View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 02:43 PM
I dont have any children of my own and as a result, I would never allow children to walk my dogs, not even my nephews. Simple reason being my dogs werent raised with kids so I wouldnt trust the dogs. Plus they are big strong dogs who are clever enough to know when to take advantage.

I wouldnt allow a professional dog walker to let my dogs off lead. They are very much hunters and as a result can be difficult to handle around wildlife and there is only me who knows how my dogs are going to behave, which situations are likely to be problematic etc. Furthermore Flynn is whistle trained and only responds to my specific commands. Even though my OH uses the same commands for his dog, because he blows the whistle slightly different Flynn obviously picks up on the subtle differences and doesnt respond.

There is only really myself whom I would trust to take my dogs out, simply because I know what a handful they can be if they realise they can get away with it.
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2009, 05:31 PM
My daughter is 10 and Yogi our youngest lab actually believes he belongs to her (or she belongs to him never been sure). Hes 5 and a very well behaved dog he will do exactly as she tells him so yes she does take him out on her own sometimes but only on the lead.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi.

For us it's like this.....
Even though all 3 dogs are family pets and belong to the "family", Zane is more my dog (actually I think I belong to him!) and Ellie is more Oscar's (my 4 year old Son) dog.

Oscar loves to walk and run with dogs and countles times whislt out walking he's asked to hold Ellie. Other than if I'm handling her she pulls like an express trasin and is more powerful than Zane, so Oscar wouldn't stand a chance - although I think she would actually behave for him.

My intentions are these.....
I the summer when the weather is nice so formal training classes are outside and Oscar is off school (so it doesn't matter about being late in bed) he can come with my Mom (who usually babysits for me) for a while to see the training going on. On a different night we do agility in the summer that I'm going to get Zane invovled in so he can see that too.

I always take Oscar with me when walking the dogs, partly because he enjoys it and partly because I can't leave him alone in the house at 4 years old. At the moment, 2 leads are attached to Ellie so that really I have overall control, btu Oscar feels that he's walking her.

However, in about 5/6 years time when Oscar is about to go to secondary school and Ellie is far better trained than she is now, older and maybe slower or at last not so excitable, then Oscar can walk Ellie whilst I walk the others. We will be together so I can intervene should anything happen.

I would never allow Oscar to walk ANY of my dogs alone until he's at least 18. I now he'll be able to handle them long before that but he may not know how to react in certai situations and lads don't really grow up until their adults anyway - I don't want to lose my dogs over something silly that may have happened.

I woulnd't allow a stranger to walk my dogs because I know of people who allowed a certain dog walker to walk their dogs and then this person would claim the dog had been stolen (usually SBTs) where in fact he'd sold the dog!
Aside from that, my dogs are my responsibility and it's up to me to walk them, nobody else. I'd also like to think my dogs wouldn't respond for a stranger.

Laura xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 08:24 PM
I don't think any of my dogs would ever have let a stranger walk them quite honestly, they'd have dug their heels in, they didn't even like it if o/h had to walk them if I couldn't they just wanted to get back in the car and come home!

When we go away for a few days and I get my dogsitter in, she always has strict instructions not to take the dogs out, they have the garden, coz I just couldn't forgive myself if anything happened, I'd rather it be with me if something's going to happen, not somebody else, so I'd never, ever do it.

I had a big male gsd when I was about 12 and I used to take him everywhere with me after school, and he was never on a lead anyways, he just used to follow me everywhere, so I didn't as such have to control him, but now I'm a lot older and wiser (I hope!) I certainly wouldn't let any of my nieces/nephews walk my dogs for the same reasons as my dogsitting friend, it's the fear of losing them with me, or anything untoward happening, it just wouldn't be worth the risk or the worry for me.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 08:39 PM
While I was on holiday last December my dogs were walked by others and Archie jumped into a river and drowned So no, I wouldn't
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2009, 09:08 PM
That's terrible. So sorry you lost Archie.

Laura xx
GoldieBoy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-03-2009, 02:52 PM
This is a good point. I have an 8 year old Goldie. Although he's great with everyone, he's quite stuck in his ways, and likes to take his time when he goes for a stroll with me. I would get concerned that someone else wouldn't have the patience to walk him so that he enjoys it. I'd also be worried that someone else would lose him, as he's a big lad, and could esily pull away from a child, but i guess that depends on the breed.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 10:10 AM
i got my first dog when i was 9 and my mum and dad trusted me to walk him. when we first got him he pulled on the lead so i wasnt allowed to walk him then, but he learnt not to quickly so when he was good on the lead i was allowed to. my parents knew how much i loved him though so knew i would never let anything happen to him and he was amazingly behaved so knew he wouldnt do anything. now with jake though i wouldnt let anyone else walk him. he cant go for walks yet cause he hasnt had his 2nd vaccination lol but i know when he can, i wont let anyone else walk him lol. a girl in pets at home ask to hold him the other day and i didnt trust her to hold him. i was worried she would hurt him or drop him so it was a big no no lol

lauren
Billy1111
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-06-2009, 09:05 PM
hey tishs' mum, hope you having a great day.
I know i am , i have thoroughly enjoyed all the sunny weather and have made the most of it , my Leos thinks its slightly pants thought, so have to keep them nice and cool, bless em .
They have enjoyed a really fab swim .
I allow my children to walk the dog , but with me .I wouldn't let them walk the dog on there own and unfortunately believe there is or though don't hold me to this a law against children walking a dog on their own under a certain age.
As far as trust goes with Ryan ,why not sit down and discuss how you feel / you don't want him to resent you or your dog.
Explain why you don't think it is a good idea if he walks the dog.
Your dog is still young and doesn't need lots of physical exercise they and is still learning mental stimulation is just as tiring for your puppy.
As far as dog walkers go there are companies out there that do offer this type service ,
some have ex office staff some do not , just type in what you are searching for into google .
i would search for someone with experience in the canine field, i feel they probably have a better understanding of situations.
I would however ask for check-able references , make sure that the walker has done a basic canine first aid course and is insured.
recommendation is always the best way to find a walker the vets hold a list and should help you with this.
Another great way for you to ensure you are receiving value for money is to ask the walker if you can join them on a walk , you will be able to see the interaction between your dog and others
A good walker will , enjoy your company and have nothing to hide and you will feel happier knowing you dog is in safe hands.
Take time to find the right service , for you , everyone offers something different and what is right for one dog isnt right for another.
Good luck
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Mum got Bonnie when I was 8, and I walked her, even when she was a puppy, all by myself. I was generally a sensible child, so mum felt that me and bonnie would be fine, and the park was literally across round the corner, so i was never far away. It was the same when we got Clyde, I've always walked him bymyself. As I got older, me and the dogs would venture further away from home, but by then I had a mobile, so if we got into any trouble then I could call Mum and she'd come rescue us! Luckily though, nothing ever happened to any of us!

If I knew the person, then I'd be happy for them to walk my dogs. Usually, it's the headkeepers wife that does our dogs if we are away, and we know that she is the best person for the job. When we first moved here, our kennels weren't ready, so Hamish, Gracie and Misty lived with her anyway, so she knows that if you are walking Hamish & Gracie together, then call Hamish and they both come running, and give Misty food and she's your friend for life!
She's looked after Charlie many times before (long story, oh worked here, moved away for a year, then came back!) so I trust her with him anyway!
She has never looked after our other two terriers, but she'd walk them on a lead anyway, as she knows what terrier can be like.

I'm not sure if I'd let a child walk my dogs unsupervised, but ours don't get walked on leads, and I've had children come along before. I'd never let a child near my two house terriers, because I don't know what they might do!!

I'd never let a stranger walk my dogs, in case I never got them back!!
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >