Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
My shar pei used to bark when the postie came, one morning we weren't even in and I came back to a note through the door saying couldn't deliver mail, dangerous dog, a bloomin note through the door ! maybe its just the posties here eh ?
Well that is mad. A dog behind a front door is no threat to anyone.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I would think the purpose of the spray , will be for the use on dogs on private property , I think if you where walking down the road with a dog on the lead, and the postie sprayed your dog for no reason, you would have a case for complaint.
i wasnt meaning that they would spray them walking down the street. i was just meaning that since having jake, i have realised how many people out there arent dog people and like to stay well clear of them (i just used walking down the street as an example of how people show this) so some people like that could easily spray a dog without the need. people abuse dogs in horrendous ways too much, and so some people wouldnt think anything of spraying the dog

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I don't know where these evil postmen/women have been hiding then. There have been loads come and go in my area over the years and all have been very friendly and welcoming to my dogs.

Most postmen/women are not going to be spraying dogs willy-nilly. They only time they are going to be using them is if they are under real threat.
many post on here have already proved that many posties arent nice, just as many have proved they are. the ones who arent nice to dogs might spray for no reason. i have learnt to never be surprised at how horrible people can be, so i wouldnt be surprised if the non-dog posties would spray through sheer dislike
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 08:16 AM
My shar pei used to bark when the postie came, one morning we weren't even in and I came back to a note through the door saying couldn't deliver mail, dangerous dog, a bloomin note through the door ! maybe its just the posties here eh ?
This is probably a silly question, but if the postie managed to push a note through the door, could he not have put your letters through the door instead?!

Laura xx
SamRottLabb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
My dogs would not be running loose anywhere near postmen TBH.
Mine neither - I have a box on the front of my property for the post aswell.

Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
I'm disgusted by this. Have there been any vets reports on the effects of such a substance on dogs? Amount sprayed? Depending on breed/size and age of dog etc? I doubt it.

And what sort of training are these postal idiots going to get?

I see my dogs as family members. Someone hurts my family, I hurt them back!

And also, what happens if my 4 year old Son gets in the way of this mace? I say bring it on posties - Royal Mail will be bankrupt in no time at all with the number of personal injury claims!

Laura xx
Why would a postman spray it near your son- it's for dogs!!!???

Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Good Post. I wonder how many posties have been bitten doing their job. Mine are never let out the front unless I am 100% sure the postman has been. I think people would soon keep their dogs in if they were told the postman refused to deliver and they had to travel to pick up their mail from the postal depot. Postmen are doing a job and shouldn't have to worry about being injured by dogs on their rounds.
Exactly! They are doing a job and should be able to without the worry of being bitten by a dog.

It says last summer the Royal Mail warned owners to control their dogs , or face legal action and a delivery ban, I'd rather have a delivery ban than have my dogs sprayed with Mace !
How did they warn owners ? I never got any leaflet or anything...
If there is a loose dog or they feal at threat they will return your mail back to the main office with a note on advising 'loose dog or unable to deliver due to....' and royal mail will then try to re-deliver and if they fail to again they will then send a letter to the address informing them to rectify the situation or all mail will be held for collection and if they don't pick it up it will be returned to the sender.

Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I suppose spraying it through a letter box would actually be an offence though?
Yes - immediate sack.

Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
This is probably a silly question, but if the postie managed to push a note through the door, could he not have put your letters through the door instead?!

Laura xx
Exactly as above he wouldn't of done he would of returned the mail if he felt that he couldn't deliver it. If they received a letter it would of been on a different day to when the incident occured as they have to try 2/3 times before they send out a letter of warning.

My o/h is a postman - it's not a thing they have to do it is up to the individual postman/woman whether or not they carry the spray with them. There is a batch in of the spray in the office and they can take if they feel they need it on their round.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 11:54 AM
I have a security gate and a postbox at that, so nobody can get near my house and the dogs don't run lose at the front anyways (not that they'd hurt anyone but they might bark if they didn't know somebody that was trying to enter the property). I think that a Postman has the right to use the spray if he feels threatened. Let's face it, there are some very aggressive dogs out there and I wouldn't like to be a postman having to deliver at some addresses. I imagine all Dogsey people are responsible owners but you can probably see that there are people out there who don't give a damn and the Posties have a right to protect themselves.
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-07-2009, 02:47 PM
The spray should only be used when the postperson has actually gone onto the addressees property and is confronted by a dog that either wasnt present or couldn't be seen, i.e sleeping under bushes or such, as said above if a dog is loose and the postie feels threatened they should return the letters with "could not deliver dog loose" written on them. I was once pinned to a garden fence by a large GSD, the garden was clear when i went in, but the kids opened the side door and the dog came charging out, was unhurt as someone came and dragged it off me but wasn't pleasant.I ended up refusing to deliver to that house and the house next door as the fence was missing and he next week i was trapped by same dog in next doors garden. These are the kind of situations where these divices would be used, although none of the posties i work with carry anything like this or even to old sonic dog buzzers they tend to have no effect or make the dog worse. As was said above if a postie sprayed through the letter box there would be big trouble, as you are told not even to put fingers through the letter box. I dont honestly think these will be used much as by the time you have the can out of your bag the dog would probably be on you.The official procedure is to place your delivery bag between you and the dog and back away without making eye contact. Don't know what the procedure is if the dog is between you and the only exit, but there you go.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6