View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2011, 04:25 PM
just another quick rant was again out walking the other day around a fishing lake my two on leads as usual when a collie appeared out of no where luckily ignored my two but headed straight to a fisherman knocking most of his kit in to the water obviously he was shouting a bit when the owners appeared and the fisherman asked if they could put a lead on ther dog there reply was he likes running free no apology or offer to help the poor bloke retrieve his kit some people have no consideration for others
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Its lack of consideration for others. If i see a dog on lead and mine are off i call them back and put them on lead, there is usually a reason why dogs are on leads i always think. People just don't get it do they ? i've lost count the amount of time people with off lead dogs have let theirs run up to mine (mine are ok but they don't know that) its just courtesy at the end of the day.

The "my dog just wants to play" brigade - your dog might want to play but mine doesn't usually works !
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Just to say I have used the "My dog has an infectious skin disease and the vet says if I leash her other dog owners should keep their dogs away" and it worked brilliantly, especially with a large GSD that was rapidly approaching on-lead Cherry. I wouldn't have believed the middle-aged owner could have moved so quickly! Impressive, hopefully it gives food for thought about letting their dogs approach other on-lead dogs too.

Only problem is I don't like lying!
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Me neither but you do what you have to do....
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Only problem is I don't like lying!
Better a lie than a fight imo.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Better a lie than a fight imo.
Yes-that's a good point!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Had another prime example today Went into a park today which looked empty except for a man and his little girls in the fenced off childrens area. However a few meters in a brown staffie x shot across the park, right from the other side, like a bat out of hell. It was clear what was going on, another big bug bare of mine. The man bought both the kids and the dog down the park then decided to leave the dog dashing around by itself outside the fenced area. This happens all the time in summer, the dogs are left to do as they please while dad supervises the kids - but of course this is ok "because he's friendly" *sigh*

Anyway, didn't like the body language of this dog, hard eyes, hackles up, tail straight in the air. So I was too far from the gate but I ducked out of the big hole in the chain link fence and hot footed it up the alleyway. I had hoped the dog wouldn't leave it owner - I was wrong. It was right up our backsides the entire length of thr alley. We were at the end and almost at the main road before I head the owner call. The dog had left the park entirely and ran up a 40ft alleyway to a main road before the owner even realised he had gone! Never did see the owner, luckily the dog lost interest at the main road and dropped back while we legged it. So dangerous, that dog could have got run over and I'm not taking the blame if it had. I nearly bought a pet corrector today to carry (it has no effect on Cain, loud noises do not bother him, so I wouldn't scare him if I had to use it) and half way up the alley I really wish I had one.

Parks everywhere were full. Luckily, after walking to park number 4, we found one empty. Had a lovely 40 mins with the park to ourselves, training and loads of off lead running and fetch with his squeak ball. He's knackered now. So despite a shaky start, had a good walk in the end
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 08:42 PM
How annoying Amanda! Some owners just have no idea!

I'm glad I carry a pet corrector spray as I won't let dogs charge Cherry now she can't see well-it is not fair on her to get stressed. She doesn't bother about the noise either (nor does Parker).

We have met 2 Staffies off-lead on pavements next to roads in the last couple of days. I cross over and I am afraid if the dog follows me and gets runover it's not my fault-should be leashed! What is it with people not having dogs leashed when they are near a road? do they think it looks good? Must be this as I can think of no sensible reason why you would have a dog off-leash near a road!
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6