View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miranda Luck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2010, 08:25 AM
I've a greyhound too! Tex is a 10 year old we adopted in March. He has secondary cancer on his chest so we are making sure he has a spoilt rotten time with us!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Humm.....
1st - private rehome - (BC)
2nd - pup who was returned to the breeder (BC)
3rd - pup from accidental litter (BCx)
4th - private rehome (Gundog x)
5th - Private rehome (GSD x)
6th - Fantastic breeder (BC)
7th - Left over puppy farm pup (CsVx)

ETA - have had various rescued Ratties
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 08:27 AM
I don't even think we told them? She was my mums dog and it was 12 years ago.
We did everything for them and found them homes, we kept in contact with them for a few months apart from one who we had contact with all his life as she was a friend of my mums, he had the fantastic temperament that my lad Sam has, and he was so loved, unfortunately she lost him to cancer only a few months after we lost Abbie.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 08:38 AM
I have had 4 dogs from excellent breeders and 3 rehome dogs (currently have 1 breeder and 2 rehomes)

I have a rescue degu

17 rescue rats and 30 breeder rats

3 hens from breeders

1 rescue gerbil

2 hedgehogs from breeders

1 mouse from a pet shop

In the past I have had rescue bunnies and guinea pigs and spiny mice too.
Miranda Luck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
I have had 4 dogs from excellent breeders and 3 rehome dogs (currently have 1 breeder and 2 rehomes)

I have a rescue degu

17 rescue rats and 30 breeder rats

3 hens from breeders

1 rescue gerbil

2 hedgehogs from breeders

1 mouse from a pet shop

In the past I have had rescue bunnies and guinea pigs and spiny mice too.
Hedgehogs from breeders??? Is this common?!?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 09:41 AM
99.9% of my pets have been rescues, or "second hand" of some sort. As far as I can remember, I've only bought a few rats from breeders (and been 'gifted' a few by friends who breed) but the rat fancy is quite different to a lot of the various animal fancies - the ethics/standards of breeders are set quite high and I tend to feel lots of them are in it to improve the species rather than for personal gain.
My closest to getting a dog from a breeder was my previous GSD. She was bought by a relative's boyfriend from a Loot magazine but the resident dog didn't get along with her. We had her from about 8 or 9 weeks old - unfortunately her bad breeding became apparently quite quickly, she had lots of mental quirks but also had the worst hip dysplasia my vet had seen and we had her put down just aged 4 as she could barely walk, started snapping even at me (who knew how to judge her from her behaviour, body language, etc. so knew when to give her some distance) and just wasn't a suitable candidate for hip replacement. It was gutting and if I ever went to a breeder I would research them so thoroughly so I didn't inadvertently support breeding like that. I'm not against breeding, infact I think we need to support good breeders, but they seem to be the minority compared to BYBs
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 09:49 AM
hi,

Whilst growing up we had both rescue dogs and those bought from breeders.

Since being an adult and deciding for myself what dogs would come to live with us, I've had two from breeders, 2 private rehomes and the rest have been from rescues (one of those made me a failed fosterer).

We've also had other animals and now have 2 guinea pigs (one a rehome, the other a rescue) and a syrian hamster (bought as a baby from a breeder).

Laura xx
Miranda Luck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
I have a retired greyhound Kym aged 6 i adopted 2 years ago and a lurcher Bella 3,whom i adopted in January, what about yourself ?
4 at the moment but many more in the past!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Miranda Luck View Post
4 at the moment but many more in the past!
Hi again, forgot to say i am due my first foster next week, i foster for a Surrey based Lurcher/Greyhound rescue
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 12:26 PM
All of the pets I've ever had myself (outside of my parents) have been rescues. Starting with Three Rabbits, then Phillip, a shetland sheepdog I adopted when he was 8 years old. Then I found Mocha who was a pregnant stray. Ended up keeping one of her kittens as well. (Both have now gone to the bridge) Then found Kobie (cat) as a stray who had been hit by a car. He was the best cat ever. Passed away in June. Moxie I adopted from an animal shelter on her last day, she was due to be put to sleep that night at closing. Moxie IS the best dog ever. Sully was dumped at my work with a severely injured leg. Ninja was brought to us as a 3 day old orphan that I hand raised and kept (after Kobie passed away).

All plans I have ever made to get a puppy from a breeder have fallen through. I think its fate that I rescue. In fact, I've not gone looking for any of my pets. They've all come to me in one way or another.

(BTW, before you think I'm a hoarder, my current count is 1 dog, Moxie, and two cats, Sully and Ninja.)
Page 6 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »