Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

But deliberately out crossing to another breed, I just dont see the logic to it.

It then get it back to its original breed, with new genes added, you would have to then go down the route of inbreeding to get back to type.
Nope, again. Maybe you have been misinformed...one could use any one of original breed that were unrelated...long, long project with major software implications. I don't think anyone is suggesting that just any old hobby breeder would be expected to do it, it may take just a select few breeders within each breed to participate. What on earth is the problem?
Mary
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2008, 10:54 AM
I think PW has made it perfectly clear, when she means out crossing she means xbreeding two breeds..

Cant find it know , but did she not suggest adding springer blood to something????

That is out crossing, it is X breeding!!!!
Problem is hobby breeders on here will take exception to her views because she doesn't breed.

She thinks breeders need to change.

I agree with her concepts actually, but pw needs to understand that she will come up against the arguments and resistance simply because she doesn't breed pedigrees. Goes with the territory I'm afraid.

People would rather sound off about stuff, irrespective of whether is is right than do a bit of reading, human nature. I understand her frustration but that is life! I don't expect everyone to agree with me for example, but if a few people at least question the old formulas it will be good for the future of pedigree dogs. Sustainable change comes from within, ie by those who need to change...forcing the issue (down people's throats) is counterproductive imho.
M
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Its interesting but can we put this somewhere else...its diverged and this thread is long enough anyway ?
as much as I would love to ...Im sure it will creep into every thread on breeding..
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Jackie

Most canine geneticists would agree that 10 generations or as many as possible is what you need to be looking at so most paper pads won't give you enough info.
Mary
I know a 5 gen pedigree will not give you enough info, but if you know your lines, and most breeders (good one) will have records going back more than 5 generations... you can if you look find if any inbreeding has gone on.

You most certainly will find a common ancestor in most pedigrees, and many breeds will stick to lines they like,

but generally in many of our breeds inbreeding is not practiced, simply because we do have wide gene pools, (global) the introduction of the pet passport, and AI , also makes it easier to out cross.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2008, 11:09 AM
I think we are all in agreement on here that the KC needs some SERIOUSLY HUGE reforms as does breeding in general BUT it concerns me that the health problems of a few breeds that have been highlighted are now being used to condemn all pedigree breeds and responsible breeders. It seems a little bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
I do agree that there are some breeds with health issues that need IMMEDIATE action but again, it's preventing the unscrupulous breeders (both BYB and KC registered) that really needs focus because they are the ones who as we have seen don't give a damn about inbreeding, health testing etc. They don't care about quality dogs they only care about money. The reputable breeders should also not be the ones contributing to the rescue problem as they have vetted the owners previously and should be willing to accept a dog back if there are problems and would hopefully only be breeding if they were assured they could find good homes for each pup. Again it's the ones who don't give a damn who are helping create a mass surplus of dogs.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Nope, again. Maybe you have been misinformed...one could use any one of original breed that were unrelated...long, long project with major software implications. I don't think anyone is suggesting that just any old hobby breeder would be expected to do it, it may take just a select few breeders within each breed to participate. What on earth is the problem?
Mary
The problem is the hysteria that all breeders of all breeds are rampantly inbreeding.... a 5 gen pedigree may not provide the info you want, but it will tell you if in the last 5 generations inbreeding has gone on.

Problem is hobby breeders on here will take exception to her views because she doesn't breed.

She thinks breeders need to change.

And her being an expert in all breeds , and the poor hobby breeder having no concept of breeding

I agree with her concepts actually, but pw needs to understand that she will come up against the arguments and resistance simply because she doesn't breed pedigrees. Goes with the territory I'm afraid.
I am not a breeder and , and what goes with the territory is , when you continue to bash pedigree dogs and breeders , you will get people come out to fight their corner...that is also human nature.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I agree with her concepts actually,
just to clarify, You agree that all breeds should mix diff breeds to help with health?

or do you agree that breeds in serious trouble should consider doing so?

my head hurts.. now Im confused....
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
I think we are all in agreement on here that the KC needs some SERIOUSLY HUGE reforms as does breeding in general BUT it concerns me that the health problems of a few breeds that have been highlighted are now being used to condemn all pedigree breeds and responsible breeders. It seems a little bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
I do agree that there are some breeds with health issues that need IMMEDIATE action but again, it's preventing the unscrupulous breeders (both BYB and KC registered) that really needs focus because they are the ones who as we have seen don't give a damn about inbreeding, health testing etc. They don't care about quality dogs they only care about money. The reputable breeders should also not be the ones contributing to the rescue problem as they have vetted the owners previously and should be willing to accept a dog back if there are problems and would hopefully only be breeding if they were assured they could find good homes for each pup. Again it's the ones who don't give a damn who are helping create a mass surplus of dogs.
Good post!!!
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
just to clarify, You agree that all breeds should mix diff breeds to help with health?

or do you agree that breeds in serious trouble should consider doing so?

my head hurts.. now Im confused....
I Agree that breeds in trouble will need new breed blood from dogs that look similar in some way. I Accept that if we do nothing about all this pathetic line-breeding in all breeds that that will mean more breeds down the line needing new blood. Its not rocket science. 15,000 dogs equalling less than 100 genetically different animals is so sad.

I'm not confused, a bit frustrated LOL...as an example, I have no objection to people like Jackie defending their breed. I reckon its done with good intent - clearly she loves her dogs. But so much mis-info around. The angle taken on Dogsey in gen viz the 'its all ok brigade, we don't need to do anything,' I find deeply worrying and perplexing and its hard to know what on earth to do about it. All is not rosey in my breed club either...similar attitude prevails.

*heads for paracetamol too*

M
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I know a 5 gen pedigree will not give you enough info, but if you know your lines, and most breeders (good one) will have records going back more than 5 generations... you can if you look find if any inbreeding has gone on.

You most certainly will find a common ancestor in most pedigrees, and many breeds will stick to lines they like,

but generally in many of our breeds inbreeding is not practiced, simply because we do have wide gene pools, (global) the introduction of the pet passport, and AI , also makes it easier to out cross.
You are going to take out a contract on me soon But:

one can have dogs all over the world and they could still be related. That is what a paper ped will not tell you....also breeders need to check COI of incoming dogs to make sure that it would not increase UK COI.

Is there any way you could find out what COI is in your breed: the breed club may measure it. If so, it will be easier to illustrate this point LOL!

Mary
Page 58 of 65 « First < 8 48 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 > Last »