View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi Shahs I think it does look a bit better. I would use good quality cotton wool for cleaning the wound, it has quite long fibres and sticks together when wet and can be thrown away after each us, either that or pieces of lint cut of a roll.I would then finish off by flushing the wound with a little of the betadine and boiled water solution using a plastic syringe or container , this will remove any bits.

As this now seems to be a bacterial infection if you use anything like reusable flannels they need to be boiled after each use or you risk recontaminating the wound .
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Well we've got through Christmas, Boxing day went back to vets, he seemed quite pleased with the wound. Have to go back tomorrow, so it must be better as we have a day off .

Here is the wound now, it's a lot better isn't it

My problem is that I don't seem able to get him walking, he takes a few steps quickly, then whimpers and sits down. He has finished his antibiotics this morning, we are still cleaning the area with betadine and water 3 times a day.

Poor little thing didn't really enjoy Christmas Day, feeling very sorry for himself, but was well enough to eat his turkey. Here he is looking very sorry for himself.

Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi Shaza the sore area is indeed looking better.

The collar will inhibit walking,I would remove the collar when Ozzie is on the lead and can't get at the wound. Maybe carry him a little way from home then put him down and let him walk back giving him encouragement in a bright tone of voice
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Hi Shaza, I'm really pleased it looks a lot better, and it definitely now looks like what Georgie has, especially as Ozzie is white, it's quite common in white dogs, in fact, I got most of my information from the westie website about this pyoderma when researching it!!!

I still think you should have been allowed to have that F*ciderm cream or the Spanish equivalent of it, coz it would have healed that all up in 24 hours, enough for him to have left it alone, and by now he wouldn't even be bothered with it. Unlike Mini, I don't think it's the collar problem with him out walking, I think it's still the tail. Now that the healing process has set in, it's gone a bit "tight" if you know what I mean, and he feels that when he's walking and moving the tail. That's what I reckon anyway.

Next time you're at the vets, just discuss with him that cream for any future problems like this IF he thinks it is pyoderma or wet ecezma, and if you get a minute take a look around on the westie websites about it coz it's very common in those. All the very best, and I'm so glad you got through Christmas with all this and hope you enjoyed yourselves.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm so glad you both agree that it looks a lot better. I don't think it is the collar affecting his walking, as I have tried without the collar and he is exactly the same, he has become a very pampered dog being carried everywhere - even to the garden so that he can have a wee or pooh.

I'm so tempted to use the Fucidine, I have some in the cupboard, though it is a gel and not cream, I was given it by the vet when Ozzie was castrated a month or so ago. My OH was with me at the vets when I asked about it last time, and he said no, so he says I shouldn't.

I will mention to the vet tomorrow regarding his walking, maybe now the infection has gone, he will allow me to use it.

Again - Many thanks, from the Dog Worrier - Sharon x
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post

Next time you're at the vets, just discuss with him that cream for any future problems like this IF he thinks it is pyoderma or wet ecezma, and if you get a minute take a look around on the westie websites about it coz it's very common in those. All the very best, and I'm so glad you got through Christmas with all this and hope you enjoyed yourselves.
Just notice that word Pyoderma, is on the shampoo bottle that the vet has given me to use every other day. Is Pyoderma different to ecezma Helena?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 06:57 PM
No Shaza, it's one and the same thing. Sometimes my vet calls it Pyoderma and sometimes refers to it as wet ecezma, and I'm now an expert in this field!!!! Unfortunately!!!!! I will find that website for you of those westies I mentioned with it ok.

I don't know if that cream of yours is the same as mine? Mine is called F*ciderm (that's a "u" as it won't come out otherwise!!) maybe look up about it, they sell it on my chemist site Hyperdrug or Bestpet Pharmacy, it might say on there what it's for???

No, I really don't think it's the collar, it's the fact that it's getting better and it feels tight and stingy as he moves his tail. Georgie's been like that with some of his sores. They're called "hot spots" and you can find tons of information on the net about hot spots!

Hope Ozzie is a lot more comfortable now, he should be. Ask your vet about my cream when you next see him, or find out what the Spanish alternative is?? All the best, glad he's on the mend!
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=Helena54;876695]No Shaza, it's one and the same thing. Sometimes my vet calls it Pyoderma and sometimes refers to it as wet ecezma, and I'm now an expert in this field!!!! Unfortunately!!!!! I will find that website for you of those westies I mentioned with it ok.

Thanks Helena I'd appreciate that

I don't know if that cream of yours is the same as mine? Mine is called F*ciderm (that's a "u"

Yes that is what I've got - but it's a gel, it's in an orange box with a red and orange stripe on, and black writing. It's a clear coloured gel.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Yes, that's the one, and I swear by it for any nasties on Georgie!!! My vet gives me loads of it, and says I MUST put it on any really bad sores, as it stops it in it's tracks, and it does exactly that! I don't usually do it for the 7 days either, I just do it for 2 or 3 coz it just heals it all up completely and I don't feel the need to carry on with it. When Georgie gets bad ears (blood, gunge etc. coming out of them!) my vet told me to throw a load of it into the ear too! Miraculously it just healed it all up overnight! You must remember to WEAR GLOVES though when you administer it, I always do coz it makes a point of this on the pack! Talking of ears, you'd better keep a very strict eye on Ozzie's ears now, coz my vet told me only the other day when I took Georgie for his ears yet again, he said to me "oh yes, pyoderma and ears go together!!" Just keep an eye on his ears for your own sake as well as his, coz I once came home from work only to find Georgie sitting there with his head hanging to one side and blood everywhere which had come from his ear. I rushed him over to the vet thinking the worst, and my vet looked in there and said "all self inflicted" and handed me another tube of Fu*ciderm!!!

This is not good news for you with your little Ozzie I'm afraid. You'll just have to keep a very strict eye on him from now on, make sure he has the BEST flea/mite treatment (talk to your vet, probably Advocate) and keep him clean and well groomed, which you do anyway by the looks!

I'll find that site for you, it's very informative.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 11:17 PM
The same cream is used on kiddies with excema too...It rang a bell as I used it on mine when they were little.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >