33 PM
What is this "heat" you all talk of?

I was out with a jumper on at 2pm today.....
Since getting the dog I am finally seeing the benefits of living up here! (Edinburgh)

ETA: to answer the question, on the odd occasion it does get to normal UK temperature we wait until the evening to go out - so no walk > extreme heat

Also.. I didn't NEED the jumper on, but wasn't overly hot with it on. Was about 18degrees today at the highest, but was cloudy so no harsh sun
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 04:37 PM
To be fair though Kammi - you and other scottish users have some of the most beautiful landscapes to walk on - so it's only fair we have the nice weather down here
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 04:39 PM
My dog walker comes in the middle of the day while I'm at work, which I have mixed feelings about in this weather. Although he's very sensible, sticks to the shade, takes it's slow and cuts it short if necessary. They spent a lovely hour sitting on a shady river bank, paddling in the Thames today

Normally I wouldn't take him out in this heat though. Would wait until about 9pm and if it was still stinking hot, I might even skip the odd day. Cain's flaked out sleeping and looks like he has no desire whatsoever to move
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 05:47 PM
We go out early in the morning before it gets too hot and then again after 7.00pm, but we don't go far and no road walks at the moment anyway. During the day the doors are all open, there is a paddling pool set up in the garden and my pup loves the sprinkler turned on. She just messes around between the garden or house as she pleases.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Definitely NO walks during the day in the heat.

Wall before 8am and a walk at 9pm or after.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm just outside Edinburgh and my mum and I took Kia to the beach today! It was too hot to do our field walk and we did the river walk already yesterday (in the pouring rain!!!) so I wanted a change! Plus she loooooooves the beach and spent the whole time in the water. And you walk through a lovely wood to get to our chosen beach so it was a win-win situation!

But if I hadn't had access to the car then Kia would go without a walk until it's cooled down a bit. Glad we don't get to quite the same temperatures that we experienced living in London though! That was a bit too hot for my Scottish blood

xoxox
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah88 View Post
Glad we don't get to quite the same temperatures that we experienced living in London though! That was a bit too hot for my Scottish blood

xoxox
I Agree!
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Well my lot have been as far as the paddling pool today & under the fan in the kitchen...its now 7:45pm & its still 26 degrees here & we are sweltering!

I'll see what its like after 9 & then MAYBEtake them to the beach, but if its still like this then itll be no walk today. But they have had a good play this afternnon x
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:50 AM
i feel really bad, because i walk mine if its warm. i love going out in the sunshine, and the dogs seem to love it.

i just make sure we have our water, we walk in the shade where we can, asbo goes swimming in the reservoir (only place i walk when i dont have a lift anywhere) and we take a blanket and have breaks, i sit down and read a book for a bit while the dogs have a chill (although asbo prefers to go on the hunt for things )

i think as long as its done properly and precautions are taken, then its ok to walk when its warm.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i feel really bad, because i walk mine if its warm. i love going out in the sunshine, and the dogs seem to love it.

i just make sure we have our water, we walk in the shade where we can, asbo goes swimming in the reservoir (only place i walk when i dont have a lift anywhere) and we take a blanket and have breaks, i sit down and read a book for a bit while the dogs have a chill (although asbo prefers to go on the hunt for things )

i think as long as its done properly and precautions are taken, then its ok to walk when its warm.
How warm is 'warm' though? I agree that 'warm' is fine provided you take sensible precautions, but there is a difference between warm and hot. Yesterday was hot down here, about 30 degrees and humid, and I think that is is too hot for the majority of dogs. On the odd day we get that is unseasonably hot for this country, it makes sense to play it safe and not take them out during the hottest parts of the day. They just are not used to it.

Anyway, the lovely last few days here have been replaced by torrential driving rain that hasn't let up since 7am this morning. Good old Britain!
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >