Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Not totaly, when the lab lunges at the dobe and she/he jumps up he puts his hand out towards the dobe, its body language changes and it goes submissive, its also muzzled!
It responds to the aversivness of his hand gestuire with appeasment in an attempt to turn it off.

He also uses loads of leash jerks/corrections with the lab.

Adam
1. The dog was muzzled because the owners demanded it and he is only going by the owner's demands. He says he would prefer the dog unmuzzled as he can trust the dog.

2. The Dobie gave a warning and then appeasement gestures when the trainer stepped into the fray and held up his hand. I wasn't fond of what he did here because the dog gave a proper warning growl to stop a really rude lab from just stepping on him. This is the one major thing in his video (besides all the dominance BS) that I disagreed with. You do NOT punish a dog for growling. Warning growls are very important.

3. I do not see any leash corrections. I see him pull the dog closer to him at a couple points and a lot of his "jerking around the leash" is his attempting to gesture with a hand he can't really gesture with and still hold onto the leash. I didn't see him pop the leash once.

Even with what he did in #2 he's about a million times better at training than you could ever hope to be Adam.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Why, would you like to try sticking an electric shock collar on him and subject him to your abuse? As my dog is quite a character, perhaps you'd like to use two collars? Three? Two around his neck and one around his genitals? More?
Don't tempt him!

Adam, my dogs got fear aggression towards dogs (I believe) how the hell do you stop that with an e - collar? - Oh Pick me - I know - YOU CAN'T with an e - collar!
You can't punish someone or something for being frightened? I'm scared of needles - my mum didn't zap me to stop me being scared of them - I set myself up to succeed and I believe I did last summer when having my cervical cancer jabs - I sat down in the chair, told the nurses not to talk to me and not to tell me when they were doing it and I got over it that way, I have to have an injection every 3 months, I set myself up the same way and I come out feeling a little less nervous each time.

We're doing the same with Benjie, he only meets female puppies as a male dog is less likely to attack a female or a puppy, he's so far met a very persistent yorkie pup who was told off once but then he laid down and got over it that way - whilst been given treats. Recently he has met a 14 week old Shih Tzu pup, she told him off for growling at her - he laid down after 10 minutes and got over it - he even went to sleep. All this whilst being muzzled - for our ease, because if we weren't at ease - he wasn't going to be. The muzzle was removed after half an hour when we were certain he would be OK with her. We set him up to succeed!

This has led him to be able to walk past the neighbour's two CKCS with minimal barking and he has sniffed them - one male, one female - he was far from perfect but a work in progress - he is afterall nearly 8 and has lived like this since he was 9 months old when the RSPCA picked him up - we believe it was the experience in kennels that changed him.

I would love to split your brain open and take a peek at how it's wired in there. (from a Psychological point of view - of course)
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Lovely! And omg is that an Aussie with a tail?! Gorgeous!
Yup totaly, got a few round here and they just seem so happy to have their tails always showing them off
I am so happy with the docking ban, dont like any dog docked but just dont see the point in an aussie at all
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yup totaly, got a few round here and they just seem so happy to have their tails always showing them off
I am so happy with the docking ban, dont like any dog docked but just dont see the point in an aussie at all
Well said!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Don't tempt him!
He wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting anywhere near my dog.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I wish they'd stop here! I was surprised, actually, to have looked at a lot of UK breeders (curious to see Aussies with tails) and a lot of them are still docked!
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Adam, how is that not positive training? because he put his hand out to stop a dog reacting?

He did not SHOCK the dog, he hardly said a word, he did not HIT the dog - he just put his hand out to say 'enough' and he allowed that dog (the dobe was just saying go away with that attitude btw) space by keeping the other on-lead. He explained the reasons clearly. He then allowed the dobe to get on with it and walked with the other one onlead. If he did not use the lead - that is the type of dog that will cause a lot of bother in a group. IMO a couple of tugs on a lead for one to prevent a fight for the greater good of all those dogs is not exactly negative training

He also explained about the muzzle and in what way is wearing a muzzle a fact that training is not positive?
I'm not saying its bad training, in fact I thought it was very good, I'm just saying that he uses a mixture of techniques.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Why, would you like to try sticking an electric shock collar on him and subject him to your abuse? As my dog is quite a character, perhaps you'd like to use two collars? Three? Two around his neck and one around his genitals? More?
So no then!

Videos of 8 year old dog aggressive pitbull (US)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieBy9cK3vlQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieBy9cK3vlQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SIPQ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6quOCU-i_Mo (owners testimony)

Adam
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I don't think so, seeing as the food issue was separate from the door jumping/barking issue.

I meant that Jacca probably knew people were causing him pain when shock collars were on him. Dogs aren't daft, even though they may be made to wear collars for a while before they are used, etc etc etc etc ...

Wys
x
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I meant that Jacca probably knew people were causing him pain when shock collars were on him. Dogs aren't daft, even though they may be made to wear collars for a while before they are used, etc etc etc etc ...

Wys
x
I don't believe so, old Jacca didn't seem to care one way or the other about the collar and certainly didn't associate it with the owners. I don't think they had guided him into behaviours with it so he had just ignored it!

New Jacca didn't have an e collar experience before me!

Adam
Closed Thread
Page 52 of 206 « First < 2 42 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 62 102 152 > Last »