Female 

25-02-2008, 03:26 PM
my lot are in semi hybernation mode,,,yes its raining here
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Lynne please don't be hard on yourself because everyone who has owned a dog has had to learn something new at one time.

Just ask Shona what I was like when I first got Skye the Rottie.

I spent weeks trying to get that stubborn cow to go in the down position next to the dobes, but I was trying to train in the same way I do my dobes and it just wasn't working for either of us.

Now I have got to use reverse sociology on her and let her think that she is top top even though she isn't. So rather than me getting them to go down in order of rank, I have to do it in reverse.

Just remember life is one big learning curve.
Colin don't you think it's all about listening and taking it in,then taking it home and putting it all into practise.Also taking him out more often and mot hiding him away from other dogs,xxxxxx
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
Colin don't you think it's all about listening and taking it in,then taking it home and putting it all into practise.Also taking him out more often and mot hiding him away from other dogs,xxxxxx
Your spot on there Lorraine. Practise makes perfect.

The more Lynne takes Ben out the more comfortable he is going to feel around other dogs regardless of their size and energy levels.

The only real advice that she should remember is not to expect him to pick up everything all in one go. It takes time, like everything in life. If it's worth doing then do it properly.

She has got to start to become confident in front of Ben and to let him know that she is his protector and not the other way around.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Your spot on there Lorraine. Practise makes perfect.

The more Lynne takes Ben out the more comfortable he is going to feel around other dogs regardless of their size and energy levels.

The only real advice that she should remember is not to expect him to pick up everything all in one go. It takes time, like everything in life. If it's worth doing then do it properly.

She has got to start to become confident in front of Ben and to let him know that she is his protector and not the other way around.
Totally agree there Colin,I have seen people go to classes working with their dog.Then go home and think it's ok to have the dog do it's stuff in the house and don't take the dog out into the big wide world.xxxxxxxxxx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 04:32 PM
all of the above is where lynne is on a winner, she had so much to take in on sat, but via this thread and pms to myself im amazed that she didnt miss anything, x
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
all of the above is where lynne is on a winner, she had so much to take in on sat, but via this thread and pms to myself im amazed that she didnt miss anything, x
If only all your students took heed and did the same,

Well done Lynne,xxxxxxxx
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks guys. I think both Ben and I have lots of learning to do but at least now the learning can be fun.

And I am definitely less apprehensive which has to be a good thing. I think one important thing that reassured me apart from obviously seeing Ben behave around other dogs was me always worrying about what to do if he did actually get into a serious fight, how I would react what I should do etc etc. Now hopefully that is never going to happen but as Shona pointed out on Saturday if it does happen theres no point in freaking out about it, its happening so deal with it, and I got some good tips on how to do that. Though I am pretty sure that with more exposure to other dogs and situations then he's gonna be as good with dogs as he is with people and I'm Sure Shona, Boobah and Denis would all agree he's a definite people dog (must be the demon people eating staffy in him )
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Thanks guys. I think both Ben and I have lots of learning to do but at least now the learning can be fun.

And I am definitely less apprehensive which has to be a good thing. I think one important thing that reassured me apart from obviously seeing Ben behave around other dogs was me always worrying about what to do if he did actually get into a serious fight, how I would react what I should do etc etc. Now hopefully that is never going to happen but as Shona pointed out on Saturday if it does happen theres no point in freaking out about it, its happening so deal with it, and I got some good tips on how to do that. Though I am pretty sure that with more exposure to other dogs and situations then he's gonna be as good with dogs as he is with people and I'm Sure Shona, Boobah and Denis would all agree he's a definite people dog (must be the demon people eating staffy in him )

bahahahahahaha Bens a babe x
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Just back from a wander round the park, am trying to take him to park more often just now so he can meet or at least see more dogs.

We are now going looking for dogs rather than turning heel and exiting quickly

Anyway we saw a man with a lovely GSD who was on leaad as was Ben we started to walk towards him and the man shouted "he's not very good with other dogs would you mind...." I just said no worries and cut down the side of the play park, Ben was certainly interested but no pulling on lead and was listening to me

We then met a very bouncy happy ESS who bounded towards Ben at a rate of knots whilst ignoring his owner completely Ben was wary and stiffened up but nop growl and no pulling and no lunging (this time as soon as he foccussed on my voice rather than the fast approaching bullet I took out his new toy (Ben says thanks Shona ) a tug ball and started to play with him with that the other dog stayed about 1 m away and Ben was more interested in tug ball than dog - SUCCESS!! We carried on round park to meet a very barky snappy JRT and same again and we walked past with no incident. Then on route home we met a westie come out of one of the houses (am sure it is the same one I pmd Shona about last night and as soon as Ben began to stiffen (or at least as soon as I noticed it!!) I firmly said no, he looked at me and walked past without any incident he did look back once but no pulling to follow or similar.

I have to say I did get slightly tense when I saw the Westie but conciously did not tighten the lead so I guess me and Ben definitely both learning but so far the improvement is fantastic. I don't feel sick when I see another dog which was happening before
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Fantastic Lynne you're well on the road to success.
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >