Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 01:00 PM
thanks for clearing that up for me mary

breeding can and should be improved..

I guess the one thing that struck me about the dogs exposed programe was...yes some breeds are ok just now.. but it wouldnt take many generations if foolish breeding occurs to change that...

the influence of popular sires..

bottlenecks caused by decrease of breeding during war time... then a a rapid growth of breeding after within a very limited gene pool,
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I think the TV programme has opend up a great opertunity for good quality breeders

It has now become clear that line breeding and in breeding goes on, and it seems to go on far too much
and that is causing some health problems and having us on a ticking time bomb for the future

But the public is now aware of it

So breeders who already do not inbreed can let the public know what they are doing - and the now more informed public can make the choice to buy a better dog

and of course it has raised the bar for what an etical breeder is
Health checks are importand but now not the be all and end all, if someone truly loves their breed and only wants to breed to improve their breed then health comes before looks, before winning at shows
and so they need to think harder about the stud they use - so they can increase the genetic deversity in their breed rather than decrease it
I am sure in many breeds there are enough dogs out there of the same breed that this can be done
if that means you have to travel further - so be it - you are trying to improve your breed - not just to make money and have dogs that win in the show ring - I think this programme has shown that winning dogs are not ness the breed improvment that breeders should be striving for

I think this is a great time to save so many of the pedigrees that people love so much. If we dont do it now and carry on letting people in/line breed then it is possible that these dogs will be in real trouble in the future

I know there are some really endangered breeds
But I dont think line breeding is the answer - it is not saving the breed just postponing the demise of the breed
Experts need to get in NOW and asses if there is enough genetic deversity to keep the breed going - and if there is then plan a v strict breeding programme to keep the breed alive and move it towards a more healthy future
If there is not then the choice is either to find suitble dogs to outcross to and then v careful breeding or, sadly to realise we have made a mess of a breed and let it pass with dingity and learn from our mistakes with other breeds

PW I cannot give you reppies at the moment till I pass more out - but great posts
She is against people breeding more dogs when therre are so many in rescue
what is wrong with that?? if she had got her dogs from breeders then she would deserve the slating
she has supported rescue and not given money to the breeders
so she prefers pedigrees - isnt that a great sign to all you pedigree breeders out there?? Most people want a pedigree breed - so if you breed well there will always be a market for your dogs

Me personaly, I disagree with people making money out of life, so it would be v unlikely I would find someone breeding dogs who ticks all my boxes, and if I did they wouldnt consider giving a dog to me so at the moment I will continue to rescue
pedigree, x breed, dosent matter to me - its the dog that chooses me!
Great post

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
we know honestly we do!?
Well good for you – I for one didn’t know, so who is this we you speak of? What of it anyway, surely anyone is entitled to their opinion and to put it across however many time they want.

so anyone on this forum who bought dogs from a breeder deserves slating? !?
That’s not what is being said at all and you are well aware of that. She would deserve a slating if she went to a breeder after saying she was against breeders, as it is she was slated for only having rescue pedigree’s and not cross breeds which is where this went off topic

yes she homes them... but she doesnt support good breeders!?
Why the hell should she, if she doesn’t believe its necessary to be breeding more dogs? Why should I support breeders when I would rather support rescues

Yes?!?
Yes absolutely and good on her, wish there was more ofus.

all of the above has me confused... its a bit self contradictory is it not?!?
I dont understand why you feel a breeder would refuse you one of there dogs? yet a rescue wouldnt. Do you feel breeders have higher criteria for homing dogs than rescue?
just a bit confused again.!?
What is it your confused about? Im not sure about breeders having a higher criteria for their dogs than rescue – I would think it would depend on the breeder and the rescue.

Maybe the breeders can answer that – do they all do home checks, do they all ensure the dogs are neutered or under contract to be neutered etc etc.

I think this could be an interesting discussion regarding rescues – and pedigree dogs and which we should be taking on.

Maybe the mods could move these off topic posts to a new discussion thread?

ETA; as you have only had a rescue dog ben...which is great... but do you feel your view is more one sided.. eg as a rescue dog owner.. you have not yet had to deal with breeders as such?

Ive never had to deal with a breeder either – and never will does that make me not entitled to a view. Ive never had dealings with lots of things does not mean I cannot have a balanced view on thing or that I am wrong.

Do you also presume that breeders and owners of breeder bred dogs are also one sided.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2008, 01:15 PM
thanks for clearing that up for me mary

breeding can and should be improved..

I guess the one thing that struck me about the dogs exposed programe was...yes some breeds are ok just now.. but it wouldnt take many generations if foolish breeding occurs to change that...

the influence of popular sires..

bottlenecks caused by decrease of breeding during war time... then a a rapid growth of breeding after within a very limited gene pool,
Group hug coming to Scotland from Rye

I honestly think we need to tackle stuff on a number of fronts (all mentioned before eg the dreaded pf and byb, all out of our immediate control), but us small breeders can only to our bit and hopefully over time, lead by example. What is in my control is to try and provide info for folk who want to listen. There are loads of sensible and very caring breeders on dogsey and elsewhere. If we start small, but spread it wide, we can avoid the drastic action some breeds will face very soon. My goal is to persuade a few members of the breed club to think alike, there is already support from some pet owning members, who are very articulate. Eventually their gentle pressure will help modify actions...but it is hard as dog breeding for years has been like an apprenticeship.

Onward!

Mary
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Hi Jackie

Most canine geneticists would agree that 10 generations or as many as possible is what you need to be looking at so most paper peds won't give you enough info.

Mary
Just as an aside I can trace my 'pedigree' rescue dog back about 20 generations back to 1821
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Just as an aside I can trace my 'pedigree' rescue dog back about 20 generations back to 1821
Good grief Spot...are you on a wind-up here LOL??!!

What breed is that? 20 generations of most breeds might only get you to 1940...they must be very long-lived or else having pups in their late teens....

'Tis a miracle!! I do need a bit of light relief...as a substitute for any at end of tunnel (currently in Scotland, specifically Larbert!)

M
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Great post

Well good for you – I for one didn’t know, so who is this we you speak of? What of it anyway, surely anyone is entitled to their opinion and to put it across however many time they want.

That’s not what is being said at all and you are well aware of that. She would deserve a slating if she went to a breeder after saying she was against breeders, as it is she was slated for only having rescue pedigree’s and not cross breeds which is where this went off topic

Why the hell should she, if she doesn’t believe its necessary to be breeding more dogs? Why should I support breeders when I would rather support rescues

Yes absolutely and good on her, wish there was more ofus.

What is it your confused about? Im not sure about breeders having a higher criteria for their dogs than rescue – I would think it would depend on the breeder and the rescue.

Maybe the breeders can answer that – do they all do home checks, do they all ensure the dogs are neutered or under contract to be neutered etc etc.

I think this could be an interesting discussion regarding rescues – and pedigree dogs and which we should be taking on.

Maybe the mods could move these off topic posts to a new discussion thread?

Ive never had to deal with a breeder either – and never will does that make me not entitled to a view. Ive never had dealings with lots of things does not mean I cannot have a balanced view on thing or that I am wrong.

Do you also presume that breeders and owners of breeder bred dogs are also one sided.
thank you once again for blundering in with an aggressive attitude.. answering questions for others again....

when I want your opinion.. I will quote you

but yes its a good idea to have these posts moved to a breeder bashing thread...
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Good grief Spot...are you on a wind-up here LOL??!!

What breed is that? 20 generations of most breeds might only get you to 1940...they must be very long-lived or else having pups in their late teens....

'Tis a miracle!! I do need a bit of light relief...as a substitute for any at end of tunnel (currently in Scotland, specifically Larbert!)

M
Well Im glad you find it amusing! Your right did a re-count and its around 35. They should be long lived but unfortunately most dont get the chance
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Well Im glad you find it amusing! Your right did a re-count and its around 35. They should be long lived but unfortunately most dont get the chance
chill.. cant you see its your attitude that makes having a discussion hard...
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-10-2008, 01:30 PM
thank you once again for blundering in with an aggressive attitude.. answering questions for others again....

when I want your opinion.. I will quote you

but yes its a good idea to have these posts moved to a breeder bashing thread...
Well sorry if Im not allowed an opinion on what you or anybody else puts on a public forum

Show me please where Ive bashed breeders apart from those of my own breed?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Well sorry if Im not allowed an opinion on what you or anybody else puts on a public forum
of course you have an opinion... of course you can air it.. but the questions were not asked of you.. you do seem to jump in whenever I ask questions of others...answering on there behalf...
Im sure people will do that for themself...
Page 59 of 65 « First < 9 49 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 > Last »