Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2008, 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I think maybe we are all jumping to conclusions,
i do agree. that was why i was wondering if you knew if your comment that the daughter got the dog for them meant that the rescue were involved or not? because, obviously, if they werent, they cannot be criticised for knowingly rehoming an old BC to an elderly couple. that would be the daughters fault. otherwise, the rescue would be at fault, which is pretty bad.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
you would think the daughter may mention the dog was for elderly parents,, or some sort of home check would be done,,, thus the home the dog is going to would be checked,
I guess I go on what I see in my own area,,, which is not good on the part of the local council kennels,,, nuff said lol
not necessarily. maybe the daughter knew the rescue would not home a young dog to an old couple, so she simply told them she was the adopter. thus, she would be the only one assessed and it would be her home checked, not her relatives.
not too sure if i understand your last sentence. if you mean that this sort of wrong practice by rescues doesnt surprise you judging by what you see your local pound does, then that would be inccorect, as pounds are not rescues
sorry if i got the wrong end of the stick there.
unless of course your local council uses rescue?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Ahhhhhhhhh that I don't know, all I know is the old lady (by the way her name is Joan). told me 'Our daughter got him from BDH 3 1/2 year ago for us, as our old dog died.

But one thing I will say, that is where my son's BC came from, He a large very active Boy named Dillon, one the day we went to look at him, they suggested the Gary brought in his JRT to see if they got on. So in went pappi, they got on and away he went....with Dillon. No home check......

the reasons given, we don;t have anyone who does them.
Stourbridge is to far for us to get one of our staff out too.

Now I agree my dogs where with us and his JRT Pappi, and maybe they looked them all over and thought...great dogs, good condition etc.,
But that was the same day that I raised my concerns with the staff about 2 SBT's and 1X SBT......who were being offered FREE to good home.

Birmingham is an area where IMO these dogs should not be offered free or where any dog should not go without a home check.

3 year ago they DID do homes checks.....so I pressumme (and I can only guess) that the daughter was not being honest. But in saying that her daughter is in her middle 60's.
Maybe I headed the post wrong, but I feel that a young active breed should be with someone who can meet it's needs(whether the daughter said 'It's for my mother or not)she should of been made aware.
When Gary got Dillon no-one said a word to him, on the needs of BC's, again they could og thought 'Well his Mother has three' but this shouldn't of been the case. OK I do have 3, but Gary doesn't live with me and lives a different lifestyle, as he's in the Police, and I'm home all day for starters.

Anyway I will ring the BDH.....see if they remember him, and can offer support....but I doubt it. Queenwillow got Willow from there.....I will ask her whether a homecheck was done.......
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 07:43 AM
They seemed afraid of him
That's so often the problem... and the it makes it so much worse

We have a 'rescue kennels' near us which is basically, take in any dog, send out any dog. You can get any dog from there regardless of your situation.
I recently went to see a lady with two (maybe three) children who had got a dalmatian from there. She worked full time and the dog, who had scared off the dog walker, was put in a crate for 10 hours a day, then taken for a short walk. You just cannot keep a dog like that and if they had asked about her situation they'd have known a dally was not for her.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
That's so often the problem... and the it makes it so much worse

We have a 'rescue kennels' near us which is basically, take in any dog, send out any dog. You can get any dog from there regardless of your situation.
I recently went to see a lady with two (maybe three) children who had got a dalmatian from there. She worked full time and the dog, who had scared off the dog walker, was put in a crate for 10 hours a day, then taken for a short walk. You just cannot keep a dog like that and if they had asked about her situation they'd have known a dally was not for her.
See this is what I feel happpens too here. Overloaded with strays.....out they go to anyone who pays.
My son paid £75.00 for Dillon (Entire) and they gave him a voucher of £40 to take to his vet to have him neutered. Now he has been done, but Gary had him 6 weeks before hand....no-one rang him to see when he was getting it done.
tamazigh
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-07-2008, 01:08 PM
I totally agree with the above. Dogs should be matched with the home/owners. It's a sad situation that the couple love the dog but cannot control him/her. BC's(no experience with them) i presumed respond to owners commands due to the high intelligence of this breed. I feel sad for the dog. In the right hands it would probably be great. I dread to think if this irresponsible rescue would have handed over a larger or even more dominant breed.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 03:26 PM
i think really the rescue should not have rehomed a young collie ,who dos sound very will full with such a old couple , im saying that if they went to bordercollie rescue for instance ,like we did for dylan ,they would have matched there age with the dogs (older collie ) slow walks nice on the lead ,just wont cuddle , and a gentle walk ,they would never have been so thoughtless ,it obvious they wouldnt be able to cope with him ,its not the dog by any means ,he is just doing ,what come natural to him .he needs a younger handler with some experience of collies and training and probably a firm hand .he is just doing what he likes and running circles round them . training and firm hand and he be perfect . i do leave both of mine with my mom and dad ,but they are trained (up to a point ) but they lie on the floor ,as i leave them ,after they have had a really big run plenty of exercise ,and they have grown up with mom and dad seeing them very day , my parents are the same age as this couple (my dad is disabled ) but they could never walk mine (impossible ) they just like to see them and have them for company ,they love one another ,plus i have trained them to get up and move to the other side of the room if my dad gets up .which they both do ,straight away . if they contacted such a rescue ,i wonder if they would ,take this dog in rehome to the correct person and ,find this old couple a quite older dog ,every one be happy then . he sounds like fly ball agility dog in the makeing ,fuel some of that energy into a sport ,so to speak
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 03:34 PM
See this is what I feel happpens too here. Overloaded with strays.....out they go to anyone who pays.
My son paid £75.00 for Dillon (Entire) and they gave him a voucher of £40 to take to his vet to have him neutered. Now he has been done, but Gary had him 6 weeks before hand....no-one rang him to see when he was getting it done.
same her steph
we got willow from birmingham dogs home ,no home check ,i did call them to see ,and i sent them few up dates pictures ,to put on there board ,notice board ,to say how happy she stettled ect ,they didnt do no home check ,we had to take dylan to meet her ,and we did meet the vet ,he thought dylan was lovely and we chated with him and the staff . the week they keep them befor hand though ,i phoned every day to see if anyone had ,claimed her (willow) we got the voucher ,but with the girls ,they have no way of ,knowing ,if they have been spayed ,it turned out weeks later she hadnt
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by queenwillow View Post
i think really the rescue should not have rehomed a young collie
i totally agree, but like i have pointed out a few times, we dont actually know this has happened, as the couple told youngstevie their daughter got the dog from BDH for them.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 06:48 PM
i wonder if the daughter brought it for them as a present ,as they had just lost a dog ,and im guessing would be very upset ,she may have had there best interests at heart ,but just got it very wrong (with the collie needs ), which ever way ,it came into there lives ....its not the right dog for them ,and the dog will suffer in the long run . collies are for active people ,mine are out three times a day ,with the ball on the rope ,they go for long walks over the weekend for 3/4 hrs at a time ,off lead and free to run there is no way ,old people can keep up with active collie impossible with this life mine are never any trouble ,they are as good as gold because ,we match there needs ,and we love walking and being out doors .
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i totally agree, but like i have pointed out a few times, we dont actually know this has happened, as the couple told youngstevie their daughter got the dog from BDH for them.
this is true
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »