View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Think two would plonk there bums down and refuse to move and the other would throw a trantrum and thrash till free to return to me.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 11:44 AM
took another dog by the collar eventually yesterday. The only way the guy could get his dog back (which had pelted over from a very long way away) was for me to call mine in. However this meant his dog would continue to try and bounce and wrestle with mine. So yes - separated them until he got a shift on and feel no guilt.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
just out of curiosity, if someone came over, said 'Hi, can I pet the dog please?' to which you answered "yes" then they grabbed the collars/leads and ran, what do you think your dogs would naturally do?
Phoebe would go and quite happily. She has the mentality that who ever hold the lead is boss, but if they didnt have the lead and tried this by her coller i think she would plonk down and go dead weight like she does when its bath day and moving 55kg of dead weight is not so easy
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-07-2011, 02:18 PM
just out of curiosity, if someone came over, said 'Hi, can I pet the dog please?' to which you answered "yes" then they grabbed the collars/leads and ran, what do you think your dogs would naturally do?
It would depend on what I did, if I told them to go, they would but if they let go of the collar I know for a fact Rio would be back like a shot, she does it with the OH so I know she'd do it with a stranger. With the OH she is told to go and find him again obviously that wouldn't happen with a stranger. If I told them to stay if grabbed by a stranger there would be no moving them.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
It would depend on what I did, if I told them to go, they would but if they let go of the collar I know for a fact Rio would be back like a shot, she does it with the OH so I know she'd do it with a stranger. With the OH she is told to go and find him again obviously that wouldn't happen with a stranger. If I told them to stay if grabbed by a stranger there would be no moving them.
we did that in training class with a stay, someone would tug the lead/collar and they had to stay
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 02:25 PM
we did that in training class with a stay, someone would tug the lead/collar and they had to stay

Hmm that is not quite the same thing though.

That is part of proofing a down, sit or stand.

Ie to test if you have taught it thoroughly enough by trying to pull the collar/lead/dog out of position (obviously ANYONE can move MOST dogs if sufficient force is used)

The same principle as tempting the dog with a ball or food.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I wouldnt have a problem with someone holding my dogs collar or leading them back to me if my recall became non existent! I obviously would have an issue if they dragged them roughly, but for the former, if my dog was not wanted around their dog then ultimately it is my responsibility to recall my dog, I often hold the collars of other peoples dogs that have no owner recall!

If someone was to 'grab' at my dogs collar...the two collies would probably roll over for a tummy tickle!..my GSD would not be impressed but would not react...unless i told her to!!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Hmm that is not quite the same thing though.

That is part of proofing a down, sit or stand.

Ie to test if you have taught it thoroughly enough by trying to pull the collar/lead/dog out of position (obviously ANYONE can move MOST dogs if sufficient force is used)

The same principle as tempting the dog with a ball or food.
Oh, I know its not the same a dog choosing not to move by itself......just saying that we did that as part of training that's all.

As for someone taking him off AWAY from me by the collar, if I said to him to go he would go (but look quite disgusted), if I didnt and someone just GRABBED at him and pulled him off, he would not be impressed.....but I dont think that he would do a formal stay (cos hasnt been told...) just that, that is how we did training...someone tug at his lead/collar and he stayed...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 07:15 PM
I have taken a dog by the collar - a BC girly was running around the main road, and i had to catch her... thankfully she came running right up to me so I could get hold her collar, rather than grab it. I didn't think about this being a dog I know nothing about...

Jake doesn't mind people taking his collar.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 06:32 PM
In the past Honey would go mad if someone did this, gone up on her back legs and put her feet on their arms if they tried this, making noise to away, and if they didn't let go would mouth (not bite) and use her feet ti scratch them, nowadays she just wouldn't get near enough to a stranger to let them grab her collar for love or money, Diesel would just walk away with them, but if someone grabbed their collars now I'd be the one making the noise.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6