View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 06:57 PM
I personally don't think that rescues charge too much, but that is said from a doggy person. Joe public may well go to a rescue and think, well this second-hand dog is £150 but we could get a brand new puppy from the paper for not that much more and buy rather than rescue (I know that rescues do get puppies in but they don't often stay long).

The rescues have some dogs that come in and go out very quickly, that may have already been neutered and the money spent on that dog isn't a great deal. A beautiful little chi that I have walked at the rescue I volunteer at had only just come in when she was snapped up. Then there are the other dogs who stay for months, need neutering and require veterinary and behavioural input. The rescue spends a lot of money on these dogs.

So although I and many others would pay £150 for a rescue dog, the cost would put other people off.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:07 PM
My personal gripe is not taking the age and condition of some animals into account. Some, but certainly not all rescues do not differentiate. There is no way Id pay a lot of money for an elderly dog or one that had health issues to begin with.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
There is no way Id pay a lot of money for an elderly dog or one that had health issues to begin with.
I think that some rescues pay vets bills for the duration of the dog's life if there is a pre existing medical condition though?
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Not sure if anyone else has heard this, but the Kennel Club are trying to give the affiliated breed rescues more of a profile at Crufts this year. We (breed rescue representatives) had to fill in surveys last year and now we're being asked to drop in to their stand at Crufts and talk to them about our veiws on breed rescue and what the KC can do to help. There is also talk of them providing rescues with things like ring tape and score cards and other bits and bobs to use on fundraising days.

I think on one hand it is a great idea - but can the KC ever hope to ensure all the breed rescues operate within anything but a very vague set of guidelines?
As a breed rescue, we enjoy a flexibility in our approach that I suspect larger charities and rescues run by trustees / committees don't.

Totally OT? Well, I suppose it could be, but it depends how deeply the KC want to get involved and create uniformity.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Kanie View Post
Not sure if anyone else has heard this, but the Kennel Club are trying to give the affiliated breed rescues more of a profile at Crufts this year. We (breed rescue representatives) had to fill in surveys last year and now we're being asked to drop in to their stand at Crufts and talk to them about our veiws on breed rescue and what the KC can do to help. There is also talk of them providing rescues with things like ring tape and score cards and other bits and bobs to use on fundraising days.

I think on one hand it is a great idea - but can the KC ever hope to ensure all the breed rescues operate within anything but a very vague set of guidelines?
As a breed rescue, we enjoy a flexibility in our approach that I suspect larger charities and rescues run by trustees / committees don't.

Totally OT? Well, I suppose it could be, but it depends how deeply the KC want to get involved and create uniformity.
We will be there as well, oh well Dawn think we were wrong about each other don't you i didn't realise you were quiet as nasty as you are, and yes i do it because i want to, i don't ever do it for pats on the backs or well dones, wouldn't be in it if i did i have never asked for Sympathy or said poor me, where do you get that from, just pointing out that theres more to volunteering than just rehoming dog, it was the insinuation that we couldn't posiibly pay that much for a spay that put my back up, and yes you've found them local to you, so are you going to put them up at your kennels?? or send me the names of the practices, after all i'm sure there are rescues in your area that would be grateful for the heads up
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
I think that some rescues pay vets bills for the duration of the dog's life if there is a pre existing medical condition though?
Yes Im sure they do. I have no problem commending those actions. We did that ourselves with some Labs we had in.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
exactly and this is what your donation helps, i don't pay Fudges Vet bills, Nessr does, but then i suppose some would have said he's not worth it and have him PTS
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
exactly and this is what your donation helps, i don't pay Fudges Vet bills, Nessr does, but then i suppose some would have said he's not worth it and have him PTS
You will always get that fraction - and they are the ones who look in from the outside and do not allow themselves to bond with dogs in that special way.

In Big rescues - they are often the ones in Head office, who do not see the dogs or deal with them on a daily basis, its just a bit of paper to them.

But you know he is worth it
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
We will be there as well, oh well Dawn think we were wrong about each other don't you i didn't realise you were quiet as nasty as you are, and yes i do it because i want to, i don't ever do it for pats on the backs or well dones, wouldn't be in it if i did i have never asked for Sympathy or said poor me, where do you get that from, just pointing out that theres more to volunteering than just rehoming dog, it was the insinuation that we couldn't posiibly pay that much for a spay that put my back up, and yes you've found them local to you, so are you going to put them up at your kennels?? or send me the names of the practices, after all i'm sure there are rescues in your area that would be grateful for the heads up
Sticks and stones my dear....... sticks and stones......

I remind you of this:
Amen to that, to all the rescue bashers, how are you spending your Sunday?? because i'm making dog coats to sell to pay the vets bills, and yesterday i picked one springer up and rehomed another so thats my weekend gone yet again, i'm not looking for medals or a pat on the back, i do it because i love springers (and cockers a bit ) and i want to help as many as i can, without a reasonable donation we would be unable to carry on.
Poor you!

I also remind you of this reply of mine:
Yes CAVAN Vets, they have several places. Cavan stands for "companion animal vaccination and neutering"

In this area also there are "pet save" or "Value Vets" who also do much reduced neutering and vaccines. These are public prices, most Vets give discounts for rescues anyway. Id have a hunt round if I were you.
Which was responded to by you saying:
Dawn we squeeze every penny we can out of our vets,and regularly negotiate deals, we're not a new rescue have been at it 30 years, but then again I forgot Dawn knows everything
I draw you to the highlighted portion, and ask you, who was being rude here in this thread to begin with? Why, I have no idea. Then have a wee think about who is nasty in this case too. I think thats pretty clear.

Many thanks.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Sticks and stones my dear....... sticks and stones......

I remind you of this:

Poor you!

I also remind you of this reply of mine:

Which was responded to by you saying:

I draw you to the highlighted portion, and ask you, who was being rude here in this thread to begin with? Why, I have no idea. Then have a wee think about who is nasty in this case too. I think thats pretty clear.

Many thanks.
Night night once a bully always a bully and theres nothing worse than a cyber bully biggest cowards of the lot, so are you going to let me send the dogs to your kennel so i can get them done for a tenner less than up here

You want to know why i was rude, i pointed it out in the last post it was the insinuation that we didn't know what we were doing, WE HAVE done our research in the areas we Cover, and the AVERAGE price for Neutering is £100, you made out i was a liar, the last thing i am is a liar why would i make it up if you go check our last set of accounts we had more going out than coming in, so to even suggest that some people are making money out of rescue i find insulting, and to that end will defend my corner, from a Nasty piece of work like you
Page 6 of 15 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »