View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 10:14 PM
I don't understand why you can't find a safe secure area for Ben to run free in, run him in harness with a bike or scooter, and when you want to go off across the countryside, put him in a harness attached to a long line. All the time working on his recall, which given the cross that he is, probably will never be 100%

Many people have dogs that live like this, mine included. I still have not read one thing in your argument that requires the use of an E Collar, none.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Mish, you know me better than this, stop being obtuse.

I don't know howOH always calls the dogs, because I am only with him at weekends. But at those times he calls them the same as I do, except his whistling is crap compared to mine! He uses the word Come, followed by his pathetic attempt at a whistle!

I have different types of whistle, all done through my front teeth. A long piercing whistle, if my first "toots" have not succeeded. I say the dog's name first, just once, to get his attention, followed by the Come word, and if necessary the toots, and then the long piercing whistle if I don't get a result. With Tai, I get a result, Gucci, mmm, sometimes, but he is not my dog, so I am not so concerned about him, it's up to my daughter to train her own dog. Ben, now, following the dreadfully cruel abusive treatment that he has had to suffer twice, always responds now, looks up at his name usually, responds to the Come word, because that is the trigger for a treat, and then if he hasn't already broken into a canter to come back to me, he gets the long piercing whistle.

I don't believe in repetition, if something hasn't worked once, then don't repeat it on that particular occasion.

Doubtless, everyone including your good self, will pick holes and tear MY preferred routine apart - I don't care, it is what I do, and it works, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it !!

AT least i HAVEN'T lost my sense of humour!!
What a bizarre sentence.

Dogs need repetition (encouragement which is included in repetition I suppose) during training - obviously - until they know what they are being asked to do. Hence why it's called training, so they get better at what they are being asked to do.

So, if you have to use the e-collar again, you would only shock him once on that occasion and not again? If so, what then?

How strange. No wonder you haven't been able to train the dog more positively using more humane methods of training. No repetition, consistency or positive encouragement, it seems.

How sad, not to mention dangerous.

I hope the use of this collar doesn't come back to bite you on the a*se, with regards to Ben deciding to ignore you, the e-collar or whatever and running off.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Thats where you failed then, dogs dont learn things over night.. Repetition for me is important in helping the dog understand what is being asked of it. You cant try once and give up, trying a new method each time. Thats madness.
O Lord, dot the i's Gnasher, cross the t's.

I should have said with commands.
b
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

wouldnt it have been better to work on conditioning the dogs (and OH) to the certain sound/pattern of a whistle for whistle training?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm off to bed nite all
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Your dog yelped in pain..you believe that to be an acceptable means of training..unbelievable
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 10:17 PM
OMG I cannot believe some of what I have just read over several posts on here.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 10:19 PM
No, I would only think it cruel if you NEVER let your dog off a lead. My dogs are put onto their leads whenever we approach a road, when we go into pubs or other public places. Or of course where there is livestock.
He spent 5 years confined to a long line and harness as there wasn't anywhere safe to let him off. Chances are when we move he'll be back on a long line as finding a secure field isn't easy.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Mish, you know me better than this, stop being obtuse.

I don't know howOH always calls the dogs, because I am only with him at weekends. But at those times he calls them the same as I do, except his whistling is crap compared to mine! He uses the word Come, followed by his pathetic attempt at a whistle!

I have different types of whistle, all done through my front teeth. A long piercing whistle, if my first "toots" have not succeeded. I say the dog's name first, just once, to get his attention, followed by the Come word, and if necessary the toots, and then the long piercing whistle if I don't get a result. With Tai, I get a result, Gucci, mmm, sometimes, but he is not my dog, so I am not so concerned about him, it's up to my daughter to train her own dog. Ben, now, following the dreadfully cruel abusive treatment that he has had to suffer twice, always responds now, looks up at his name usually, responds to the Come word, because that is the trigger for a treat, and then if he hasn't already broken into a canter to come back to me, he gets the long piercing whistle.

I don't believe in repetition, if something hasn't worked once, then don't repeat it on that particular occasion.

Doubtless, everyone including your good self, will pick holes and tear MY preferred routine apart - I don't care, it is what I do, and it works, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it !!

AT least i HAVEN'T lost my sense of humour!!
But it obviously doesn't work else you wouldn't be shocking Ben. Can you really not see the holes? You and your OH both do different things, you don't even know what your OH does.

Your posts leads me to state that you really have failed in a proper, constructive and reliable (for all of you, including Ben) training regime for Ben so that at least the poor bu**er knows where he is without you and your OH doing different things, then bringing in the cruel technique of an e-collar. As for picking apart your "routine" - what routine? You do not appear to have one. What the hell does that say to Ben?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
...but training ALL training is about repetition.....

I see now why you feel you failed at everything in the 6 months.
Exactly!

I've just read this after posting my previous post.
Closed Thread
Page 52 of 83 « First < 2 42 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 62 > Last »