Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
A pedigree is only reflects the veracity of the person submitting it, and is of course only a family tree, therefore ALL dogs have a "pedigree"

In any case whether or not a dog is x bred or not, does necessarily reflect the ethical nature of the breeder!
There are good a bad breeders everywhere, the kennel club doesn't endorse any of the pedigree dogs, it just is a record. That's why they set up the breeders scheme. It still doesn't alter the fact that crosses are not registered as pedigree but crossbred and couldn't compete at shows unless they were participating in dog sports or representing PAT dogs or some other scheme. They could show at exemption shows but not in pedigree classes.

All living things have a pedigree, most of us are crossbreds if you look into your family history.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
There are good a bad breeders everywhere, the kennel club doesn't endorse any of the pedigree dogs, it just is a record. That's why they set up the breeders scheme. It still doesn't alter the fact that crosses are not registered as pedigree but crossbred and couldn't compete at shows unless they were participating in dog sports or representing PAT dogs or some other scheme. They could show at exemption shows but not in pedigree classes.

All living things have a pedigree, most of us are crossbreds if you look into your family history.

I do not think anyone has stated that crossbreeds ARE registerred as pedigree?

There is no point in cross breeds entering breed shows of course as there are no classes at breed shows for cross breeds!

Fortunately they CAN and do enter most other KC licensed events and thus EVERYONE (if they are good enough) can make up a WT Ch, Ob Ch, Ag Ch even if they do not have a pure bred dog!

A system which is MUCH fairer and better than the FCI one which of course does not permit ANY cross breed competing (hence the reason why many agility competitors moved over from WSD to BC to compete abroad)

And of course we must remember that the majority of "pedigree" dogs started off as "crosses" being the product of judicious "genetic engineering" by their founders!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 07:00 AM
The problem isn't with people breeding crossbreeds, it's with people breeding for nothing other than money, and that happens with 'purebred' dogs too. I see a lot of dogs at work each day, usually grooming five or six pet dogs. Most are not well bred specimens. The variation in type in Shih Tzus alone is shocking. Some are tiny, some are huge, most have bad mouths, a lot have wrinkled foreheads, many have eye problems, skin issues, poor temperaments, bad coats etc. etc. I doubt I have met a Shih Tzu that was from a reputable breeder whilst at work. If I do get a well bred dog to groom the difference is astounding. I do a couple of Cockers and a Westie from show breeders and the difference in quality and temperament from the usual pet dog is very evident. The problem with crossbreeds is you just don't know what you'll get. Coats are often a problem and can be difficult to manage, often more difficult than the parent breeds. I think the worst problem though, as Becky said is the conflict in temperaments. Whoever thought breeding Cockers and Poodles together was a good idea is not on this planet, considering how neurotic both breeds can be, especially as both parents probably wouldn't be well bred specimens themselves.

I was asked by somebody if they could use my Estrela male on their Golden Retriever. The reason - they would make beautiful puppies. You can imagine what I said.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 07:23 AM
I have not read through all the replies but here is my answer to the topic title.
I have nothing against crossbreeds being bred if the parents are health tested first as there are some beautiful ones out there that make lovely pets as well as being good for doing a days work.
What I do object too is the stupid names people give them as if it makes them some special pedigree all of a sudden. The times I have been speaking to people and asked what their dog is and they have said a cockerpoo or some other designer name and I have replied "Oh a crossbreed" they have turned round and said no they are a ******* ,whater they are called. They really don't seem to think they have a crossbreed.
I also object to the stupid prices charged for a crossbreed just because it has a special name, many are more expensive than good pedigree breeds.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I also object to the stupid prices charged for a crossbreed just because it has a special name, many are more expensive than good pedigree breeds.
If you object to the prices charged you do not have to buy them. The same applies to the prices charged for a sneaker with a logo, or a handbag with the initials of the maker, which are made in exactly the same factories using the same materials by the same people who make items that have NO designer label!

It is the CONSUMER that sets the price of ANYTHING.

If the consumer wants to pay £1k for a mongrel then people will charge it.

If something is deemed overpriced, then vendors price themselves out of the market.

It is called commerce and the law of supply and demand
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 08:23 AM
I object to the ridiculous names, the use of poodles just so they can be -poo or -oodle (I'm pretty sure that's why they're SO used) and the fact that round here they're invariably owned by a drippy dipstick who doesn't bother to train them and ends up with a small, lunatic, yappy thing attached to an extendable lead at full extension permanently like some kind of yapping, biting cheesewire cutter of doom with the drip at the other end of the lead going "oh she's a jackadoodledooooooo" and grinning innanely while everyone else's dogs are being doodledooed to death.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
I have a cross breed, JRT x shih tzu.

If people ask what he is I generally say "a terrier cross" or "a jack russell cross" - he isn't a "fancy cross breed" to me lol

I think the issue comes with people wanting the NAME of the dog rather than the ACTUAL mix of dog. Plus the stupid prices.
Just thought of a brilliant name for a JRT x shih tzu ...

a Jacks**t!!
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post

a Jacks**t!!

I don't agree with all these so called 'Designer Breeds'. I think people are messing about too much with nature and as has been said, consequently producing puppies/dogs with real health problems through being badly matched genetically. And all because they want to give them a silly name and charge loads of money for them!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Lots of ASD x BC in obedience, Very popular & Successful X.
As long as the cross is BS/WSD dog with Aussie bitch, seen the results of the opposite & not a cross that is advised(& that comes from someone who knows Aussies better than most)

Interestingly there was a litter widely advertised in the Obedience world with an ASD sire & WSD/BC mother, despite some going to experienced Obedience handlers, neither has been seen in the ring & the litter must be 2 years old by now
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post

a Jacks**t!!
Sorry G they already get called that.
Page 6 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »