View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 09:44 AM
well im in preston, old factory town...unbeleivable amount of terraced houses...old factories(now posh apartments)...a few cr*p areas as per usual, Fishergate is the main town road with shops, bars night clubs, University of Central Lancashire
http://www.uk-photos.co.uk/preston.htm cant beleive the comments though!!!!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Whitehaven is situated in Cumbria, we are lucky to have the Lake District on our doorstep.

It is a small harbour town, that hosts a twice yearly Maritime Festival and we are getting a bit famous for it! This year over 250,000 people came to see the tall ships, fireworks, aerial displays and much more.

It is undergoing regeneration at the moment, the harbour is gorgoeus but the rest of the town needs to catch up a bit!!

The locals are very friendly on the whole and some big characters!
pawprints
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2005, 06:53 PM
I live about 20 minutes drive from the famous Alnwick Castle, in Northumberland, where the `Harry Potter` films were made, also a `Black Adder` scene, I believe ... We live just outside the village of Acklington, near Amble, which has the best fish & chips in the area! The village, has a school, with about 12 pupils! Not much else ... farmers market, fields & more fields, where I walk Eddie. We rent a farmhouse with a huge garden & a 2 acre paddock ... only been here since March but I love it! Due to OH`s job, we have moved & rented 11 times in 11 years ...! But, I am happy to say ... we are staying here for a good while ... we have the Northumberland coast which is beautiful & only 3 miles away & all the National Trust & parks around us .. lovely, friendly North-East people too... it`s a great place to live. Lucy
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Well I live in 'one of the best examples of a Georgian market town' in England. Under 10,000 population, markets on Thursday and Saturday and monthly farmers' market.
Very quiet, very rural. I love it - would probably hate it if I was 15!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Market.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bookshop.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	798   Click image for larger version

Name:	almshouses.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	799  
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom
Whitehaven is situated in Cumbria, we are lucky to have the Lake District on our doorstep.

It is a small harbour town, that hosts a twice yearly Maritime Festival and we are getting a bit famous for it! This year over 250,000 people came to see the tall ships, fireworks, aerial displays and much more.

It is undergoing regeneration at the moment, the harbour is gorgoeus but the rest of the town needs to catch up a bit!!

The locals are very friendly on the whole and some big characters!
http://www.visitcumbria.com/ looks lovely there
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 08:07 PM
I come from the affectionately named 'Potteries' in Staffordshire, which is made up of 6 towns, famous for Wedgewood and Doulton etc

www.visitstoke.co.uk
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
I come from the affectionately named 'Potteries' in Staffordshire, which is made up of 6 towns, famous for Wedgewood and Doulton etc

www.visitstoke.co.uk
I collect toby jugs from Doulton,woods&Sons, shorter and sanderland.
Tassie is very beautiful, and until we had moved over here I had never seen a platypus in the wild only at the zoo and all I had to do when we moved here was to take the dogs for a walk to the clyde river which was about 2minutes from our old place and yet people from the mainland would pay a forture to see one in the wild
lovestaffsblu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Edenbridge in Kent is where I am at, at the mo. I will get the link for it.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-07-2005, 03:49 PM
I'd love to visit Tassie, and hopefully see a representative of Sacrophilius satanicus (which, I think, is the scientific name for the Tasmanian Devil ?), but I'll bet it,s not as cuddly as it looks on TV! Anything which can whip the hind leg off a wallaby is worth giving a wide berth, cute-looking or not!

Well, I might win the Lottery someday, and if I do, I'll call by on my way to visit friends in NZ!

Meanwhile, I'm happy enough here in Orkney! The "national animal" (if there is such a thing here) would be the Border Collie, which is A-OK with me! The worst bit of being here is that every company down south seems to regard us as a bunch of peasants living on a handful of rocks off the north of Jockoland, and therefore not worth any effort - just look at the number of TV ads which say (in little letters) "U.K. Mainland only", or at the catalogues which give delivery times, with the added caution "Does not apply to the Scottish Highlands and Islands". Have none of them ever heard of ferries? One site I USED to use sent things to "Orkney, Inverness", then the p[ackages had to be redirected to Aberdeen, thus missing the most appropriate ferry and delaying the delivery by up to five days!

BTW, if anyone ever sends me something by Parcelforce, don't pay for next-day delivery. Nothing EVER makes it here in a day!
I paid an extra £9 for 24-hour delivery of my digicam, knowing 24 hours was impossible, but hoping for 48. The damn package took more than 24 hours to ship from Paris to the French coast, and took another four days after that (most of it, apparently, in Glasgow!)

Orkney is, by and large, a nice place. You don't have to lock your door, unless you're paranoid, and cars are usually parked and left with the keys in .It's considered rude to lock your house, and the crime rate (though now higher than it used to be)is very, very low (Insurance companies love it, they can take our money and never have to pay out!

It's a great place for horses and dogs, and there are hundreds of ponies, but I won't try even to guesstimate how many dogs there are (about 50% BC!).

I used to live in Edinburgh, and loved it. I still think it's a great city, as cities go (after all, I was born there), but I prefer it here - as I used to say when my work colleagues asked why I wanted to come here, "Fewer morons per metre!". No offence intended to anyone who is still there, of course, but I wouldn't really want to go back, I'm too used to open spaces and long beaches nowadays. I'm afraid Edinburgh stinks, after you've been here a few days (diesel, exhaust, Indian restaurants, the abbatoir etc etc). I never noticed the smell until my first visit back from here, some years ago, but I haven't forgotten it since

Snorri
(Boondocksman)
sambo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2005, 05:53 PM
I can sum up my town in 2 words **** HOLE lol

So jealous of all your lovely towns.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >