Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Just perusing your puppy's breeder's site

One stud is hip scored & his parents are not, the other stud has no hip score recorded. This speaks volumes about the breeder.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
How about wasting the breeders time? I mean unless its a breed where you can guarantee colour, for example the Lab, it SHOULD be the DOG and breed you are interested in first and foremost, not the colour. I turned down a couple who wanted a pup from Tarras litter because they didnt think blue Borders looked "right" Well a Border is a Border is a Border, and although they were perfect in many ways, I turned them down as to me it was a pathetic "reason" to offer somebody who was possibly selling them a dog.
Well what did they think they should look like

Thats some excuse there Dawn, dotn blame you either
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Well what did they think they should look like

Thats some excuse there Dawn, dotn blame you either
Obviously they should only come in one colour!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 08:55 PM
How about wasting the breeders time? I mean unless its a breed where you can guarantee colour, for example the Lab, it SHOULD be the DOG and breed you are interested in first and foremost, not the colour. I turned down a couple who wanted a pup from Tarras litter because they didnt think blue Borders looked "right" Well a Border is a Border is a Border, and although they were perfect in many ways, I turned them down as to me it was a pathetic "reason" to offer somebody who was possibly selling them a dog.
ooo thats what i was trying to say! lol. but you explained it much better
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Obviously they should only come in one colour!
lol, for years I thought they were a flash of fire shooting by, they move so quick your track vids prove that

were it not for the still shots on here of your lot, I would be none the wiser.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i agree with this totally! there isnt nothing wrong with wanting a certain colour but people shouldnt turn down a puppy because it isnt the right colour! at the end of the day the breed of dog is still the same, the colour doesnt affect temperment or health, and that should be the main thing.
Maybe the colour is not linked to health in your breed but non standard colours is in the GSD as unfortunately many predominate standard sires from the past that produced blues, whites etc also produced genetic conditions these then were heavily inbred on by those that breed for colour:
ie Vello produced whites linked to epilepsy
Uran produced Blues linked to dwarfism
Dulo black dog produced cryptorchids
Avon Prince carried white linked to epilepsy
Gerolf produced white linked to missing teeth, cryptorchidism

The list goes on
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
ooo thats what i was trying to say! lol. but you explained it much better
Stop agreeing with me, we will spoil our reputations!

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
lol, for years I thought they were a flash of fire shooting by, they move so quick your track vids prove that

were it not for the still shots on here of your lot, I would be none the wiser.
LOL! When I had my first Border, blues were not common in the ring at all, you rarely saw one, as common in litters though, just not favoured really. recent years have changed that with a few top winners being blue. We have lost the wheaten colour altogether now.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Stop agreeing with me, we will spoil our reputations!
oh, ok... i totally disagree with everything you said!!
katz14
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
Maybe the colour is not linked to health in your breed but non standard colours is in the GSD as unfortunately many predominate standard sires from the past that produced blues, whites etc also produced genetic conditions these then were heavily inbred on by those that breed for colour:
ie Vello produced whites linked to epilepsy
Uran produced Blues linked to dwarfism
Dulo black dog produced cryptorchids
Avon Prince carried white linked to epilepsy
Gerolf produced white linked to missing teeth, cryptorchidism

The list goes on
How do you get the list on the defects and how do you get more knowledgable about the breed?
I know that the black n tan/ Sable shorthair is the original shepherd and the true markings.
I have had 3 GSD's in the past 16 yrs .... purely for pets all long haired ... My first I got 16 yrs ago she was not KC registered no hip score health checks ... had never heard of this at the time sadly she had to be put to sleep when she was only 8 yrs old (Broke my heart) she took Degenerative Myelopathy when she was 7yr... My boy (well my hubbies boy) was KC reg parents and grandparents hip scored he lived until he was 14yrs only died earlier this year, my other boy was a son of the two and took cancer of the liver when he was 8yrs.
My new baby puppy that I have just now is KC reg and parents have got all health checks. I did get from a breeder but not a large breeder.
I thought to myself right for my next baby girl I will do it all the correct way this time and go to a reputable breeder they will be able to enlighten me and give me advice... but after reading on here .... I am not so sure about all the different colours and would love to find out more
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi Katz14
from years of research and reading, heres some info on epilepsy for you:
According to Hein 1987 (primary epilepsy. GSD League Handbook pages 39-42) the following dogs were known to have produced one or more cases of epilepsy;
Asoka Cherusker, Archer of Brinton, Arch Duke of Rozavel, Allegro of Seacroft, Barry v Status Quo,Derby vd Schinklergrenz, Druidswood Consort, Eclipse of Evely, Ferdl & Ilk vd Eschbacker Klippen, Fant vd Wienarau, Fenton of Kentwood, Gorsefield Granit, Hendrawens Sagitarius, Hendrawens Syrious Norge, Joll v Bemholt, Kenmils Valiant, Lorenz of Charavigne, Ludwig of Charavigne, Lummel v Haus Goldschmeid, Nestor v Haus Musshafen, Orsof v BuseckerSchloss, Rengar Dambuster, Rothick Echo, Rozavel Rob Roy, Royvons Red Rum, Sparticist of Hendrawen, Tramellas Insbrook Jonty, Unisca Ricardo, Vikkas Tanfield Caro, Verus vd Ulmer.
According to Willis 1991 (the German Shepherd Dog; A Genetic History pg 21 the following dogs produced fitters;
Astan Luke, Hendrawens Charade of Charavigne, Typhoon of Dawnway, Delridge Erhard, Conrad of Dukedene, Evelys Prince Charlie, Fuerstenkrone Condor, Lex of Glanford, Hendrawens Renaissance of Pipersmead, Bragi of Huesca, Lornaville Ambassador, Marlish Royal Charter, Ramacon Swashbuckler, Ramacon Philanderer, Renygar Desperado of Tramella, Vikkas Scipio av Hvitsand.
This list is not exhaustive just the well known dogs, others have produced fitters aswell, and also just because you have 1 or 2 of these in a line does not mean it will be a fitter, again its like most genetic conditions its the level of inbreeding on these dogs.
My stepson had a dog linebred to Tarquin who had seizures.
It is believed the primary source of Epilepsy in the English lines came from Avon Prince of Alumvale (blk/tan) KCSB no. 2389AG; s: Ch.Arno of Saba KCSB no. 348AF d: Briarville Crystal of Trystlynn KCSB no. 1232AF, he was also a white producer. Even back in the 60's Epilepsy was seen to be a Hereditary condition, yet people still go on breeding from known producers, and just keep it quiet or blame another cause. Although there are other causes ie head trauma, virus, certain medications but even then the dog is not in full health so should not be bred.

If you pm me your email I will email you more info, I am always willing to help those that want to improve the breed
Pam
Page 6 of 20 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »