register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Should there be an age limit on walking/owning SBT's ?
Yes Deffinately 50 57.47%
Possibly 9 10.34%
Undecided 4 4.60%
No It Wouldn't Make A Difference 17 19.54%
Yes To Wlking No To Owning A SBT 6 6.90%
No To Walking Yes To Owning 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 6 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Personally I think that regardless of what the breed is, you must be over 18 to own it and walk it.

How many times have you seen children walking dogs who refuse to pick up dog mess because it's uncool to be seen by there friends with a bag of crap in there hands.

I think that it should be illegal not to have your dog microchiped, but that a diifernt thread altogether.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2007, 02:56 PM
An awful lot of "adults" don't pick up either. There is no magic age when maturity and responsibility kick in.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I put no, I really don't think age is the issue at all. Most of the people I encounter with dogs that are not well trained or well controlled are not youngsters, maturity passes many people by for their entire life.
Control is'nt about physical strength at all. Anyone that is committed enough to train their dog properly should be able to control it whatever their size or the size of the dog.
Have to slightly disagree with you here. You can train a dog up beautifully but if your dog has never been attacked by another dog or taken fright of something etc. you won't know how your dog is going to react. What command do you give a dog, if it's being jumped on and bitten by another? There isn't one. The owner has to make some decisions. Now if a 7 stone dog was set upon by another dog, not much chance a small child is going to hold it. An average adult would stand a chance. A dog will fight or run. So I do think that physical strength does have a part to play with some breeds however well trained the dog is.
I do agree though that an adult age wise doesn't always have the social responsibility that they should have.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2007, 04:24 PM
ok but we are not necessarily talking about small children, the age of 18 and 21 have been put forward. I am the same height, weight and build as I was at 13 so physical strength does not always come into it.
I actually tell my dogs to leave it and walk on if another dog has dodgy intentions ( it works ) and I deal with the other dog myself by telling it in no uncertain terms where to go.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-06-2007, 05:13 PM
My point was that adults should know better when it comes to pick up they dogs mess, hence they have no excuse.

Whereas children are more worried about what there friends think about them.

megan57collies your right physical strength has nothing to do with it in general, but knowledge of your own dog does, and how to deal with different situations when out with your dog.

Please don’t try to tell me that a child would be able to deal with a dogfight in the same manner as an adult. Most children would either just stand there in fright or run away to get someone else to deal with it for them, by which time one of the dogs could get killed. Common sense and knowledge is more important than strength.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Personally think people should be over 18 to either own or walk a dog. Don't think it should have anything to do with breed though
-GreyhoundGirl-
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2007, 07:30 PM
YES! You have no idea how many teens get pitties because they're "cool" and "tough" . I'd say 22 years at least. For walking, I wouldn't want any child under 12 walking any large breed alone. Not just pitties, it's too easy for a large breed of dog to get away from a small child.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Personally I think that regardless of what the breed is, you must be over 18 to own it and walk it.

How many times have you seen children walking dogs who refuse to pick up dog mess because it's uncool to be seen by there friends with a bag of crap in there hands.
Personally think people should be over 18 to either own or walk a dog. Don't think it should have anything to do with breed though
I disagree, I don't think age is the issue. I am responsible for two dogs and am under 18. I love going to dog training, doing obedience and agility. I don't see why I should have to stop my hobby because of my age. Just because someone turns 18, doesn't make them a different person, it's just a number. Granted, they may have matured a bit, but will most likely still want the dog and still get it.

I adore my two dogs and while my friends are going out getting drunk on vodka every Friday night, I'm going to dog training or taking them for a walk on the beach. Is that really a bad thing?

I agree that I don't think SBT's are the issue. Any dog breed could be hard to control. I have been in the situation where my dog was attacked, twice actually, and I was alone and I dealt with it. I didn't stand there or laugh. And I certainly always pick up their poo, no matter who is with me

We're not all the same and I don't think it's fair to assume that every person under 18 cannot control a dog. Similar to deed not breed really isn't it
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
We're not all the same and I don't think it's fair to assume that every person under 18 cannot control a dog.
Of course your absolutely right and I'm sure there are many other youngsters like yourself, but sadly your in the minority I'd be interested to know how you think the problem with youngsters using dogs as weapons and status symbols can be stopped? Although mine is the easy answer I can't think of another way.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2007, 08:37 PM
I voted 'no it wouldn't make a difference' as I think it would be damaging for these breeds if a law like this was passed. If there was a section for 'yes for all breeds' I would have voted Yes :smt001
Page 6 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »