Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I have to say though, the FCR in question was nOT easy to train. He was highly distractable and his recall was poo. He wanted to go and see everything, bird, squirrel, small child, person, dog, cat...as soon as he saw something that was it and no amount of chicken, liver, toys, stupid voices and running away from him did the trick...I wouldn't say he was biddable. You're right a lot of FCRs are exceptionally biddable and easy to train as a result, the one at my feet is exactly that...but not all Flat coats....
It took a LOT of time and effort on my part, then on the part of someone else to get his recall as good as it now is.

I don't agree with zapping a dog just incase it escapes...you can't live your life on what ifs.

We haven't done this for a while Dawn, wish I had more time...it's fun!

You can wear a dog out by getting it to use it's brain much more than you can by letting it go for a run around.

Dogs that are trained not to poo in a specific area (the house) by using painful or frightening methods, will often become worse through nerves.

What is his recall like around otgher dogs?
Hi ramble i agree my dogs can have their energy zapped by mentally stimulating them - they can have it zapped by me putting them on a treadmill - but i wont its totally unnatural - half of exercising my dogs is the pleasure of watching them running freely and when i was in my previous house I got a dog knowing i would have to drive every day to get to a park to allow them to. Were I not be able to do this it would have certainly changed the type of breed I went for - that MO.

I disagree that you cant live your life on what if's - i totally see your sentiment on than and where youre coming from - but some things need an element of what ifs - we protect our possessions and our children precisely living our lives by the what if approach and dogs similarly.
Its risk reduction in this case and the ifs are small but still there and I think Sallyinlancs is just trying to reduce one of them.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
So in answer to my question, you don't think your dogs breeding has any part in him chasing sheep
I don't think the main reason he chases sheep is his breed. I think it has more to do with his compulsive obsession than an innate prey-drive. Looking at the way the problem developed I think it was LEARNED through self-reward rather than BRED into him. He could just as easily have developed a problem with chasing his tail or being afraid of skateboards in the same way.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
heres a question on that - would you get a breed that needs a lot of exercise - if you wasnt able to let it run off lead?
Yes I have.... 3 of them in fact (2 now though)
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
As I have said, he wasn't BORN wanting to chase. He USED to be absolutely fine around livestock. This is a LEARNED behaviour brought about by the experiences he had. He shows no aggression towards sheep at all - when he chases them he doesn't show any drive to kill or hurt. He wants to play with them and behaves much in the same way as he does around other dogs in the park when he's off-lead. He gets over-excited in his 'play' and then ignores commands.
He WAS born with it... it just takes them a a little time to realise it!!

here we go again with the old..its a Sibe x Mal X GSD but the GSD makes it trainable..What rubbish!!

He used to be fine as he was younger..MANY Mals are walked off lead without problem when they are young.. then they get to an age where they go deaf and start chasing things! He may "look" like he wants to play..but then how quick can play change to something else?? Quicker than you can stop him thats for sure..
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 01:24 PM
and you dont think the dogs want to run free or rather do you think there are breeds that may be happier with the exercise situation - toy breed, st bernard or something like that?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 01:29 PM
and you dont think the dogs want to run free or rather do you think there are breeds that may be happier with the exercise situation - toy breed, st bernard or something like that?
Is this directed at me?

I know nothing about toy breeds or st bernards etc..and would never get either..

My dogs are happy, they are worked on a scooter and rig, walked on lead, play off lead in the garden whenever they want..They get an off lead run for an hour every Tuesday & Wed night in a large enclosed area.. and they veg out on the settee watching the latest films.. I am sure they are very happy..
They don't chase sheep, don't get zapped by ecollars or sprayed with citronella, or run on the roads or attack other dogs etc..
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
He WAS born with it... it just takes them a a little time to realise it!!

here we go again with the old..its a Sibe x Mal X GSD but the GSD makes it trainable..What rubbish!!

He used to be fine as he was younger..MANY Mals are walked off lead without problem when they are young.. then they get to an age where they go deaf and start chasing things! He may "look" like he wants to play..but then how quick can play change to something else?? Quicker than you can stop him thats for sure..
For 3 years my CKCT has had a bigger prey drive than my staff who now aged three has just got one and my GSD has always had one in her meagre 10mths - arent we just talking about dogs wanting to chase animals here and some realising they want to do it at different times to others?
So because a malamute has these urges its happiest permanently leashed - I think that sounds as cruel as responsibly using an ecollar...isnt that just satisfying a personal whim to have a beautful dog like a malamute rather than having a breed with these bubbling breed characteristics pulling at it underneath?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 01:37 PM
So because a malamute has these urges its happiest permanently leashed - I think that sounds as cruel as responsibly using an ecollar...isnt that just satisfying a personal whim to have a beautful dog like a malamute rather than having a breed with these bubbling breed characteristics pulling at it underneath?

Got lots of Mal experience have you??

It's SAFER to have them leashed when on walks (they are OFF lead in the ENCLOSED area)
So keeping my dog SAFE and livestock safe is as cruel as an ecollar??

A WHIM??? yeah.. I waited 18 years to be in a position to get my first Mal so yeah it was a whim

They don't get the chance to WANT to chase livestock as we aren't near any and don't walk near any
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Ever owned a northern spitz nickyboy?
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Ever owned a northern spitz nickyboy?
no are they nice?