View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm so sorry for Jess and Kody . I hope there is some improvement soon for both really soon. Sounds like there is something going around?
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Me too Lucky. Kody seems to be very poorly doesn't he, poor little man let's hope he gets better soon as 5 days is a long time to be like this.

I hope Jess hasn't been sick again today, and don't forget, when the vet says 5 meals a day, he means 5 tiny amounts, please don't be tempted to give her more than she can handle as that will upset her all over again. Why not try some of that white minced fish you can get frozen from P@H, you can microwave it in 7 mins. pour cold water on it to cool it down, and one packet should do her for the whole day fed in small quantities? Fish is the easiest thing for the digestive system to handle, so forget her normal diet for the time being until she's got over all this. She's only a puppy, a sick puppy at that, and I know you want to feed raw, BUT, imo I really don't think her system can take chicken wings when it's been beaten up like it has with whatever it is she's got at the moment. That's my opinion. After all, you give old people who are ill soup or something that's easy for them to digest or fish, so I really think you should help her out here and give her something that will sustain her, help her build herself up again, and it's nice and easy for the intestines to cope with. Try it, it might just work, and as much water as she can take. I do hope you don't have to take another trip to the vets tomorrow,poor little girl.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Hows Jess today?

Good news with Kody

Yesterday he was begining to become a little brighter but obviously looked very weak from it all. I couldn't get him to eat hardly much at all of anything like rice etc so I started him back on his usual food as 2 - 3 days without food and 2 days with just a very small amount I felt was going to take it's toll at this point more than anything.

He was begging at Keena's meal times so I decided to put together some of thier regular food for him and with no suprise he really wanted that. I gave it to him at 200g a time throughout the day till he had gotten to his regular amount and he wasn't sick, I can't say I noticed him having anymore diareoh after but it was dark so he may well have done but still at least he wasn't sick and is keeping his food down nicely. As a result of eating his energy picked up and he was actually pritty much back to his old self last night and we took them both out for a short walk which I felt he was ready for and he loved it.

He isn't 100% and still slept in the crate last night incase of any accidents but has made a vast improvement so I will continue with his regular food within reason at small quantities throughout the day again.

I'm begining to think that switching mine over to rice and grains etc when they are usually raw fed isn't worth it as they are allien to their system if I can get them to eat them at all.

The problem with continuing to feed raw in my opinion isn't the fact that it is harder to digest because raw meat is one of the easiest things for dogs to digest and it is approx 95% completly digestable (very little waste) What I think is the issue is that any of the ordinary bacteria's that may be pressent which would not normally affect a healthy dog in the slightest may be a risk while they are already poorly.

So if Takoda hadn't have done well yesterday instead of trying to feed rice etc I would have cooked up some lean cuts of meat (chicken breast etc, fattier cuts may obviously be a problem while they have a sensitive tummy) white fish like Helena & mini mentioned and fed those with scrambled egg etc (all the things he usually gets, except leaner cuts and cooked to eliminate bacteria and without the bone)...The other thing I was going to do was start mixing in a half teaspoon full of washed then dried and ground egg shell powder a day for every 1 pound of food to substitute the calcium he wouldn't be getting from the rmb's.

For me putting him back on to what is almost his usual diet worked with the logic being that it's what he is used to and when they are on most other things such as rice etc the waste is almost the same amount as what goes in and doesn't help slow up the diareoh once they have it, the waste from his regular diet is tiny in comparison and may help to firm him back up.

Lets hope he is over it now bless him

Fingers crossed for Jess
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Aw bless you Mys you're really thinking it through for Kody. I was going to suggest just lightly cooking his meat if he isn't doing so well with raw but you're already there . Great news that the beautiful boy seems on the mend.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes, that's brilliant news Mys. coz he's been suffering too long with this, you must have been very, very worried about him I'm sure. I totally agree with you about getting back to their normal food a.s.a.p. and my vet has always told me this when Cassie's been poorly although, like you say, when they're really bad I always start introducing the fish bit and then some boiled chicken and rice which is easy for them. Let's hope whatever it was Kody had will not affect Keena, coz you can't go through all that worry again. Really pleased he's on the up now.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-12-2006, 05:01 PM
really really glad to hear your baby is feeling better now and hope the improvement continues.
Cariad and Maelona send him big hugs and waggy tails.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Something definately was in the air. Poor Kody & Jess, hope this is the sign of the end for you both.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks guys Kody is back to normal now within a day of being almost back to his usual diet his diareoh also stopped and he continued to gain strengh and is now full of life once again After seeing Keena through her illness at the begining of 05 I was alot more confident this time round with Kody and though he was bad he was not as bad as she was back then thankfully. This was the first time Kody has ever been poorly or even sick more than once so It's great seeing him back to normal again...Thanks for thinking of him
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Any news on Jess?
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2006, 04:56 PM
HI everyone.

Mys, im very pleased to hear Kody is back to normal that is great news!

Jess still isnt brillient.

I thought she was well on the mend yesterday, she was bright and bouncy, still very sleepy though, but I put that down to her meds.

Her poo has been very sloppy still, yet I thought it has getting better than it was,
Yet yesterday evening she was sick again, only once but alot.

She has not been sick since, and seems quite playfull today, she is wanting to go walks again and biting me in play, so she seems back to her old self again, she has even lost 2 puppy teeth in the last 2 days!

Im hoping that the last bout of sickness was her getting the last of the nasty bug out of her system.

Fingers crossed!

It seems like im getting my naughty puppy back so I will keep you posted!

Kye xxx

Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >