Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Got lots of Mal experience have you??

It's SAFER to have them leashed when on walks (they are OFF lead in the ENCLOSED area)
So keeping my dog SAFE and livestock safe is as cruel as an ecollar??

A WHIM??? yeah.. I waited 18 years to be in a position to get my first Mal so yeah it was a whim

They don't get the chance to WANT to chase livestock as we aren't near any and don't walk near any
not really probably on par with your experience at breeding boxers.

Im sure you didnt get your dog on a whim - that would be crazy , the idea probably came to you because a Malamute checked all your boxes on breed selection , or you saw one on Lost Boys - one of the two
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
no are they nice?
Just wondered as you seemed to be telling people how to deal with their Mals, though you had experience of northern spitz, some of whom can be let of the lead but many can't. There is the added problem that they are designed to run in straight lines for 30 odd miles before returning home to be fed, ok if there are no roads in the way.

Don't run away with the idea that they can't be taught recall, they can, it is just done in their own time they will always return………………….eventually.
mozzy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2008, 01:52 PM
I hope this isn't now going to turn into a debate about whether Huskies and Mals should be walked off lead etc, etc...
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Just wondered as you seemed to be telling people how to deal with their Mals, though you had experience of northern spitz, some of whom can be let of the lead but many can't. There is the added problem that they are designed to run in straight lines for 30 odd miles before returning home to be fed, ok if there are no roads in the way.

Don't run away with the idea that they can't be taught recall, they can, it is just done in their own time they will always return………………….eventually.
not telling people - thats other peoples job on these forums Pita, just actually asking questions - thanks for the heads up on some of the northern spitz breeds - they dont sounds like they are for me
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 01:53 PM
not really probably on par with your experience at breeding boxers.

Im sure you didnt get your dog on a whim - that would be crazy , the idea probably came to you because a Malamute checked all your boxes on breed selection , or you saw one on Lost Boys - one of the two
I have no experience on breeding boxers..as you well know from your friends (which actually makes EVERYTHING really clear!) BUT I also have morals and ethics and IF I wanted to breed it would be done properly and not prolifically!

The answer to that would be both.. and I didn't sit and twiddle my thumbs for those 18 years I researched and learned and talked to breeders etc..

BUT then this thread isn't about me or my choice of dog..

My dogs are kept on a lead for their safety..if they chased something it would be my fault..if they were hit by a car it would be my fault..
But yeah I would rather keep them on a lead than zap then when I felt the need rather than LIVE with the traits they are born with..
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by mozzy View Post
I hope this isn't now going to turn into a debate about whether Huskies and Mals should be walked off lead etc, etc...
well it kind of already has as sally is being made to feel like shes not understanding the breeding of her dog well enough.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:03 PM
For 3 years my CKCT has had a bigger prey drive than my staff who now aged three has just got one and my GSD has always had one in her meagre 10mths - arent we just talking about dogs wanting to chase animals here and some realising they want to do it at different times to others?
So because a malamute has these urges its happiest permanently leashed - I think that sounds as cruel as responsibly using an ecollar...isnt that just satisfying a personal whim to have a beautful dog like a malamute rather than having a breed with these bubbling breed characteristics pulling at it underneath?
NB I can see where your coming from in the second part of your post BUT...dogs feel secure with routines they are happy to live as part of the family within the family routine...obviously we all have a responsobility as dog owners to realise too that our chosen breed has needs and full filling these needs within the daily running of our familys routine is crucial for our dogs to feel happy and secure with us, imo if a malamute or husky is safer being kept on a lead then it is for the dogs benefit and would show irresponsobility to presume otherwise xx
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 02:06 PM
I have no experience on breeding boxers..as you well know from your friends (which actually makes EVERYTHING really clear!) BUT I also have morals and ethics and IF I wanted to breed it would be done properly and not prolifically!

The answer to that would be both.. and I didn't sit and twiddle my thumbs for those 18 years I researched and learned and talked to breeders etc..

BUT then this thread isn't about me or my choice of dog..

My dogs are kept on a lead for their safety..if they chased something it would be my fault..if they were hit by a car it would be my fault..
But yeah I would rather keep them on a lead than zap then when I felt the need rather than LIVE with the traits they are born with..
I dont know what you mean by my friends, im merely making my comments as you seemed to have as much input on another thread on breeders of boxers as any input I have shown in my last couple of posts on malamutes.

I only said you wanted to get a malamute because i read this somewhere

Since seeing The Lost Boys in 1988 (when I was 12) I have wanted a sled dog like Nanook.. I grew up thinking he was a husky!! It wasn’t until I had met and married Alex and had my son Ciaran that we decided to add a dog to the pack. I wanted a Rottweiler, he said “No WAY!!”, he wanted a Border Collie, I said “No Way!!”

A few days later I told him about my love of sled dogs and showed him the video of Lost Boys.. He agreed they were stunning and we decided to “go for it”

But youre right, this thread isnt about you or your choice of dog AND its not about Sally or HER CHOICE OF DOG

its about smacking - or ecollar which is worse - Sally thinks she is doin the right thing by her dog and its her choice so she has decided to use one in the past, its her choice that she has chosen the typ of dog she wants and her reasons can be no less worthy than shes seen one on her favourite kiefer Sutherland film - her every word has been scrutinised on this thread and half of what has been discussed has no more to do with the subject of the thread than the last few exchanges from either of us.

As for my friends I dont know who you mean as my circle of friends are away from forums, people I share different interests with such as football and helping raise public awareness of people suffering from degenerative diseases.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:07 PM
well it kind of already has as sally is being made to feel like shes not understanding the breeding of her dog well enough.
I don't think she understands the breeding of her dog if she feel decades (can't be precise as they are not my chosen breeds) of breeding can be cancelled out in 20yrs by adding a GSD
It is her choice to train her dog by any method she sees fit but her dog is genetically predisposed to chase and to deny this is just sticking your fingers in your ears and humming.
A dog only becomes a sheep chaser after it has chased a sheep
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:13 PM
He WAS born with it... it just takes them a a little time to realise it!!

here we go again with the old..its a Sibe x Mal X GSD but the GSD makes it trainable..What rubbish!!
So the GSD in the breed origin cannot have an influence on his ability to be trained around sheep - because that's rubbish, but the Mal and Husky in it WILL make him more likely to have bad recall and high prey-drive? Why are the mal & husky traits always seen as most influential by mal owners I wonder?
Page 59 of 64 « First < 9 49 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 > Last »