Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kimbastaff
Dogsey Junior

03-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Lel
there is supposed to be a link to deafness to white dogs-
dont know what the statistics are for proof of this though
This is the biggest problem with breeding whites... and white to white..... However I must stress here that it is not hereditary... and caused by having no pigment on the hair follicles in the inner ear (not seen by human eye).... you could have 100 white pups from the same parents and only get one that is deaf.... or you could get 100 that are..... its a risk... the easiest way to elimate the risk is to breed whites to colour often.... you will still get white....

Donna
kimbastaff
Dogsey Junior

03-11-2004, 10:33 AM
very interesting topic..... Here in Victoria, at a typical dog show we would have 50 dogs at a show.... the only colour that we dont see on a regular basis is Blue... We do have some judges still that are colour biased and its usually against all colours they only like blacks... but we do have blacks, brindles, reds, fawns, red & white pieds, black and white pieds, whites... whites with all other colours... and occassionally a blue..... makes for a great line up.... on my web page there is a pic of a fawn, on Moallack Black Ice's page..... he's from my black boy dooee and a brindle bitch...

Donna
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2004, 11:59 AM
No sorry Laura I didn't I was coming back from taking the kiddies to school
luxnalls
New Member!

04-11-2004, 12:57 PM
The ring is dominated by the black/black brindles but the few people who do have kennels with predominently reds or pieds are starting to make a real effort to breed 'better' dogs and bitches. As we have a smaller pool gene to pick from when breeding it is harder to keep the lines going.

As for the idea that there is an eye problem in the reds I believe that the same problem exsists in the blacks but so far two carriers have been kept apart as there is moer choice of dogs to pick from.

In my opinion the coat texture on reds and pieds is usually better than that of a brindle and Alec Waters even commented when he lasted judged that putting a red into brindle/black lines can improve coat condition. I do not know of any proof that whites are more prone to ezcema than black brindles and recenlty have noticed more and more light eyes and light nails creeping into the b/b's yet they still get placed?!?!?!?!?!

In next years annual you will see some judges complain about the lack of variation of colour in the ring yet at that same show plenty of reds or pieds enter but don't get placed!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-11-2004, 01:15 PM
Hi Luxnalls, just wanted to say welcome to Dogweb! :smt039 Why not introduce your self in the your intros section?
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

04-11-2004, 04:14 PM
i am biased but i love blue staffies..cause i have one....

but ot be honest i would love another staffie....and would take any colour....!
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2004, 04:33 PM
No good dog is a bad color" -- Max von Stephanitz
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Laura ISBT
I meant to say GOOD DOGS COME IN ALL COLOURS! [/b]
Thats what I said too Gems in a previous post of mine, I do think however that there needs to be some injection of colour into the show dogs it would be a shame to loose the beautiful colours to black or black brindle.

Incidentally if you go to any of the sporting alternative shows the variance in colour is amaznig, blues, pieds, whites, reds every colour you can think off and none seem to dominate.

Laura
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2004, 04:54 PM
I meant to say GOOD DOGS COME IN ALL COLOURS! [/b]
Thats what I said too Gems in a previous post of mine

Laura
I was was saying it again
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Maybe there is no variation in colour Laura because as they say
"Handsome is as handsome does" And the alternative showpeople think the conformation is more important than the colour ie the content more important than the wrapping :smt002

Luxanalls point however about the colour coats on reds being good is true, but the gene pool is small and again to keep the depth of colour in reds you need a black occasionaly and vice versa. :smt023 The genepool for black/brindles is vast and easy to choose from although many seem to choose the same dog.
If you look back through the years you will see lots of so called "red breeders" have blacks and vice versa. A good dog as has been said is a good dog.

Nice to see you here luxanalls :smt040 :smt039 Hello

Karen]
Page 6 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »