View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 11:31 AM
I don't show 'cos I just don't have the time that I know is needed to commit myself to it. Murph is from show lines and his breeder shows his brother and sister regularly and they both do very well.
Murph's a stunning dog and I guess he would do quite well but for us he's a lovely family dog!
I think it's great if you show and you and your dogs enjoy it.....the one time I took Murph to a fun show, he loved being with the other dogs.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 11:42 AM
You do get the odd dog that does not like it but they are not shown for long as there is no point, a dog must walk into the ring and say by his presents and attitude "here I am, aren't I just bursting with health, happiness and wellbeing" or they are not going to get anywhere you can’t show something that looks like a sack of potatos.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
You do get the odd dog that does not like it but they are not shown for long as there is no point, a dog must walk into the ring and say by his presents and attitude "here I am, aren't I just bursting with health, happiness and wellbeing" or they are not going to get anywhere you can’t show something that looks like a sack of potatos.
got one of them that can't be bothered! He loves the day out but can't be bothered with the ring.Hes on his last chance at the min...have tried a diet change and a handler change and if that doesn't work he'll be staying at home! Shmae realy because he is probably the best of my 3
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Sansorrella
Sadly, yes, the world of showing is very bitchy and competitive and a lot of people take it too seriously - for me winning is not the be all and end all as I do many different things with my dogs and showing is just part of that - I enjoy obedience, agility and heelwork to music and its all for fun and I enjoy it only if my dogs are enjoying it - the day they stop enjoying it is the day I stop.

You have hit the nail on the head there Sansorrella! When you get to the top level of showing I think they take it far too seriously and need to lighten up a bit and start enjoying it themselves instead of being so competitive. I know you have to be competitive to "win" but winning isn't always the most important part, I think the taking part should be.

As I stated in my post, the lower levels of showing (which I have even done myself at our local g.s.d. club) are great fun and nobody takes it too seriously. It's all a bit of fun for us and the dogs at this level.

I cannot show my two present dogs of course as they are long-coats, but if I did, I would only be interested in doing it for fun at local level
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Are we not generalising again? It amazes me those of you who do not show or have only been once or twice seem to know so much more about it than the people for whom showing is their main leisure activity.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm afraid your post shows how little you know about the world of dog showing.I show at 'top level 'as you put it...champ shows,Crufts etc and IT IS FUN!! We have a fun day out...people regularly throw bench parties when they make up a champ or have a birthday and everyone is pleased for everyone else when they win!...advise is freely given and the only problem we have is trying to get a word in edgewise with certain people cos we all like to talk about our dogs so much!

Originally Posted by Helena54
You have hit the nail on the head there Sansorrella! When you get to the top level of showing I think they take it far too seriously and need to lighten up a bit and start enjoying it themselves instead of being so competitive. I know you have to be competitive to "win" but winning isn't always the most important part, I think the taking part should be.

As I stated in my post, the lower levels of showing (which I have even done myself at our local g.s.d. club) are great fun and nobody takes it too seriously. It's all a bit of fun for us and the dogs at this level.

I cannot show my two present dogs of course as they are long-coats, but if I did, I would only be interested in doing it for fun at local level
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 01:03 PM
You know archer I am not sure why we are trying to persuade people that they are wrong, after all we would not want people with such a negative attitude toward quality dogs anyway
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
You know archer I am not sure why we are trying to persuade people that they are wrong, after all we would not want people with such a negative attitude toward quality dogs anyway
You're soooo right.We KNOW what its like...we're there
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-08-2005, 01:25 PM
if the dogs didn't enjoy the ring you will be wasting time,money and effort.
(any fool can buy a good show dog) theres not any people i know that would part with their dog even if some one offered to buy it off them esp if they have proved their quality in the ring.
i got holly at 8 weeks old i don't know if she has what it takes untill she has grown which for leos the frame takes about 18 months yes she comes from good lines regarding the show world for leo's but it doesn't mean she will automatically be placed in any show.
showing dogs is either some thing you enjoy and interested in or your not like any other form of working your dog.
there will always be people that take it too seriously or bitchy but then for every 1 of them theres more nice people who will help/advice/welcome you into the world of showing.
at the end of the day my dogs are my pets regardless of the ring, how many of the people that are anti showing watch crufts etc on the tv?
we are proud of the dogs and only want to show them off and the quality/nature etc whats wrong with doing that in any form.
it could be in the ring or on the street if you gets asked its the same thing.
sarah2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Thordell derogatory comments such as that really don't help your cause. They just give us people who obviously KNOW nothing even more cause to believe we are right. So your attitude towards life is anyone who sees things differently or thinks differently to you is wrong?

hmmm interesting philosophy that...................................
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »