View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Galty - I didn't say anyone was stating that! I'm saying that if anyone could prove it was the best way then fair enough. And until it's proved then I'm against it. Please don't get the idea that I approve of it. It's just I don't have any proof that it is or isn't the best way to PTS a dog.
I've already said I don't like the idea. I'm into rescuing dogs not killing them.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post

Dawn you have now accused both Jodie and myself of only posting on threads that hold an interest for us. Unfortunately I do not have the time or capacity to post on threads that have no particular interest for me and Im not sure why I should do so just to please you, if the mods have a problem with it I am sure they will inform me of it. I didn’t know it was a rule that people had to post on more than one thread. Yes I love reading about other people’s dogs, training methods and I do read them but do not feel it necessary to respond to every one of them – you may have the time on your hands to do so but I and Im sure others do not.
Neither you or Jodie responded to this thread that started a year ago with 160 odd replies and lasted nearly 6 months.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...t=gsd+bolt+gun
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
Borderdawn - just out of a matter of interest, why wouldn't you let a captive bolt gun be used on your dogs? Is it coz it's better for you or better for the dogs? And what would you have used?
Just interested to hear from someone who is not against CBG's being used in certain circumstances
My dogs are pets that are used to being handled, and kept as such. My choice, for my dogs. What others choose is THEIR choice.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by galty View Post
Neither you or Jodie responded to this thread that started a year ago with 160 odd replies and lasted nearly 6 months.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...t=gsd+bolt+gun
GSD's not Greyhounds Galty!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I must say that I was surprised to know that to kill a dog or horse with a bolt gun does not require that person to be licensed for what is after all a lethal weapon. If this is true, then I think something should be done to legally remedy this.

The original question was - should a bolt gun be used to kill a Dog - and I would say that in the vast majority of circumstances no. They are not the size of a horse or cow (whose carcase is often utilised afterwards) and if it is considered by "experts" to be the best way to kill a dog then why is it not the routine method used by veterinary surgeons, who must be the most appropriately experienced people.
The killing (and I am using the word killing deliberately - not pts, euthanise, or any other term) is for most people a distressing and stressfull thing and should not be done lightly or casually by someone who is doing it for convenience and sees it as the least expensive means of despatch.
If you can get near enough to use a bolt gun efficiently on a dog, then you can also get near enough to sedate it effectively enough to then go on to administer the final dose of a drug to end its life.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Borederdawn - I wasn't being sarcastic you know. I'm interested that's all. Sometimes you come across as being really sarcastic. I don't know if you mean to or not
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
That's fine, having witnessed many horses beign PTS over the yrs, (not all my own) I can tell you that the 1 that was euthanized by injection was the saddest thing I ever saw

Yes its very traumatic for the owner to witness their horse beign shot, but I can tell you they are down in an instant, before the huntsman has had time to remove his gun.

Personally taking my horse to the kennels and walking him into the field allowing his to look around, then the man with the gun rubbing his head the instant before he shot him is far better than having the vet come, inject him, then having to wait for the horse to fall, try to stand again, fall , fighting the drug all the way!!

I know which way Ifeel is the kindest!!

Hey spot, glad to see you back,see you have not lost the ability to exaggerate a persons post to suit your argument

Is that right!! funny spot forgot to mention that
Well, I'll have to take your word for it JB, but when I had Tally euthanised by injection, it was so calm and peaceful for him. I had him on the headcollar and leadrope outside the stable, munching a delicious haylage breakfast. The vet walked up to him, patted him on the neck, and told me what to do and what to expect. He injected him, and he carried on munching until the anaesthetic took effect, which from memory was a few seconds. He just went down and that was it, he died so peacefully with a few wisps of haylage sticking out of his mouth like a dummy. The danger of the bolt gun, the vet explained, is that occasionally they can cock up ... they are only human after all ... and they don't kill the animal instantly, but have to reload.

Now THAT IS the stuff of nightmares, and I was not prepared to put my beloved horse through that, however unlikely. The vet explained there is always the risk of the horse jumping at the wrong moment, due to car backfiring, or gunshot, or whatever, although this was very unlikely with Tally because he was an ex Metropolitan police horse. It costs a shedload of money to use the injection method, plus disposal is more expensive because of cremation costs, but I am totally confident that Tally knew nothing of what was happening.

I cannot see how shooting a bolt into a horse's head can be as peaceful an end, but each to his own, we are all different and have different perceptions of what is bearable and what is not.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
No Im not, just read the threads and participation. Jodie saw fit to use the heading bolt guns and throw a picture of a dog that had NOT been shot with one to form an argument.
Clearly, you are more of an expert than myself Dawn on these bolt guns, so are more qualified to comment than I, but I cannot see how you can say definitively that 100% that wound was NOT caused by a bolt gun.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I Agree completey,

I wonder if Gnasher has witnessed more than her own horse beign PTS , from both methods??

As I am interested to know how one can form a judgement , if one has not witnessed both methods??

Gnasher, can you explain why the injection is the kindest and less traumatic ( for the horse ) way to euthanize.
No Jackbox, I have only experienced Tally being put to sleep, but I am going by what my vet advised. It is a long time ago, and I don't remember now if he was sending out a slaughterman to do the deed, or he himself would do it, I think it was he himself, so I am taking on board that vets may not be the best for the bolt gun route, but having had 1 horse put to sleep by injection, and more dogs than I care to mention, I cannot see how the bolt method can be less traumatic than the injection. In every case with the dogs, it was peaceful and dignified, even though I was less so, and with the horse too, as I have explained before.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I must say that I was surprised to know that to kill a dog or horse with a bolt gun does not require that person to be licensed for what is after all a lethal weapon. If this is true, then I think something should be done to legally remedy this.

The original question was - should a bolt gun be used to kill a Dog - and I would say that in the vast majority of circumstances no. They are not the size of a horse or cow (whose carcase is often utilised afterwards) and if it is considered by "experts" to be the best way to kill a dog then why is it not the routine method used by veterinary surgeons, who must be the most appropriately experienced people.
The killing (and I am using the word killing deliberately - not pts, euthanise, or any other term) is for most people a distressing and stressfull thing and should not be done lightly or casually by someone who is doing it for convenience and sees it as the least expensive means of despatch.
If you can get near enough to use a bolt gun efficiently on a dog, then you can also get near enough to sedate it effectively enough to then go on to administer the final dose of a drug to end its life.
This post sums up my feelings as well. I cant help but think alot of why the bolt gun is used on dogs by certain people or organisations is more about saving on costs then saving on distress to the animal.
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »