Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 05:56 PM
LOL.. give us a chance. My server keeps knocking me off
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 06:08 PM
Yes, of course I agree John Going to use the GSD again as an example.

Construction has been exaggerated so much to achieve the flashy movement that is essential for a GSD to win in the showring today. The original pupose of the GSD's ancestors was to work a line at the trot to hold sheep, so an economical stride is necessary but there is a point where increasing length becomes a hindrance and as mentioned previously, what is gained in length of stride is lost in manouverabilty.

The flashy crowd pleasing movement does have a function in the ring, but nowhere else methinks. Other breeds have other flashy features eg profuse coat in Beardies, excessive skin in some hounds etc.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 07:42 PM
but what about dogs who have titles in show, working,
Im sure there must be triple champions on the go, or double, ie, field trial champ and show champ, or similar,,,
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by john100 View Post
surely if your showing a dog, its not doing what it was originally breed to do. No working dog was bred for the show ring, so i think thats a contradiction in its self
How can it possibly be a contradiction ?? NO Dog, full stop, was bred for the show ring !!! NO, you are having your dog Judged on it's conformational merit, to see if it CAN do the job it was bred to do, and which dog in the ring would do it the best, based on it's breed standard. (which isn;t about how pretty the coat looks)

Why do companies perform employee interviews ???

To judge on whether someone can do the job. If it were as simple as just doing the job, they would have everyone come in and start work ???
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 08:54 PM
I think it depends on the breed after reading the replies about certain dogs.

Pod you say that GSDs and certain other breeds have been exaggerated for the show ring. Maybe they have, I have no idea, so it's not my place to say.

I think I'll stick to talking about my breed then, and maybe a few others, where I know their working function is first and foremost and conformation is the be all and end all and looks and prettiness don't come into it.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by john100 View Post
surely if your showing a dog, its not doing what it was originally breed to do. No working dog was bred for the show ring, so i think thats a contradiction in its self

why, should all dogs not be bread to standard,,,
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I think it depends on the breed after reading the replies about certain dogs.

Pod you say that GSDs and certain other breeds have been exaggerated for the show ring. Maybe they have, I have no idea, so it's not my place to say.

I think I'll stick to talking about my breed then, and maybe a few others, where I know their working function is first and foremost and conformation is the be all and end all and looks and prettiness don't come into it.
DITO

I know a bit about a few breeds, but have no idea about soooo many, I can only really comment on a few,

I do think some have a very narrow view on show dogs, some may have a narrow view when it comes to working but if we are all honest, how many dogs that we produce go to real working homes, Not many at all, with bans on hunting and so on many would be breaking the law if they allowed there dogs to do what they were intended to do, where does that leave these breeds,, should we stop breeding them?
mabey when it comes right down to it,,,,as the majority of dogs sold to pet homes we should be breeding for pet,,,,ability,
lol,
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Isn't that the Utility Group ? ......lol
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Isn't that the Utility Group ? ......lol
Thats a whole new debate,,,lol pml,,,,,
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-07-2007, 06:01 AM
Rightly or wrongly hunting still continues. It does in my neck of the woods From organized fox hunts to the man in the street with his terriers. OK you could argue there breaking the law and so they are, but it was never going to be an enforceable piece of (rubbish) legislation in the first place. At least these breeds still work. I read an article in the Countryman weekly not so long ago, regarding Borders and Pats and what a shame it was that more and more have succumbed to the life of the show ring dog. I feel we have lost so much from our dogs already. If for instance we take a pup from a pure working strain breed and rear it just for a life in the show ring (1) have we the right to deny the dog the life it should have. (2) What are we doing to the dog psychologically, do they eventually succumb to the life we have given them. If they could talk what do you think they would say to us. I.m not denying that show dogs arnt bred to 'standards'. But that standard has been there for generations. Kept alive by men that were passionate about there particular breed. Mating his bitch with a dog from the niegboring village, there were no papers in those days either, with some unprenousable name 5 words long. There was no hip/eye scoring etc. Showing is about being best in the show ring, for our glory, not that of the dog. No one talked about standards years ago. They bred into there dogs the qualities needed to enable the breed to do there work and they got it right. In this modern world of ours can we say weve done those men proud. I think they would turn in there grave
Page 50 of 54 « First < 40 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 > Last »