Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
It sickens me that people breed from dogs with full knowledge that this could be passed onto their progency They should be made to see in person how distressing it is to see them fitting, perhaps then they would think twice about it & not just thinking about the dosh.
This is why, for poor old Snorri-dog, a bit of "how's your father?" remained some sort of dream.

Snorri
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

20-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
It's a nightmare when a doggie who has been fit-free for a while gets smacked by it again - there is a perfectly natural inclination to think it is cured. Unfortunately, epilepsy is not curable, but merely controllable. We managed to keep Snorri-dog fit free for periods of years, but it always came back.

The consolation is that Doggy doesn't feel anything during the episode, although he/she may very well feel confused after it.
There are many good websites which offer advice and sympathy: if you look in the Dogsey articles section, you'll find links to some of them.

It's the first I've heard of rectubes not working, but I suppose that, like so many other things, it varies from dog to dog.

All the best to all concerned

Snorri
Aw Snorri many thanks for your helpful response. Lucky Star has given me those sites when Loki first started taking them and they are indeed helpful. It is always just a shock when she takes them. It is awful to see them fitting. I will never get used to it, even after 2 and a half years of it.

Again many thanks, I appreciate it.

Take care.

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Aww Rose, big huge hugs for you and Loki, hope it eases off soon and she has a peaceful night.

take care,
big hugs
dani
She has taken another couple of them and now can't get up! She is sleeping on the floor beside me. Loki is confused but hopefully will stop taking the fits soon.

Many thanks Dani. I am shattered but not as shattered as poor Loki is!

OMG how awful having all those fits, you must feel so helpless seeing her go through this again & again.

It sickens me that people breed from dogs with full knowledge that this could be passed onto their progency They should be made to see in person how distressing it is to see them fitting, perhaps then they would think twice about it & not just thinking about the dosh.

Huge hugs to you, it must be utterly exhausting to see her go through all this. Hope the fits stop soon xxxxxxx
Oh I wish I could get my hands on her I know what I would do! It is sad because the Utes are a beautiful breed. Just one bad breeder can wreck the whole breed. Give a dog a bad name (no pun intended). Makes me very bitter!

Many thanks for your lovely response and wishes.

Take care.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I had been keeping everything crossed that it would be a one off, so sorry shes having so many, huge hugs..

just to show how ignorant I am, why does she get ice-cream kibble and meat after a fit?

Aw Shona, after each fit, they get so thirsty and hungry and ice cream brings them round a bit quicker, I believe. Lucky Star would be able to tell you more about the ice cream. Loki, like other dogs who fit, get very hungry - Loki will even eat the kibble on its own and she hates it normally unless something is mixed through it!! She drinks gallons of water to make up for all the water she loses. I believe this is the case with all dogs who fit.

Take care I will need to put her on a diet next week
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Just wanted to give oyu another hug. xxxxxxxxxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 06:30 PM
OMG how awful having all those fits, you must feel so helpless seeing her go through this again & again.

Huge hugs to you, it must be utterly exhausting to see her go through all this. Hope the fits stop soon xxxxxxx
The problem is also that is not just the direct parent wth epilepsy that has been used but a dog with epilepsy in the lines, even quite far back. Mode of inheritance isn't known in these dogs but it does seem that it only has to be in the lines.

With Rose's Loki, my Loki and others, it does seem to be rafractory epilepsy, where the fits are not able to be controlled properly by drug therapy (even though drug levels may be on the high end).

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I had been keeping everything crossed that it would be a one off, so sorry shes having so many, huge hugs..

just to show how ignorant I am, why does she get ice-cream kibble and meat after a fit?
A huge amount of energy is expended in a fit and the patient can be ravenous afterwards, so it is useful to offer a small amount of food after a fit. This also brings up the blood sugar levels so that if the fits are down to blood sugar, this may help avoid another one.

The ice cream was highlighted on the Guardian Angels Website, where the sugar and fat content of ice cream is thought to help stabilise blood sugar levels during the night and stave off a fit - if the problem is blood sugar. However, it can also help bring up blood sugar levels after a fit, in order to avoid another one that might come about through low blood sugar levels (brought on by the fits). Only a small amount is required though - about a tablespoon ... Rose, how much are you giving?

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-.../ice_cream.htm
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Oh poor Loki and poor you Rose, I do hope you can get it back under control, poor girl.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Thinking of you tonight Rose before I log off, and I hope you have a better night today, hopefully Loki is well over that phase now and she'll sleep like a baby tonight, and you too I hope! You take care, you'll be in my prayers tonight and Loki.xxxxxxx
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Oh I'm so sorry you are going through this again. Poor poor Loki and poor you. Hopefully increasing the dose will help and you can get some sleep tonight. Gentle hugs for her xx
litma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Poor Girlie Hope You Get It Under Control Soon.
Thinking Of You All
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

21-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Just wanted to give oyu another hug. xxxxxxxxxx
Aw many thanks, Ramble, and your hug is very gratefully received by both me and Loki

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
The problem is also that is not just the direct parent wth epilepsy that has been used but a dog with epilepsy in the lines, even quite far back. Mode of inheritance isn't known in these dogs but it does seem that it only has to be in the lines.

With Rose's Loki, my Loki and others, it does seem to be rafractory epilepsy, where the fits are not able to be controlled properly by drug therapy (even though drug levels may be on the high end).

A huge amount of energy is expended in a fit and the patient can be ravenous afterwards, so it is useful to offer a small amount of food after a fit. This also brings up the blood sugar levels so that if the fits are down to blood sugar, this may help avoid another one.

The ice cream was highlighted on the Guardian Angels Website, where the sugar and fat content of ice cream is thought to help stabilise blood sugar levels during the night and stave off a fit - if the problem is blood sugar. However, it can also help bring up blood sugar levels after a fit, in order to avoid another one that might come about through low blood sugar levels (brought on by the fits). Only a small amount is required though - about a tablespoon ... Rose, how much are you giving?

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-.../ice_cream.htm
Originally Posted by random View Post
Oh poor Loki and poor you Rose, I do hope you can get it back under control, poor girl.
Thank you LS for explaining all that - I am useless and explaining all that. I give her a little kibble and a some James Wellbeloved Turkey and Veg sachet - about half the packet to mix in with the kibble!! Loki scoffs the lot! If I don't have sachets, I give her a little tuna in sunflower oil. Not all that much, just enough to satisfy her.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thinking of you tonight Rose before I log off, and I hope you have a better night today, hopefully Loki is well over that phase now and she'll sleep like a baby tonight, and you too I hope! You take care, you'll be in my prayers tonight and Loki.xxxxxxx
Many thanks Helena. I appreciate that very much. Hope you have a good night's sleep. Take care.

Originally Posted by Berger View Post
Oh I'm so sorry you are going through this again. Poor poor Loki and poor you. Hopefully increasing the dose will help and you can get some sleep tonight. Gentle hugs for her xx
Many thanks Berger. She has had a few more, the latest one at 12.08 am. and 1.30 am Just hope they go away by tomorrow.

Originally Posted by HOWAHKAN View Post
Poor Girlie Hope You Get It Under Control Soon.
Thinking Of You All

I hope so as well IK'''''''''''vv

Many thanks and I hope they clear up as well. Take care.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 05:46 AM
Hoping Loki is settling abit today.....hugs to you and her ((((((hugs)))))))
Page 6 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »