Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by K1nS View Post
Im glad ive come across this thread, I was wondering the same with Sadie. Although when I register her at a new vet for getting her spayed, im assuming I will have to have another booster for her as I don't have any proof she has had any jabs after that though I think ill stay away
There is a test (titre test) to check if there are antibodies already in the blood. If you have no history I would ask the vet to test first. Or the vet will repeat the initial vax.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
a point to add is where I lived until recently there used to be a parvo outbreak approx every 8month or so and the only dog who contracted it and died were the un-vaccinated ones
Yup, this is a good point wildmoor, and the one real worry that I have for my boys being unvaccinated yearly.

I have made the decision though that the chances of them contracting parvo is far less than the risk of anaphylactic shock from the boosters each year. I hope I never live to regret this decision, but that's what I have decided. If I lived in a town, I would definitely vaccinate, but living where we do, I'll take my chances.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
There is a test (titre test) to check if there are antibodies already in the blood. If you have no history I would ask the vet to test first. Or the vet will repeat the initial vax.
I researched this not that long ago, spoke to several different professionals as well, and the conclusion was that they are not accurate as testing at different times can give you different results.

I guess it's a risk one way or the other.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
But have you come across any that have suffered from not having annual boosters?
Personally, yes.
Last month my friend had to have his dog PTS because she had contracted leptospirosis - she was not vaccinated.

This year is the first time my lot are overdue with their boosters (they were due for Lepto and PI) and I have no intention, as yet, to have them vaccinated any more.

When Flynn had his initial puppy jab at 6 weeks old, he was already quite an ill puppy and when I brought him home at 8 weeks, he was a very ill puppy and spent 3 days in isolation on a drip - I thought he was going to die. Now he suffers with very itchy skin, always has done and i'm not entirely convinced his allergies havent stemmed from him being vaccinated, especially when his immune system was low. He also suffers with semi collapses and personally, I dont want to take the risk of exacerbating this problem by continuing to vaccinate. For all I know, the two could be related but I doubt my vet would ever agree with me.

All my dogs are fit and healthy and are rarely, if ever, ill so I have every faith their bodies can fight off anything they might contract, without the need for their immune system to be artificially boosted.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Wozzy View Post
Personally, yes.
Last month my friend had to have his dog PTS because she had contracted leptospirosis - she was not vaccinated.

This year is the first time my lot are overdue with their boosters (they were due for Lepto and PI) and I have no intention, as yet, to have them vaccinated any more.

When Flynn had his initial puppy jab at 6 weeks old, he was already quite an ill puppy and when I brought him home at 8 weeks, he was a very ill puppy and spent 3 days in isolation on a drip - I thought he was going to die. Now he suffers with very itchy skin, always has done and i'm not entirely convinced his allergies havent stemmed from him being vaccinated, especially when his immune system was low. He also suffers with semi collapses and personally, I dont want to take the risk of exacerbating this problem by continuing to vaccinate. For all I know, the two could be related but I doubt my vet would ever agree with me.

All my dogs are fit and healthy and are rarely, if ever, ill so I have every faith their bodies can fight off anything they might contract, without the need for their immune system to be artificially boosted.
The lepto vaccine does not cover all strains and of those it does cover its only lasts 3-6 months. So for 6-9 months they are not covered anyway. Lepto is the vaccine most likely to cause a bad reaction too.
Allergies often are caused by vaccination and it usually starts up within a few weeks of a booster vaccine.
If you go to your vets with allergy problems though your vet is highly unlikely to look at the timing of the last booster to the onset of allergy problems.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Not reliable at all.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2012, 05:39 PM
If you use boarding kennels you don't have a choice. But I've read that most of the vaccinations are effective for much longer than the year between boosters and some not necessary at all depending on the region you live in. As for problems arising from vaccinations - I do believe some skin problems (including growths and tumours) can arise on the vaccination site.

*my little minpin has a tiny white fur patch on the site of one of hers?
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-11-2012, 07:44 PM
most Lepto vacines last year only the Vanguard one is unknown

re allergies in my breed it as a genetic basis
only one I have had with severe adverse reactions had an ancestor who was a known producer, his allergies started 51 weeks after his last booster and he was raw raised/fed
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
most Lepto vacines last year only the Vanguard one is unknown

re allergies in my breed it as a genetic basis
only one I have had with severe adverse reactions had an ancestor who was a known producer, his allergies started 51 weeks after his last booster and he was raw raised/fed
All Lepto vaccines are advised to be redone yearly, this is purely because the disease does not illicit titres at all and no measure of triggered immunity can be measured even in the short term. (As you would with say Rabies)
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Thank you for an open minded and intelligent thread; so many here in Ireland just do whatever they are told re vaccines, wormers, flea stuff and there are far too many chemicals for safety.

My cats and dogs are not vaccinated. The cats came with enteritis anyways. from a very bad cattery.

I live away from folk and mostly away from any dogs or cats. Certainly the dogs never see another critter. There are feral cats everywhere in ireland but they seem to respect mine after a few blood curdling screams and I feed them away from the house.

The cost would be beyond me and after several bad experiences with vets, especially re the collie here...
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >