View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 03:00 PM
You are all talking about the dogs from other countrues coming here but what about just sending funds. The majority of our funds go to help dogs here in our own country, but our founder has Spannish hounds of her own & we occassionally send money to an English friend in Spain who runs a rescue there, not to bring the dogs here but to help her when she can't pay her food or vet bill. I feel we should help our dogs first BUT when you see a friend in trouble do you say well hard luck you shouldn't live where you do or do you help because they are all dogs?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I know this is a touchy subject & i don't want to open up a whole new debate BUT the plight of all these unwanted dogs, overcrowded rescue centres & far, far too many cases of euthanasia, is the reason why I always encourage people to first look at getting a rescue dog. As can be seen from this thread, not only would you be helping that one rescue dog, but you are allowing the rescue to take in another dog.
Totaly agree, every pup born takes a space in a home away
Every person who pays a less than ethical breeder for a puppy enables them to breed the next litter
everyone who thinks their b!tch needs to have one litter to 'calm her down' takes away a chance from another dog

Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Would money be better spent neutering the stray population (free ranging feral dogs) in other countries? Like what cats protection do with ferals.

Adam
Yes I am sure a program of that would also be good. I know the charity I got Mia from does neuter
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Absolutely agree PTS is not the worst that can happen and yes money may well be better spent humanely euthanising, I just don't see why it's up to this country to provide the money or clear up the worlds problems.
Because we are part of the world and can hopefully set a good example.

I have a friend who moved over to Spain - she does LOADS of rescuing/rehoming over there and she is fighting a culture who do not always have the animals welfare at heart, she is trying to educate as well, but she got that from being in this country first and learning about respect for the animals over here.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Can you tell me how many other countries take our dogs? What makes you think we should be responsible for other countries?
'We' don't have to be responsible. Those of us who want to can be and those who only want to give to dogs who happen to be born here can do that.

As I have said I have HUGE admiration for Many Tears rescue and others who get up and DO something for what they believe in.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 03:46 PM
I do think its nice to help any unwanted animal where ever it was born or raised - however I cant help but feel we have a big enough problem here with out adding more unwanted pets needing homes. The dogs stuck in rescue shelters across the UK seem to have very slim chances of 'all' finding forever new homes, many are pts. I fail to see how bringing in more that also need new homes is the responsible thing to do
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 03:53 PM
So you don't think Many Tears are doing the right thing?

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Greek Animal Rescue run neutering programmes, as do many other organisations.

I donate to WSPA who also run world-wide campaigns. Do we resign ourselves to the extinction of tigers because they don`t live in England? Do we allow the people and animals sticken by natural disasters to die because it`s not in our backyard?
The world is no longer a collection of separate countries. We are all linked.
Look at where your food comes from. Your clothes. Where will your next holiday be? Even the forum you are on is one accessed globally.

The real problem is not the tiny percentage of dogs coming in from abroad, but the puppy farms churning out animals in this country. The woman down the road who wants a new handbag so breeds her oodle to a uggle and flogs the pups on freecycle.
Wrong target.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Would money be better spent neutering the stray population (free ranging feral dogs) in other countries? Like what cats protection do with ferals.

Adam
The Soi Dog Foundation do just that in Thailand. They do rehome some abroad, but the new owner pays all the costs.

They came to prominence just after the Boxing Day tsunami in the Far East. They have now grown & have neutered over 30,000 dogs & cats & have clinics & compounds so that sick dogs/cats can be treated etc. The Thai people are Buddhists & as such do not kill animals directly, however some do leave out poisoned food & leave it the animals to decide if they eat it.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The Soi Dog Foundation do just that in Thailand. They do rehome some abroad, but the new owner pays all the costs.

They came to prominence just after the Boxing Day tsunami in the Far East. They have now grown & have neutered over 30,000 dogs & cats & have clinics & compounds so that sick dogs/cats can be treated etc. The Thai people are Buddhists & as such do not kill animals directly, however some do leave out poisoned food & leave it the animals to decide if they eat it.
We helped a lady rehome a dog she had brought back from Thailand after she had been out there 2 years working with the rescue /feral dogs.

She had managed to find a vet who would pts - but the animal did have to be in a very bad way first
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Dogs Trust take a lot of dogs from Ireland, my lurcher was picked up in Ireland by DAWG and then sent to Dogs Trust here. The rescue i am involved in takes the majority of their dogs from Ireland, often not spayed or vaxed by the rescues in Ireland, no have to say i'm not entirely in agreement with it either, theres enough dogs here that need homes. And as others have said if we keep bailing them out then they will never bother to run things properly themselves because they know they can offload.

The last dog i fostered was shipped over from Ireland - i feel a bit of a hypocrite but i don't want to upset people at the rescue so i just keep quiet.
Page 6 of 18 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »