Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I can sympathise with you. I own a Dobermann, that should tell you a lot.
Funnily enough when I just had the one Dobermann I found people tended to turn on their heel etc and avoid us even when he was a pup but as soon as we got the second one it seemed to stop and now when we walk all 5 no one seems to be bothered at all. I don't understand it myself because if one is deemed to be threatening you'd think 5 would be 5 times as intimidating but that doesn't seem to be the case
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Funnily enough when I just had the one Dobermann I found people tended to turn on their heel etc and avoid us even when he was a pup but as soon as we got the second one it seemed to stop and now when we walk all 5 no one seems to be bothered at all. I don't understand it myself because if one is deemed to be threatening you'd think 5 would be 5 times as intimidating but that doesn't seem to be the case
Crazy eh?!

perhaps they look more sociable because they are a group and getting along? I really dont know, lots of people compliment him and his behaviour regularly yet it seems there are spats where you get 'one of those' the dirty looks the kids being throws into buggys.....luckily a lot of people round here see us out a lot and are fine but sometimes I do get annoyed quickly at the fact that people seem to get the impression its ok to be rude to someone with a big dog...

but hey ho
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Iv even seen people literally shriek in the street, like they seriously fear for their life or something - its mental!! then there are the rude ones - see above (rolly eyes) and so on.....but as I say, cant slate everyone the same I suppose, some people are very nice about him
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Sadie is a breeze to take out. She will tell off rude dogs and puppies but is generally lovely. I don't avoid any places with her - except the ones where there are people who have DA dogs offlead with no regard to everyone else

Louie - he's like your Zeff in a way - wants to play with EVERYONE! Although he's not too good at reading other dogs.

Benjie - NIGHTMARE! There are some times when he will walk past another dog, no problem..but on the whole, it's just one stressful walk after another. Hopefully a bit of a Dogsey walk will help him. I don't agree with the technique of flooding but I think it will help him a little, he tends to be better with dogs offlead (both him and the other dog) but his reactions scare people off and he has no chance of getting anywhere if people are scared off by him.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:07 PM
My walking experiences havent been brilliant, you tend to walk into more trouble than you want to round here so I avoid people and dogs, simple as that. I also tend to find that very few people will actually stop and let the dogs play or bother to talk anyway...Probably because this is Nottingham and they are afraid I have a knife or a gun (well, I do wear combat trousers!)

The walk you described Tassle would be Hell for Flynn. Generally, he'll walk past other dogs totally uninterested, or it's their owners he's more interested in. He hates being hassled by other dogs and most definately will not play, other dogs just seem to irritate him. He wont bother other dogs unless he's being bothered and then he'll get grumpy.

It would be Heaven for Jed as he's a very sociable dog and likes to play but as with all games, he gets bored quickly and soon moves off to wee up something.

Jessie is very much in the ignore camp and will not approach people or dogs unless me or the other two are interacting with them and then she'll take that as her cue. Too many dogs and she can get a bit defensive but she will have a play but doesnt like improper behaviour!

The walk you described for me though would be absolute Hell! I like my peace and quiet and loneliness on a walk.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Funny me saying most of the dogs around my way are alright, when just now on our walk some horrible Husky thing slunk out of the shadows and went for my Bo. Luckily she was on lead and I politely(!) shouted at horrible Husky thing to f-off.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:24 PM
We live near many acres of heathland 8 minutes walk away and have the choice of many differing walks on the heath.
You get to know the different dogs (and owners!) and we often go out to different parks and beaches, National Trust places etc.

Parker is extremely sociable and very good with both social skills and reading other dogs. It is interesting watching him. Like the other day we were sitting on a bench by the river and I saw people approaching with a Sheltie. The Sheltie was being "mobbed" by a Springer and looked nervous. Parker normally likes to meet and greet but he just let it walk past.

The only thing he will not put up with is often we have Staffies charge up to him and not leave him alone. He will then growl and chase them away but it never breaks into anything more (fortunately!). I think it is because they have an aggressive stance and the way they run straight up to another dog's head is rude in doggy terms. When Parker has twice met a calm friendly Staffy he is fine. We are always meeting rude/aggressive Staffies though unfortunately! We met a rude one on the beach on Saturday and the owner was literally half a mile away! Jamie said we could have stolen his dog easily!

Cherry is a totally different kettle of fish. She is kept on a flexi-lead and is only good with small dogs and puppies or dogs she knows due to fear aggression and bad eyesight.
Parker doing the meet and greet helps as I can then usually just walk her on past the other dog. I do appreciate when people recognise the fact that she is on a lead may mean that she has "issues" and leash their dogs and not let them charge her which frightens her.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Seren,could it be because you have him on the lead. I tend to keep Lana away from dogs who are onlead because I think that the owner doesn't want their dog to mix with the others plus I know what a nuisance it is when the dog's on the lead and Lana does go up to them and the dog on the lead ends up jumping about trying to play and the owner has a hard time holding onto them so I try to avoid that at all costs.

It could be for that reason alone that people keep their dogs away.

When someone is approaching you could start calling out to them from a distance asking how old their dog is and it's name, remarking on the weather or something so as most people are polite and will reply, hopefully anyway, giving you time to get nearer and you could then say your dog is friendly and wants to play but is not so good at coming back so giving a reason for her being on a lead. If they don't reply and turn away then you know they're not worth bothering with.

Don't let it get you down, hopefully once they are more used to seeing you about they will start letting their dogs play with yours
seren1981
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Seren,could it be because you have him on the lead. I tend to keep Lana away from dogs who are onlead because I think that the owner doesn't want their dog to mix with the others plus I know what a nuisance it is when the dog's on the lead and Lana does go up to them and the dog on the lead ends up jumping about trying to play and the owner has a hard time holding onto them so I try to avoid that at all costs.
It is probably that. I am always a bit nervous of talking to people before they talk to me, but I will give it a go. Noodles is really good about meeting other dogs - he stands still or lies down until the other dog approaches.

Perhaps I will some of the people with bigger dogs if they mind it he plays / walks with them, he is always so much better off lead when there is another dog to play with - otherwise he generally only goes in straight lines!
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 09:44 PM
I walk in a few different parks and woods with Madison off lead she generally ignores other dogs more intrested in her ball! i walk her with most of my dog walking dogs and they all play together but don't really go up to other dogs, maybe just a quick sniff, fortunately most of the dogs are friendly where i walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble
I can't wait to get my second dobie in july then as maybe people wont cross the road or pick up thier small dog when they see Mads and pup coming
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >