Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by bullyboy View Post
the dog was only stressed as someone was standing up to it for the first time cant see where that is wrong
how many people have made a dog stressed and frightened when teaching them agility because of the tunnel and sea saw ect
What are we talking about now the ACD?

In which case i agree. but equally two wrongs do not make a right imo.

I think its unreasonable to let a dog act in such away its whole life due to human error & misunderstanding & then attempt to make life easier for the owners (Not the dog) by using forcful techniques.

Clearly we arent sure "what" techniques had previously been used, it may well have been a last chance thing.

Is anybody interested in what Anti CMers would have tired? or arent any of you bothered on our opinions?

Would any PRO CMers have treated the ACD in a different way?
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
What are we talking about now the ACD?

In which case i agree. but equally two wrongs do not make a right imo.
as people think cm should not handle dogs should agility be banned until a non stressful way can be found for all schools that teach it
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2008, 05:06 PM
as people think cm should not handle dogs should agility be banned until a non stressful way can be found for all schools that teach it
eh? what has he got to do with dog agility?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I think people SHOULD handle their dogs MORE!!!! i dont like hands off training, but it IS good for some dogs.

I like handling!!!!! , i just dont think CM "handles" very well. (personally i dont) as a judge i see alot of how handling affects the dogs preforamance,so im used to looking for little clues signs etc from dog & handler

Theres AWFUL handling in all Areas of dogs, Terrible things going on in the name of competition, in AG & Ob.

I think all Harsh Handling should be banned in competition. There are rules now but not really stuck too, on the other hand others take it too far & dont Handle at all, personally i dont like the "emotion" between dog & handler that zero handler can take away.

Dunno if anyone has followed that!!!!!

You can "handle! & be consistant fair & kind
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
RE: teaching a dog like Jonbee commands without addressing his damaged psychological state.

This would be like teaching a homicidal maniac to sit in a chair. He's still a homicidal maniac, but he's sitting down. Would you trust him?

My lad was waaaaaaaay more aggressive than Jonbee, [ he had done at least nine attacks, including to three behaviourists when he was in rescue, who all said he was beyond help...].
At no time was he subjected to Milans type treatment by me or his rescuer`s, my lad was given understanding of why he was so violent, and his actual psychological needs were met, by positively rewarding him for wanted behaviours, and by training - not just forced into regression which could come back at any time - and yep, I trust my lad
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by colliemad View Post
eh? what has he got to do with dog agility?
all i am trying to say that you cant go through life without some stress,
i would love to here what anti cm people would have done with the herding dog
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2008, 05:13 PM
all i am trying to say that you cant go through life without some stress,
i would love to here what anti cm people would have done with the herding dog
I have three herding dogs and the trick is not to let that sort of thing develop in the first place
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
My lad was waaaaaaaay more aggressive than Jonbee, [ he had done at least nine attacks, including to three behaviourists when he was in rescue, who all said he was beyond help...].
At no time was he subjected to Milans type treatment by me or his rescuer`s, my lad was given understanding of why he was so violent, and his actual psychological needs were met, by positively rewarding him for wanted behaviours, and by training - not just forced into regression which could come back at any time - and yep, I trust my lad
realy pleased and happy for you and well done, because you way worked , again well done ,it does not mean cm way is wrong
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2008, 05:17 PM
right mish, you wanted a positive clip and here is one for you! He is actually trying to interact with this dog and rewarding it with food this is why he confuses me, as I said earlier sometimes I think that he doesn't like dogs and then other times.......

the clip you want is a pic of a pitbull in a cage, it's the second one along the bottom and the dog is called gavin

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...ideos/02766_01
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by colliemad View Post
I have three herding dogs and the trick is not to let that sort of thing develop in the first place
could not agree more, but the sad thing is a lot of people do, mostly because of a lack of knowledge the odd one because they are idiots
Page 59 of 102 « First < 9 49 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 69 > Last »