Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
only if you assume education means 'degree'
Good one
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I didn't go to university (by choice - I am NOT academic at all, smart but not for me).

I worked my **** off from the age of 17 to a managerial level, earning £26k p.a. by the time I was 24.

I now do a much lesser paid job as a Project Manager for an animal welfare charity (having decided job satisfaction should be greater than salary), but I would not be doing this job if I hadn't got where I was at 24.

I also had the opportunity to buy a house at 22 and go travelling for two years at 28.

There are very few students who will get to do that, either before the cuts or now, but am I really worse off for not having gone to uni?

Neil and I have already discussed a uni fund for our baby, then they will have the choice (joint choice!) on either going to uni with the money or buying a house and going travelling, whichever we all decide is the best option for the child.

The cuts are hard for those approaching uni age, but in time we'll all adapt. We always do.
Agree completey, just like we will have to adapt tot he retirement age going up, the NHS crashing , amongst many other things.

The 30k mark will not be for all students in all universities, and unless you earn the required amount you won't pay it back anyway.

Maybe instead of having a care free 3 yrs at uni, they condense it to 2, or 1, then you wont have as much debt.

We will always need people going to university, they are the future of the country, but many a degree does not warrant 3yrs .... many do, its horses for courses, and as with everythign else in life, and our times, we have to adapt.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6