Female 

05-08-2011, 04:27 PM
jus out of curiosity how is the dog?
ATD x
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Her shifts are 12 hours, but has an hour traveling there and back, so in total is out for 14 hours. The shifts change between day shift and night shift, but either way if she is out for 14 hours, then sleeps for a minimum of 6 hours (she usually sleeps for 7 hours at least though) then that would only leave 4 hours with the dog. I just don't think that is enough time, especially when she needs to eat, shower, clean etc as well.
This is the situation I found myself in a few months after getting Rupert. Working 12 hour shifts, 7 on, 4 off. I had someone to take him out part way through but he spent most of my work day alone.

I spent pretty much every spare minute I had doing stuff with Rupe. Training him, working on his many issues, exercising him, just giving him the attention he needed. It meant I'd come home from a 12 hour shift exhausted and go straight out with him, come home, eat dinner, do some training, back out with him (lived in a flat), feed him, have a bath, have half an hour reading or on the computer with him cuddled up to me, out for one last walk and then crawl into bed. On my days off I spent every minute with him except the hour it took me to do the weekly shopping.

Circumstances change. I would never have got a dog in those circumstances but I already had him and although the situation was far from ideal we both coped with it. I'd unexpectedly lost my job and was in danger of becoming homeless so didn't have much choice about taking the job. Yes, I considered rehoming him but it didn't happen. Nobody was prepared to take him on with how problematic he was. Sometimes you're stuck between a rock and a hard place and just have to do the best you can.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure about Tilly but I can't bear to think of her alone for more than 5 hours!
I've been working full time whilst my manager is in hospital which involves some extra long days & if hub isn't at home I make sure I come home at lunch & take her for a walk - she's not the slightest bit bothered, it's more me pining for her - luckily work are nice & as they need me they've set me up to work some hours from home
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:33 PM
The maximum the dogs here are left is 2-3 hours, every now and then, mostly they are with someone, but recently we have started leaving them a little bit more often, just incase... But, they have each other so have company.

Off thread, but setters are not really a dog that likes to be alone, well none of the ones I have ever known have anyway
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6