View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2011, 10:31 AM
But Dawn, you have said you have an issue with crate training anyway.
Crate training doesnt automatically equal cruelty or stress, thats just your opinion, which, of course, you are entitled to have, but one that shouldnt be mistaken for the seperate issue you have raised on this thread.

Crate training introduced and used for the correct purposes (such as the case Paws described) is fine, and recommended by most trainers for most dogs from puppyhood.

When it comes to purpose and practice, crates are essentially smaller versions of kennels, and im sure you dont use your kennels as the point of your dog's lives, anymore than decent crate users dont use crates for the point of their dog's lives.

Of course, you get people that use both to lock up their dogs all day
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Good point, and of course, in kennels there must be somebody there 24/7!
But 24/7 doesnt actually mean someone is physically with each kennelled dog 24/7.

It means their is someone on site, so you could argue this point the other way round.
A pet sitter with a couple of dogs whom then pops out ot walk some and leave some at home, for a short period, could actually, throughout a 24 hour period, have much more physical visible contact of those dogs than the kennel workers do for the numbers of dogs in thir care, especially between 5pm and 8 am.

That isnt a critique of either system, just putting things into an objective perspective.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2011, 11:36 AM
I am a little confused by all of this to be honest.
I don't get that it would be illegal to look after a friend's dog for a week if no charge is made.
I am registered as a fosterer for a big rescue and don't need to inform the council if we have visitors. I also board for Guide Dogs at points and intend to have a couple of pups back (now working) when their owners are away on holiday (as Guide Dogs now no longer board working dogs for their owners). Again...I don't need to be seen by the council...so not sure what the difference is if I look after one of the local dogs?
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Lucky you have any regulations at all. There is no licensing for dog sitters here. You can get insurance, the good ones do, but most don't.

I've pet sat for friends/family in the past and so much can go wrong its unreal. If I were to do it as a business, insurance would be the first thing I got!

TBH kennels aren't much better here. They ARE regulated by the USDA, but the standards are VERY low.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I am a little confused by all of this to be honest.
I don't get that it would be illegal to look after a friend's dog for a week if no charge is made.
I am registered as a fosterer for a big rescue and don't need to inform the council if we have visitors. I also board for Guide Dogs at points and intend to have a couple of pups back (now working) when their owners are away on holiday (as Guide Dogs now no longer board working dogs for their owners). Again...I don't need to be seen by the council...so not sure what the difference is if I look after one of the local dogs?
i think you are correct
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
So if a mate went to hospital and I took their dogs in I`d be breaking the law?
Then it`s silly law.
That would depend, would you expect them to pay you? I mean I looked after my sisters dog no end of times, never had a penny for it, nor would I have.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Lucky you have any regulations at all. There is no licensing for dog sitters here. You can get insurance, the good ones do, but most don't.

I've pet sat for friends/family in the past and so much can go wrong its unreal. If I were to do it as a business, insurance would be the first thing I got!

TBH kennels aren't much better here. They ARE regulated by the USDA, but the standards are VERY low.
for every great boarding kennel over here, you get a poor one as well.
but they are all still 'licensed'.
and the poor ones are just as busy as the good ones.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
That would depend, would you expect them to pay you? I mean I looked after my sisters dog no end of times, never had a penny for it, nor would I have.
I`d expect them to pay food etc yes. I`m on a pension.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
But Dawn, you have said you have an issue with crate training anyway.
Crate training doesnt automatically equal cruelty or stress, thats just your opinion, which, of course, you are entitled to have, but one that shouldnt be mistaken for the seperate issue you have raised on this thread.

Crate training introduced and used for the correct purposes (such as the case Paws described) is fine, and recommended by most trainers for most dogs from puppyhood.

When it comes to purpose and practice, crates are essentially smaller versions of kennels, and im sure you dont use your kennels as the point of your dog's lives, anymore than decent crate users dont use crates for the point of their dog's lives.

Of course, you get people that use both to lock up their dogs all day
I have NO problem with crate training Kruse, never have, all my dogs will go in a crate. I have a HUGE issue with KEEPING dogs in crates just because the owners choose to do so to make life easier for themselves. I also do not under ANY circumstances condone leaving dogs crated because of friction with others in the same household, I believe I was very clear on that.

At shows, my dogs go in a crate if they are on the bench, they also of course travel in one in the car.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`d expect them to pay food etc yes. I`m on a pension.
Then you have accepted no payment for "board" have you?
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »