View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TazJas
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2013, 12:46 PM
I agree that you should be able to take bones etc away from dogs, due to various reasons, as already mentioned in previous posts, and ideally like TW says this should be started by the breeders of the puppy. Otherwise say if a dog has never had food removed and for say an emergency (Fire or the owner having had an accident) a person might have to take the bone or move the dog, nobody could predict how that dog would react.
Just seems common sense to train dogs to safely live alongside us unpredictable humans
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Fluff,I totally agree with you.Think that small percentage of doubt is a good thing, vital even.Someday Mika may react differently,who knows?As dog owners I think it's our responsibility to be aware of the possibility no matter how laid back or trustworthy are dog is....keeps us on our toes
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by FluffHippo View Post
As I have mentioned before(somewhere) dogs go for Mika because of the way he looks. It happens every day, a dog and owner will come up to Mika and the owners will ask if he's friendly, I reply yes, they will then tell me theirs is friendly wouldn't hurt a fly blah blah blah and the next second the dog is going for Mika. Thankfully Mika is used to and expects it now but never retaliates. My point is, is that an owner always thinks they can trust their dog 100% but Mika will prove them wrong. I only trust Mika 99% because one day he may get cheesed off and bite back.

I am totally sympathetic with this Fluff! I see you have Mals - I have mal crosses, very wolfie looking, and they frequently get barked at, undeservedly, by a lot of other dogs. Problem is that Ben will usually go back at them, unless they are bitches. I agree totally that you only trust Mika 99%, Mals can have a very short fuse with other males, and indeed the bitches can be likewise with other bitches.
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I am totally sympathetic with this Fluff! I see you have Mals - I have mal crosses, very wolfie looking, and they frequently get barked at, undeservedly, by a lot of other dogs. Problem is that Ben will usually go back at them, unless they are bitches. I agree totally that you only trust Mika 99%, Mals can have a very short fuse with other males, and indeed the bitches can be likewise with other bitches.
Just tried to pm you but it doesn't work
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-08-2013, 04:58 PM
You can't pm now unless you are a paid supporter.
However there is something called a Direct Thread which means you can contact someone without it going on the forum.
Dog Forum
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
You can't pm now unless you are a paid supporter.
However there is something called a Direct Thread which means you can contact someone without it going on the forum.
Dog Forum
Nope still didn't work. Not to worry, wasn't important
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Must admit, I also think its important to take things, but it depends on how it's done.

I dont like the idea of taking something 'because you can', like these people who pick up the bowl for no reason then put it back.
I think it encourages aggression.

That said, I often stroke and fuss over Penelope when she's eating, sometimes I push my hand under her mouth to interrupt her eating but only to add treats.
I have once or twice taken her bowl off her when I forgot to add something so it comes back with better stuff.

She is also used to my son hugging and kissing her while she's chewing on a toy. She either snuggles up or ignores him and carries on chewing.

I have had to take things off her, like stones and twigs and she has never argued.
I would be horrified if she did because in an emergency I may need to remove something quickly.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2013, 05:09 AM
I will do "swapsies" with Pereg when I know she has had a large bone for long enough and yet she does not want to just give it up. The "swapsie" is just a tiny special treat, about the size of my little finger name.

I would far rather know that I can take something, anything, from Pereg if necessary, than risk not being able to take something that might be choking her.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2013, 10:36 AM
I too feel that it is important to teach dogs to accept having things taken from them and removed from their mouths.

I had to, on several occasions remove cooked chicken carcasses and mouldy buns from my dogs' mouths - none of the offending articles originated from our household. The carcasses were found - one in a street behind a waste bin, some in recreational fields after weekend picnics. The mouldy bun probably was dropped into the garden by a squirrel (I've witnessed squirrels dropping all sorts of bread and buns in my garden.)

So I probably saved my dogs' lives, or at least saved them from pain and operations.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Laurabehjet View Post
Must admit, I also think its important to take things, but it depends on how it's done.

I dont like the idea of taking something 'because you can', like these people who pick up the bowl for no reason then put it back.
I think it encourages aggression.
In a situation where the dog's life might depend on you to remove the item quickly - it is 'because I can!'
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >