View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2007, 07:01 PM
I am a Vet Nurse and i have to say that regardless of what enquiry you may take, there is an unwritten rule of professionalism, regardless of how you feel about something you are there to give advice, to listen and to explain to the caller/client the options open to them. We have Hungarian Vizslas, and i would dock the puppies. When docking wasnt such a 'hot' subject i have held many pups over the years whilst their tails/dew claws have been removed and have rarely heard anything other than a squeak, if that. Believe me, an adult dog with a tail that continually bursts at the end and results in an amputation and all the complications that come with that...IS painful. We would be happy to allow the people who wish a Wire Viz pup the choice of whether the pup is to be docked or not..but it seems that our choice to dock or not has been taken away from us.

I have had to deal with clients over the years that ask ridiculous questions and dont do what is best for the animal, but you have to learn to deal with them in a way that means that they will listen to the sensible advice you will hopefully give them.

We arent there to judge, we are there to do what we can for the animals and help the clients achieve that...sure we all have times when we go through the back and stomp our feet or want to scream..but its always worth bearing in mind that these clients pay our salaries!
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
in my opinon education is everything therefore mabe the way you came across wasnt right (fuming) but the point you had was.
and any vet who would agree to dock a tail just for show reasons (this doesnt include dogs who will actually be used for working where their tail could cause them more harm) shouldnt be a vet in the 1st place
ATD xxx
yes,but at the mo it is still legal to dock tails at the vets approvel.
unfortunatly dogs are just a fashion accessorie 2 sum people
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 07:51 PM
good post abbey
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Sorry but I don't agree.
If you hold a position such as a vet or veterinary staff. It is not your job to make personal statements if you don't agree with something. However you feel about docking.
Got to disagree with that. Yes, one needs to be professional, but also to remain human. When I speak to my vet, doctor, bank manager (whatever) I like to feel that I'm speaking to a person, not a robot. I might not always like what they have to say, but if I'm big enough to ask the question, I'm big enough to take the answer. The original poster was clearly stating the professional opinion of the practice she works for. It conflicts with the feelings of many people on here, but that doesn't mean it's against the ethos of her place of work. If you don't like it, you don't have to use that surgery.

I'm a bit confused why somebody commending the docking ban gets told off for going off topic, when half the people on here had already stated their displeasure in it without any reproach. I know this thread may not be the place to give off about tail-docking, but i don't see why it's any more acceptable to give off about the ban. If you want to give one side of an argument, you'd better be prepared to have the other side join in
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by cc22peatree View Post
wot i ment is i could see why she was angry with the woman,but yes,your rite,it was unprofessional to talk to a potental client like that.
not only that but it could give the vets a bad name,word gets around
Or it will bring in new clients who are opposed to docking and would like to be with one who speaks out against it loud and proud
When I moved here I interviewed all the vets in the area to see which were best for my crew. Their stance on docking was one of the questions on the initial questionaire. The more vocal they were against it the more points they scored :smt001
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
I am a Vet Nurse and i have to say that regardless of what enquiry you may take, there is an unwritten rule of professionalism, regardless of how you feel about something you are there to give advice, to listen and to explain to the caller/client the options open to them. We have Hungarian Vizslas, and i would dock the puppies. When docking wasnt such a 'hot' subject i have held many pups over the years whilst their tails/dew claws have been removed and have rarely heard anything other than a squeak, if that. Believe me, an adult dog with a tail that continually bursts at the end and results in an amputation and all the complications that come with that...IS painful. We would be happy to allow the people who wish a Wire Viz pup the choice of whether the pup is to be docked or not..but it seems that our choice to dock or not has been taken away from us.

I have had to deal with clients over the years that ask ridiculous questions and dont do what is best for the animal, but you have to learn to deal with them in a way that means that they will listen to the sensible advice you will hopefully give them.

We arent there to judge, we are there to do what we can for the animals and help the clients achieve that...sure we all have times when we go through the back and stomp our feet or want to scream..but its always worth bearing in mind that these clients pay our salaries!
I like to hear other sides of the story and you as a Vet nurse....well it gives weight and substance to a hotly debated subject.

I am on the fence regarding the ban on docking, I can see the benefits to some breeds, but regard the customary cosmetic docking as being unnecessary and as such have Dobes with tails. Willows litter were also undocked.

I don't see why docking should be an automatic assumption that because its X or Y breed it should be docked.

I feel the KC should have taken steps many years ago to promote certain breeds with tails and could have possibly prevented the law ever becoming to fruition as it may have been deemed redundant, but we now have this blanket ban covering all and sundry.

Shame really, it could have been so different.
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2007, 09:29 PM
I think when you work within a profession that is a caring profession, there are times when your personal beliefs have to take a back seat, by all means, yes, quote 'practice policy' but when potential clients are faced with a tirade of the rights and wrongs, all this does is alienate. I personally think that all breeds except the likes of your working Gundogs SHOULD remain undocked..this is NOT about the dog being a fashion accessory..this is about the dog's health and safety. HPRs often work in heavy undergrowth and a long whippy tail (as Vizslas have) is prone to damage...why, if there is an option, allow them to go through the pain and suffering of a torn tail that will not heal?? I know times at work i see things or hear things that i dont agree with, but unless someone was to ask what my personal opinion was..i wouldnt say anything.

Edited to say, i would not be ok with anything that i thought caused pain or suffering, but as i said before i have held many, many litters of pups and most barely whimper..if this act of docking was such a hideous and painful procedure, do you honestly beleive that we as trained animal carers would be ok with helping with docking/dew clawing? I, for example, will no clip parrots wings, i have been involved in parrot rescue for the past 11y and will not be aparty to the mutilation of wings..this procedure DOES cause pain and suffering during and after the clip. So for anyone that believes that we carry on blindly allowing cruelty to continue are wrong.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by BC's Forever View Post
imo its a totally unecessary practice and the sooner the ban it for good the better.
Just voicing my opinion
I totally agree :smt001
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 09:46 PM
as i live in the country docking is something atleast one vet in each surgery(theres 5) will dock.
originally the docks that are still docked today were mostly working dogs,i got xena from a farm,yes,a rotti from a farm,there great cattle herders,so thats why she was docked,but i neva worked her.
my older sisters dobe is docked,they have 'wippy' tails,she got her from a lady who breeds for the police,a working dog breeder but he has never been worked,
if the dogs had been used for work it could be very dangerous for them to have tails.how,once the ban has come into force, will they no which pups are going to be worked or not out of different litters.
most will be pets but 1 or 2 mite be used for work purpose's.
i dont think the ban will make much of a difference to be honest,there will just be alot more idiots doing an home job.
believe it or not im not keen on docking,but i think that banning it is pointless,it wont change things.

thats just my personal opinion ofcourse
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2007, 09:54 PM
I can't see how you believe it wont change things. Basically any person with a puppy born after the 6th April that is docked will come under question, as it will be illegal apart from a few exceptions there is going to be a lot of people being done for it if they continue to do so, besides, I think the veterinary profession will just plain refuse to do it.
Becky
Page 6 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »