View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I am so sorry for what has happen. Don't feel bad for leaving them all together. I leave my four in the kitchen behind a stair gate and never give it a second thought.

xxx
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
Thankyou Tassle. xxx
Don't beat yourself up darling, all of us are or would be very vigilant about leaving children alone with dogs, but how many of us feel the same way about dogs? My daughter's little chihuahua spends hours in the conservatory with the big boys after muddy walks drying off on towels and underfloor heating (I know, I know ), so you have done NOTHING that any of us haven't done hundreds of times.

My gut feeling is there is something wrong here - it is pretty rare for a male to attack a female, let alone to such an extent. We had a lovely rottie collie cross in the village who badly savaged Hal many years ago, and bless the poor sweet girl, she had a brain tumour. The vet said the pain must have driven her to distraction and resulted in sudden and unprecedented attacks when the pain got too bad. It would be an exceptionally good idea to have your lurcher checked out for such illnesses/disorders.

I wish you every good wish to get you over this awful event Zoe, but please do not blame yourself, it is NOT your fault hun
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about this.

I agree with what others have said re dogs being dogs. On occasions one of our dogs have yelped after hurting themselves and it can trigger one or more of the others to attack. First thing we do if any of the dogs are hurt its send the others out the way.

It could easily have been as simple as Danny reacting to a yelp from Bessie. Just pure instinct.

It could happen to any of us that keep two or more dogs x
Weakness of any type can trigger an attack. When we first got Ben, he would snivel in the corner of the bedroom, frantically putting his tongue in and out, and once or twice it triggered a firm put down from Tai - I can't call it an attack, because there was no blood, no teeth, just a firm squashing. It is horrible, but dogs are animals, red in tooth and claw, not extensions of our human psyche, and these things do happen. Personally, my gut feeling is something is wrong, but I may be entirely off centre. Either way, it is a terrible and tragic accident and my heart goes out to Zoe, her dogs and her family and of course the poor collie.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Oh my I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through.

Just sending you huge (((hugs)))
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 08:59 PM
God I am so sorry. I can't say anything to make you feel better at all but I am thinking of you. xx
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:08 PM
I am so so sorry, I can't imagine how shocked and upset you must be.

I have always left my dogs together unattended as I am sure many people do. you just never think something like this could happen, it wasn't your fault.

I think only time will tell how you feel about Danny and if you feel relaxed with him around the other dogs or not. I don't think anyone would blame you if you didn't feel able to cope with him, but it does also help to remember not to attribute 'human' values onto him either (although easier said than done)

I would definitely get him checked by the vet too.

Just don't know what else to say, you must be in bits.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Poor Bessie. Is it possible she had some type of fit or something that may of triggered it?

If it were me, Im afraid Id have Danny PTS.
I agree with Dawn.

Dogs will often try to kill a fitting dog.

I cant see how you could live with this dog now, & it would be irressponsible to pass him onto others
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:22 PM
So sorry to see this

A few years ago we had a dog that aged around 10 started to become aggressive. He bit me and my OH a few times. We let it go thinking we had disturbed him or something. We then went away for a weekend and he attacked our friend who was looking after them and our other dog that he had lived with all his life. He was pts and the vet said he was certain it was a brain tumour
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
We both still love Danny dearly but what do you guys think we should do?
The only advice I could give is please take your time about how to deal with this, please no 'knee jerk' reactions.

There's so many things that could have triggered Danny to do this. I know that our Bara could, if she so wished, kill another dog, she has it in her to do so, but we have only one other dog and she is so submissive that Bara has never really had a serious fight with her.

I know I'll be lampooned for saying this but it could (sort of) been an accident, Danny may have been really trying to discipline Bessie and just caught a major artery in her neck, dogs don't know about these things do they A bite on her shoulder and she'd still be with you, a bite on the neck and she's gone.

So very very sad, I send deep condolances to you both, please think long and hard as to the future. I'm sure you'll do the right thing.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:26 PM
As a lot of others have said, this was something that has happened within your own dogs, so there is no external pressure you have time to sit back and think. I would definitely get Danny checked over by the vet to see if they think there is a medical reason, if you are certain it is him that has attacked (as best as you ever could be).

Then look at whether you can manage this within your house etc and then what will you do outside on walks etc, and give it a few days or more to settle and almost watch and wait to see how he is, what if any effect it has had on him.

I wouldnt rush into putting him to sleep as may be felt necessary if it was someones elses dog, the pressure will not be put on you the same.

You obviously dont want anything like it to happen again, but it may be that you can put precautions in place that are fully suitable, a few days and time may help.

big hugs what an awful thing to discover.
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 21 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »